What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

On 4/22/2024 at 8:39 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

As someone who got burned out on Pearl Jam years and years ago and as someone who hasn't really liked very much since the late 90s,  I gotta say this new album Dark Matter is actually really good.   

I ****ing hate Eddie Vedder, but yeah, this is a good album ... 😏

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I ****ing hate Eddie Vedder, but yeah, this is a good album ... 😏

Seems like of all the giants of that scene, Eddie is the last lead singer left.   The rest of them are all gone, almost all by their own hand (intentionally or unintentionally - Cobain, Staley, Wood, Cornell, Lanegan, Weiland).     Someone ought to do a documentary about it,  it would be depressing as hell, Add to that the murder of Mia Zapata (not a star, but sad) and yeah,  Eddie kind of seems like the lone survivor

I know Scott Weiland wasn't from Seattle, but it was the same wave musically.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

55 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Seems like of all the giants of that scene, Eddie is the last lead singer left.   The rest of them are all gone, almost all by their own hand (intentionally or unintentionally - Cobain, Staley, Wood, Cornell, Lanegan, Weiland).     Someone ought to do a documentary about it,  it would be depressing as hell, Add to that the murder of Mia Zapata (not a star, but sad) and yeah,  Eddie kind of seems like the lone survivor

I know Scott Weiland wasn't from Seattle, but it was the same wave musically.  

What's Billy Corgan doing?

On 4/22/2024 at 9:39 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

As someone who got burned out on Pearl Jam years and years ago and as someone who hasn't really liked very much since the late 90s,  I gotta say this new album Dark Matter is actually really good.   

I really liked Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy.  Yield is probably the only album I liked for a stretch after that.  Lightening Bolt drew me back in.  I really, really liked Gigaton.  I like Dark Matter.

So, I knew this album was to drop soon.  But, with two teenaged daughters in the house, all I heard about was Taylor Swift's album coming out.  And my eldest was just in her high school musical this weekend, Mama Mia.  4 shows of ABBA songs.  Don't get me wrong, it was a good show, the students were good.  But, 4 shows of ABBA songs.  So, once I was reminded on Friday that Dark Matter was out, I've tried to scrub 4 shows of ABBA out of my head with Dark Matter.  People,.... this ain't easy.

On 4/22/2024 at 9:39 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Sounds about the same for me, although I'll defend the No Code album until the day I die.  Since the 2000's, seems like I'd try every album and would find at least 1 song I liked, but often not much more than that.  I've only played this album once and enjoyed it straight through.  That said, I can't identify any one single song that I think i'll prefer over the rest.  Not sure if that just speaks to the entire album being better than I expected or if maybe I just liked the overall song but maybe in the end I won't enjoy this one as much as I think I will.   Guess time will tell.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I really liked Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy.  Yield is probably the only album I liked for a stretch after that.  Lightening Bolt drew me back in.  I really, really liked Gigaton.  I like Dark Matter.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Sounds about the same for me, although I'll defend the No Code album until the day I die. 

Yield is my favorite followed closely by No Code and Avocado.    

End of the day though, this is a live band and the studio albums don’t do them justice.  They’ve done a great job of making their bootlegs accessible.   It’s nice to see them back out on the road more regularly.  The shows last 9 years have been so sparse that it’s been hard to justify their place among the greatest touring bands.   I’m sure they will do that again this summer.  

@ewsieg find a copy of 10/17/14 - Moline, IL.   You will love it. 

Edit: it’s on YouTube with video but won’t let me link to if from here.

Edited by Hongbit

On 4/23/2024 at 9:59 AM, oblong said:

They were my least favorite of that scene... kind of like I was into hair metal bands but Bon Jovi tried to be but were fake about it.  Had to keep up appearances and maintain some broad appeal.

I used to love all of those bands too and now I don't listen to a ton of it but I think Bon Jovi (from that time period) is legit good. 

Livin on a Prayer is a top 5 tune for me.   I love it.   Runaway is aweome too.

And I can't believe someone has never leveraged the typo I just made, bong jovi

Edited by pfife

In 1987 I was playing baseball.  8th grade.  The field we used was in a neighborhood, not on school grounds.  I was up to bat and a car went by blaring that with the windows down.  I hit a triple and the car was going by right as I slid into 3B.   I never forgot that and think about it every time I hear the song.

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Blood, Sweat and Tears. 

Amazing arrangements, D C Thomas' voice is still a one in a million. 

Sort of like hearing the Beatles now, it's hard to orient to how ground breaking the sound was in '67

Sometimes in Winter is an unappreciated cut from the first album. Still one of my all time favorites