What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

Posted (edited)

I listen to music in a strange way,  always listening what might fit on the radio and I rarely ever just listen to a whole album anymore.   Always on the hunt for the next great song or on the hunt for the perfect older song to put next to it.    But I can't get enough of the new Lemon Twigs album "A Dream Is All I Know".   60's and 70's style AM radio pop brought back to life.   These guys are great.       They wear their influences on their sleeve (and I am fine with that, they don't deny it like Greta Van Fleet did at first).  Much of the album is a love letter to Brian Wilson, who wasn't afraid to challenge the listener, which always makes music more compelling (and it's why commercial country sucks).   This is Byrds/Teenage Fanclub/Big Star here and I love all three of those artists.   If you listen to current pop and country radio, the art of the harmony (and melody) is lost.    Not with these brothers.  

(If I am forced to listen to a Top 40 station these days - like in a waiting room or store - the lack of melody and harmony and repetitive nature of it gives me a headache). 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I listen to music in a strange way,  always listening what might fit on the radio and I rarely ever just listen to a whole album anymore.   Always on the hunt for the next great song or on the hunt for the perfect older song to put next to it.    But I can't get enough of the new Lemon Twigs album "A Dream Is All I Know".   60's and 70's style AM radio pop brought back to life.   These guys are great.       They wear their influences on their sleeve (and I am fine with that, they don't deny it like Greta Van Fleet did at first).  Much of the album is a love letter to Brian Wilson, who wasn't afraid to challenge the listener, which always makes music more compelling (and it's why commercial country sucks).   This is Byrds/Teenage Fanclub/Big Star here and I love all three of those artists.   If you listen to current pop and country radio, the art of the harmony (and melody) is lost.    Not with these brothers.  

(If I am forced to listen to a Top 40 station these days - like in a waiting room or store - the lack of melody and harmony and repetitive nature of it gives me a headache). 

yup - Roger McGuinn's 12 string and America's voicing, but their sense of rhythm needs work -  boring.

Related: I've read the studio used session men on the Byrd's first recording work because they didn't believe McGuinn could play the guitar.... LOL

Edited by gehringer_2

I listen to the Drew Lane Show (former Drew and Mike Podcast) and they have a guy that does Top Ten "X" where X is some specific type of song, like Top Ten songs with a false ending.  Seeing the Old 97's and the first thought I had was "what about a top ten bands that everyone knows, but never made it big"

They have been such a solid band for so long, had songs in movies, a handful of top 10's.

Unrelated, it's usually the Friday show (comes out Thursday night) and you can find a timestamp for when it starts in the show notes if you don't care to listen to the show but want to listen to this segment.  Often it leads to some great music discussions. 

55 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

7 years ago today

RIP Legend

A friend of mine was at the Fox show and is photographed fist bumping him as he walked off the stage. He was able to contact the photographer to get a print of it to frame for his house. So sad. Not long after that he’s gone.  He texted me after the show. He only got one ticket so I couldn’t go.  I went to bed.  In the morning I saw he was gone. So surreal. 

this song was my favorite of the entire era and movement and they wer  my favorite band. More so than blackhole sun. 

• Like 1