What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

Okay,  maybe your first reaction is that the Beatles, I mean THE BEATLES song didn't blow you away. 

Now that you know that,  give it another try.   It is a pretty good song.  It's the bridge of the song, stacking minor chords on top of each other without being morbid was a John Lennon specialty.     You'll like it more upon further listens.   Like a movie you didn't quite get the first time but you wind up finding something new upon further viewings (Donnie Darko comes to mind). 

On 11/3/2023 at 12:37 PM, oblong said:

I hate AC/DC so I can’t be objective. I don’t know why I just am tired of hearing them.  Maybe too much exposure. 

I get it. That was Boston for me for about ten years. I had to say "enough already" and couldn't switch away fast enough. Then one day I listened with "fresh ears" and appreciated what they did.

The thing with AC/DC is that a lot of the same songs get way overplayed and people write them off as playing the same three chords over and over. The deeper cuts defy that. Guitarists appreciate the power of what they play because it sounds so huge and its just a guitar and amps turned really loud.

But then you hear something like this (as a guitarist) and it is so mind blowingly good, fast and aggressive. It is a talent to play something that fast articulately without relying on a ton of distortion/gain/delay. A lot of these shredders from the 80's and modern day rely on a lot of gain and delay. 

This song. Stumbled across again today.  Album released in 1989, the annus mirabulus of the second half of the 20th century.  Was prior to the great events of the second half of the year as i recall.  

In the context of all those millions suddenly becoming free and others thinking they might be (China)…the song is very prescient.

I am much more into classical music than as a kid (and I would guess this is normal).   Funny, most of us were really introduced to classical music through cartoons.  I love parts of Carmen because it was used in the original Bad News Bears movie (because it was royalty-free, LOL). 

Back in the 80s I was home one day,  Tigers were supposed to be on but it rained out and it was just a lousy day, so clicking around I stopped on the movie Amadeus.   Never had much appeal to me, but had nothing else to do.  Within 15 minutes I was glued to it, knowing virtually nothing about classical music or Mozart,  The movie (and play) is brilliant and F. Murray Abraham deserved his Oscar.   Funny that the guy who played Pinto in Animal House played Mozart, but according to the movie (and many biographies) Pinto was far more mature than Mozart was.    Tom Hulce was great too and probably finished second to Abraham at the Oscars.   Started developing a whole new appreciation for the music after this movie.  The only unfortunate thing is that it really does unfairly smear Salieri, who had nothin to really do with Mozart's death.  Wolfie exhausted himself with work, partying and drugs/drink.  Like a true rock star would.    I love this scene and how Salieri finally gets it, how his jealousy finally goes away and he can appreciate the genius of it.   I love that someone put the scene to sheet music.  Mozart unknowingly writing his own Requiem.   I watched this movie a couple times when I had Covid recently.  Kind of forgot how brilliant it was. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am much more into classical music than as a kid (and I would guess this is normal).   Funny, most of us were really introduced to classical music through cartoons.  I love parts of Carmen because it was used in the original Bad News Bears movie (because it was royalty-free, LOL). 

Back in the 80s I was home one day,  Tigers were supposed to be on but it rained out and it was just a lousy day, so clicking around I stopped on the movie Amadeus.   Never had much appeal to me, but had nothing else to do.  Within 15 minutes I was glued to it, knowing virtually nothing about classical music or Mozart,  The movie (and play) is brilliant and F. Murray Abraham deserved his Oscar.   Funny that the guy who played Pinto in Animal House played Mozart, but according to the movie (and many biographies) Pinto was far more mature than Mozart was.    Tom Hulce was great too and probably finished second to Abraham at the Oscars.   Started developing a whole new appreciation for the music after this movie.  The only unfortunate thing is that it really does unfairly smear Salieri, who had nothin to really do with Mozart's death.  Wolfie exhausted himself with work, partying and drugs/drink.  Like a true rock star would.    I love this scene and how Salieri finally gets it, how his jealousy finally goes away and he can appreciate the genius of it.   I love that someone put the scene to sheet music.  Mozart unknowingly writing his own Requiem.   I watched this movie a couple times when I had Covid recently.  Kind of forgot how brilliant it was. 

There are several MP3s floating around the Internet of full shows of Karl Haas’ Adventures In Fine Music that used to air on WJR. 

https://archive.org/search?query=subject%3A"Adventures+in+Good+Music"

Edited by lordstanley

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Did you catch the 'live performance' of the movie at Hill a few years ago? Very cool.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My story wouldn't be much different.

I've watched this movie so many times I've lost count.

My only problem is that I've discovered a nice library of classical music that I love but I never seem to have enough patience for it and always revert back to my rock-n-roll. I very infrequently sit down to just enjoy classical.

Same with jazz... there is so much that I love but... my impatience again always throws me back to rnr.

Edited by 1984Echoes

On 11/3/2023 at 11:37 AM, oblong said:

I like the Pink Floyd suggestion. Had enough mainstream appeal and still with the critics too.  I heard an acoustic version of Money and it stood out to me.  Sometimes you need to hear someone else do it to appreciate it again  

I hate AC/DC so I can’t be objective. I don’t know why I just am tired of hearing them.  Maybe too much exposure. 

I felt that way about them in 1981. I "hated" a lot of bands at that time for their overexposure on a rapidly-calcifying Detroit rock radio scene. It's not for nothing that WLLZ seemed to be an acronym for "We Love Led Zeppelin".

Funnily enough, I softened up toward AC/DC in the 2010s thanks to, of all entities, the Chicago White Sox. For years the team would enter the field for a game to the strains of "Thunderstruck", which seemed like a really perfect super-energetic entrance theme. I really dug that, and that led me to start going through more of AC/DC's catalog, re-listening to the songs I "hated" for their overexposure way back then, and started enjoying even songs like "Back in Black" more. Funny how great gobs of time can change your mind about things you felt so immutably sure of (which Jeff Tweedy can certainly attest to).

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 1:12 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay,  maybe your first reaction is that the Beatles, I mean THE BEATLES song didn't blow you away. 

Now that you know that,  give it another try.   It is a pretty good song.  It's the bridge of the song, stacking minor chords on top of each other without being morbid was a John Lennon specialty.     You'll like it more upon further listens.   Like a movie you didn't quite get the first time but you wind up finding something new upon further viewings (Donnie Darko comes to mind). 

I've listened to it all the way through three times now and I like it about as much as I like John Lennon's "Beautiful Boy".