What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

18 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

The Replacements - Tim (Ed Stasium Mix)

One of the best albums of all time, but horribly produced. This new mix improves on that greatly. Just great. 

ACA4CBBF-F82B-41EC-9D31-5F6D46AC6203.jpeg

The Matt Wallace mix  of Dead Man's Pop is much better then the album release

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Toddwert said:

The Matt Wallace mix  of Dead Man's Pop is much better then the album release

Always felt like "Don't Tell A Soul" was this.   Hey guys, you recorded the stuff for your album, now go away and we'll put it together without you.    I don't even know how much of the final mix of the album that came out back then was actually The Mats playing.     It just sounded too clean.   But also, when I saw them on their final tour (in that time frame) they sounded much better as a band than I had ever heard them before.   They were fairly sober at that point, which probably had a lot to do with it.   They were not speaking to each other at that point and the show ended when one of them, it might have been Tommy, looked at his watch and said "well, that's 90 minutes........good night" and they walked off, lights up almost immediately.   Pure Mats.    They ended that night with the song I.O.U.  ("want it in writing, I owe you nothing").   Well, I guess they meant what they said.   It was always something with them, that was part of the appeal.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
more info

Underappreciated in America gem from the late 70s.      Top 10 in the UK.     Never forgot this song.     Andrew Gold was a great musician. 

By the way, this song, allegedly, is about Saturday Night Live's Lorraine Newman, who Gold met when Linda Ronstadt played on the show.   He went back to L.A. and wrote this song about her. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Underappreciated in America gem from the late 70s.      Top 10 in the UK.     Never forgot this song.     Andrew Gold was a great musician. 

By the way, this song, allegedly, is about Saturday Night Live's Lorraine Newman, who Gold met when Linda Ronstadt played on the show.   He went back to L.A. and wrote this song about her. 

I wasn’t familiar with this song, but I also just really liked it. The harmonies are great.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:25 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

He gave us Thank You For Being a Friend!

The Golden Girls' Turns 30: Facts You May Not Know About the Series - ABC  News

Mary Chapin Carpenter was in town in A2 the other night. Sadly, I missed the show and did not end up going after debating it. I absolutely love MCC's songwriting and storytelling though. Her Stones in the Road album is one of the very best albums of the 1990s and is at the top of my favorite country/folk/americana albums of all time.

18 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mary Chapin Carpenter was in town in A2 the other night. Sadly, I missed the show and did not end up going after debating it. I absolutely love MCC's songwriting and storytelling though. Her Stones in the Road album is one of the very best albums of the 1990s and is at the top of my favorite country/folk/americana albums of all time.

Lucinda's at the Michigan Theater on Tuesday next week 

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

An album that will surprise you if you give it a chance.

The self titled album by Katrina & The Waves.    Yeah, the "Walking On Sunshine" Band

It's a solid rock album.   Quite overlooked.   She's got a hell of a voice. 

And from their follow up album, this wonderful gem,  organ, horns and a big booming voice.  Great song

My buddy sent me this.  I didn't think he listened to anything outside of 70's rock and 80's metal.  The link had a preview with #comedy which had me thinking it was a parody at first, but apparently that's just the name of the album this is on.  I can't stop singing it.  Queen like feel.

44 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I can almost hear @Mr.TaterSalad grinding his teeth as he reads the praise for Lady Gaga! 😄

I'll never not believe she is a total phony. If you want to call yourself Lady Gaga as a stage name instead of Stefani Germanotta, that's fine. Lots of singers have stage names. If you want to dress in different, weird, or unique costumes on stage, that's fine too. I love KISS and they built a career out of it. But to want me to believe that his is the type of person you really are, even when he lights and camera aren't on you, that I cannot do. I am just not going to believe this is how you really are behind the scenes and that you aren't just doing this all for the media attention. I also don't believe she refers to her real life friends as Little Monsters. She's got a fantastic PR team, I'll give her that.

How did Lady Gaga get away with being so weird while still ...

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Thanks 1

I just see her as a modern David Bowie... appearance is part of the art form. Not everyone has to like the expression.  In terms of pure music she has talent and chops.  She wears costumes.  But so does Brandi Carlisle and Amanda Shires (both of which I saw on display at the R&R HOF 3 weeks ago).

IMG_4799.jpeg

IMG_4801.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'll never not believe she is a total phony. If you want to call yourself Lady Gaga as a stage name instead of Stefani Germanotta, that's fine. Lots of singers have stage names. If you want to dress in different, weird, or unique costumes on stage, that's fine too. I love KISS and they built a career out of it. But to want me to believe that his is the type of person you really are, even when he lights and camera aren't on you, that I cannot do. I am just not going to believe this is how you really are behind the scenes and that you aren't just doing this all for the media attention. I also don't believe she refers to her real life friends as Little Monsters. She's got a fantastic PR team, I'll give her that.

How did Lady Gaga get away with being so weird while still ...

I don't often keep track of who says what on this forum, but I distinctly remember that you were not a fan of her so I pulled the cord on the lawnmower! 😄