What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

Last night, having trouble falling asleep (but not wanting to actually get out of bed), I listened to a podcast 

Strike Force Five. I listened to the episode where the guys were discussing their wives.

Just listening to the laughter was the key to me settling down enough that I was asleep at some point before it ended. 

i will probably listen to others, but will also try and line up other comic podcasts…. They seem to help me sleep better than melatonin, ambien , etc. 🙂

IMG_3436.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Going to see Willie tonight out at Pine Knob.

I've seen the Infamous Stringdusters a few times.  When I got the alert they were playing at Pine Knob it puzzled me as it seemed a little big time for them, now I see why.

Should be a good show.  I've seen Bob Weir's solo show too.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Things I didn't know until this morning.  He did music too.  And you've definitely heard of this one.   I also learned a few weeks ago that Billy Squire has made millions from people sampling his riffs. 

His son Val is a decent guitar picker. Tours with Jackson Browne and Jach****

Edited by CMRivdogs

6 hours ago, oblong said:

I also learned a few weeks ago that Billy Squire has made millions from people sampling his riffs. 

I loved Billy Squier.  I know the Rock Me Tonight video is "credited" with ruining his career, but I still like the song. The video is an unmitigated disaster though. I hope that director was never allowed behind a camera again.

And now I see a track just released yesterday called Powerhouse on Spotify. Nice!

Actually, that's just a remix of an old song. There is a release from March called Harder On a Woman, but it's not great.

Edited by Shades of Deivi Cruz

On 9/22/2023 at 10:54 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Seen him earlier this year. Don't expect much, he did 2 songs then his kids do the rest of the show. 

You were right. Willie would randomly stop signing and his son would take over. That said, it was a lot of fun to smoke a couple of joints and see Willie Nelson live. He's 90 years old, so I can forgive him for not being as spry as he once was.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

The Replacements - Tim (Ed Stasium Mix)

One of the best albums of all time, but horribly produced. This new mix improves on that greatly. Just great. 

ACA4CBBF-F82B-41EC-9D31-5F6D46AC6203.jpeg

One of those cases where a  major record label falls in love with a band and signs them and then for some reason wants to change them and interferes.    This happened to Spoon and they bought themselves out of their contract and stayed indie.   Why sign them and change them?  Never made sense to me.    

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This happened to Spoon and they bought themselves out of their contract and stayed indie.   Why sign them and change them?  Never made sense to me.    

probably because some exec hears something in what they do that makes him say to himself, "With a little work they could sound just like ''X'", where 'X' is some group that made someone else a lot of money. Attempts at copycatting in the entertainment industry have been going on for as long as there has been an industry. Same paradigm as sitcom and movie genre copycatting. The boardroom won't care if you don't have the creativity and luck to start the next big thing, if you are at least good at jumping on the bandwagon when someone else starts one.

59 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

probably because some exec hears something in what they do that makes him say to himself, "With a little work they could sound just like ''X'", where 'X' is some group that made someone else a lot of money. Attempts at copycatting in the entertainment industry have been going on for as long as there has been an industry. Same paradigm as sitcom and movie genre copycatting. The boardroom won't care if you don't have the creativity and luck to start the next big thing, if you are at least good at jumping on the bandwagon when someone else starts one.

The whole thing is that if you are looking for The Next (Blank) than you're already behind the curve.    This happened in the 90s with Alternative Radio.  Everything had to sound like Pearl Jam.   Even Pearl Jam couldn't stand it.   Portishead comes along with Sour Times and I put it in the playlist right away.  Consultant lost his mind.     Listeners LOVED it.  

This is this mentality in radio that your station should be wallpaper - just exist in the background,  not really getting attention.   It's such a loser mentality. `  I want to put a station on the air that makes people believe they might actually miss something good.  It only takes 1-2 songs an hour to build that