What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

I don't normally watch music award shows as I'm not into pop music but last night was awesome. To see both Joni Mitchell and Tracy Chapman get put back onto the mainstage and get recognition was nice to see. And then to have BOTH Tyler Childers and Zach Bryan get nominated for Country Album of the Year made me so happy. It is nice to see that the great music these guys have been writing, along with Jason Isbell, is finally getting the mainstream recognition they deserve. There is so much bad music out there that gets spotlighted from the likes of Blake Shelton, Florida-Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, and all the other bro-country artists out there. So to see Jason, Tyler, and Zach all have their music nominated for Grammy awards and to know that fans are getting exposed to better music these days than they were just a few year ago is very refreshing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I’ve never been a Joni Mitchell fan apart from Blue, but that’s an incredible song. It was played at the Closing Ceremonies of the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver and also appears in Love Actually, so a couple of other places young people were exposed to it. 
Why did I think Tracy Chapman died last year?

I'm seeing a bit of discussion about Fast Car and Luke Combs. I like this pairing and the fact that Combs had wanted to record Fast Car since he was introduced to it by his father many years ago. 

I'm now seeing that the Tracy Chapman album with Fast Car is one of the top downloads this morning, introducing her to a whole new group. 

55 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

. And then to have BOTH Tyler Childers and Zach Bryan get nominated for Country Album of the Year made me so happy. It is nice to see that the great music these guys have been writing, along with Jason Isbell, is finally getting the mainstream recognition they deserve. 

But not on mainstream Country radio.   Won't touch those guys with a 10 foot pole.   Another reason why that format is the worst. 

Another documentary worth checking out, Chuck Leavell, The Tree Man. probably the best rock pianist around. Played with the Allman Brothers in their prime, toured with the Stones and served as their musical director, founded Sea Level, not to mention recorded and toured with Clapton, John Mayer, Govmt Mule,among others.

He's also a tree farmer in Georgia and co founder of the Mother Nature Network. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

count me as someone who's totally wrapped up in this Tracy Chapman/Luke Combs thing.   That performance and the crowd reaction is pretty damn overwhelming for me and is honestly the thing I love about music.  I put it right up there with some of the greatest rock performances I've ever seen.  All of the people singing back to them kills me.

I've never listened to any of Luke Combs's music but have seen him on College Gameday and read other news articles about him and he seems like an awesomely legit dude.   I'm probably going to give some of his songs listen.   I'm not at all a country music person (but learning country music guitar now) and like I said about it being what I love about music, it could be a new road for me.

well... American music is traced back to black men, sons of slaves probably, teaching white boys how to play the guitar on the front porch of the old country stores.... and that is where the blues birthed country music which then lead to.... everything.

On 2/5/2024 at 11:36 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't normally watch music award shows as I'm not into pop music but last night was awesome. To see both Joni Mitchell and Tracy Chapman get put back onto the mainstage and get recognition was nice to see. And then to have BOTH Tyler Childers and Zach Bryan get nominated for Country Album of the Year made me so happy. It is nice to see that the great music these guys have been writing, along with Jason Isbell, is finally getting the mainstream recognition they deserve. There is so much bad music out there that gets spotlighted from the likes of Blake Shelton, Florida-Georgia Line, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, and all the other bro-country artists out there. So to see Jason, Tyler, and Zach all have their music nominated for Grammy awards and to know that fans are getting exposed to better music these days than they were just a few year ago is very refreshing.

Feelings exactly.

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It was Sixty years ago today.   When first touched at at JFK.  

Two of them were 24, one was 22 and one was 21. Imagine being that young and having that sort of fame. It would have wrecked a lot of people.

3 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Two of them were 24, one was 22 and one was 21. Imagine being that young and having that sort of fame. It would have wrecked a lot of people.

Oh yeah,   I know,  I get it, but it's still sad.      And it was beyond fame, it was obsession.      They handled it better than Cobain did.   He wanted to be famous and it killed him. 

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh yeah,   I know,  I get it, but it's still sad.      And it was beyond fame, it was obsession.      They handled it better than Cobain did.   He wanted to be famous and it killed him. 

Well he also had heroin and Courtney love as part of the cocktail.

4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Well he also had heroin and Courtney love as part of the cocktail.

Yes, it was a Drano Daquiri but he wasn't ready for that non-stop attention.  He was already on the edge before, but the fame pushed him over it.    Can't go back to normal after that.    All that adoration has a steep cost.     

I met Mojo Nixon while working at the Edge in East Lansing in the mid 90's, he was playing next door at The Small Planet and came over for a chat on the air and it was every bit as fun and weird as you would expect. He had the best Hospitality Rider (list of requests or demands by the artist) I've ever seen. It was short. Something like "Mojo wants beer. Cheap American Beer. 2 cases. Get some for his band too. Mojo wants towels because he sweats a lot. Mojo doesn't want deodorant but you should get some for him if you want to spend any time with Mojo." And that was about it.

R.I.P. you wonderful, crazy lunatic

Mojo Nixon's family's statement on his death is awesome.

Mojo Nixon
How you live is
how you should die.
Mojo Nixon was full-tilt, wide-open
rock hard, root hog, corner on two wheels + on fire…

Passing after a blazing show, a raging night, closing the bar, taking no prisoners
+ a good breakfast with bandmates and friends.
A cardiac event on the Outlaw Country Cruise is about right… & that’s just how he did it.

Mojo has left the building.
Since Elvis is everywhere, we know he was waiting for him in the alley out back.
Heaven help us all.

Elvis needs boats.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damn, man these are some cold, but emotional lyrics. A person can change, but they often have to do it on their own time and merit. You can't make a person change into what you want them to be. Substantial life changes by a person often come from their own volition. When a person is fighting and working hard to better themselves and change their habits, be good to them, embrace the changes they have made, but recognize that you may not be able to be the one to fix them along the way.

If I'm a different man tomorrow
You be good to that unlucky fool for me
He don't know where he is
Or through what color eyes he's seeing
But he wouldn't hurt a thing

Tell Mama, I'm out touring
That any day now, I'll be coming off the road
Tell my brother that I'm sorry
And don't try to fix me when I'm broke

Record label guy "How in the world are you not playing the new Foo Fighters song "The Glass", it's #15 !"

Because I already play that record.  Over and Over and Over.   I have about 9 versions of the same song. 

The band is in a creative rut.  They keep doing the same song. 

I expect that from a one trick pony like Jack Johnson

But Dave Grohl - you're better than that.   Come up with something new !

"Show Me How" is a good track, but they won't make it a single (because it slightly breaks the formula?)

Same thing with Green Day.   The label keeps releasing the same song as the singles (that were once Kinks songs with different lyrics), but there are 2 very good tracks on the album that are a little different.   

The most exciting stuff is the stuff that is a little different.  

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If you liked Oasis or Brit Pop in general, this new Liam Gallagher & John Squire album is fantastic   

That's fantastic.  On a side note, I saw Liam putting out some hints at a reunion just last week, but again, doing it through social media rather than just calling Noel.