What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

23 minutes ago, pfife said:

and all of those supporting staff dudes are top of their field as well.   It's so awesome.   I've watched videos where Trey runs down his guitar rig and I just walk away thinking he's gotta have several top flight techs to manage and maintain that as well.   Oh how much fun it would be to have unlimited resources.

It's really crazy to see how these things become a business and like any business you get people that are extremely specialized and good at their roles .   I've mentioned it here before but Some Kind of Monster by Metallica gives similar kind of insight.    

Kiko does a lot of behind-the-scenes videos and when I see the warehouse and the support staff I always think about "the business of Megadeth". It's more than a band at this point. It's a business.

9 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Kiko does a lot of behind-the-scenes videos and when I see the warehouse and the support staff I always think about "the business of Megadeth". It's more than a band at this point. It's a business.

yeah man the warehouses are one of the things that totally gets me in the Metallica movie as well!    

I also think...... having a multi-million dollar business w/ hundreds of lives depending on folks like.................   Dave Mustaine...... Lars Ulrich...... Axl Rose......   the list goes on.    Seems like that could be a really stressful way through life in some ways

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

yeah man the warehouses are one of the things that totally gets me in the Metallica movie as well!    

I also think...... having a multi-million dollar business w/ hundreds of lives depending on folks like.................   Dave Mustaine...... Lars Ulrich...... Axl Rose......   the list goes on.    Seems like that could be a really stressful way through life in some ways

And those three people are all volatile personalities and the order you have them in is the order of volatility. Dave is much better now that he's been sober for quite some time. I think he is difficult to work under but would probably leave you alone if you do exactly what he asks. I would never want to work for someone like Lars and Axl.

22 minutes ago, pfife said:

Late adds to that list include Jerry Garcia, All of Motley Crue except the band dad Mick Mars

I was really into Crue in middle school.... up until Theater of Pain.  I listened to that again a few years ago and it was such a rush to hear those songs again.  Hadn't listened to them since the 80's and they were as fresh as could be in my mind.  I love that experience.

On 8/17/2023 at 7:28 PM, Hongbit said:

Honestly, I don’t get it at all.  It’s not bad but there’s absolutely nothing exceptional about this song.   It’s very average lyrics with basic guitar and a guy singing loudly to make his vocal sound more impressive than it really is.

There are thousands of unknown musicians with original songs that are at least as good or better both on songwriting and composition.

I wish Jason Isbell, Margo Price, John Moreland, Strugill Simpson, got half the attention this guy is getting. He's really being coopted it seems by the right. I don't know if this is an actual rise to the top by Oliver Anthony or music industry astroturfing to make him seem authentic. 

53 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I wish Jason Isbell, Margo Price, John Moreland, Strugill Simpson, got half the attention this guy is getting. He's really being coopted it seems by the right. I don't know if this is an actual rise to the top by Oliver Anthony or music industry astroturfing to make him seem authentic. 

The fans did the K-Pop things and artificially inflated this.     Tired of hearing about this.........it's average.   

On 8/31/2023 at 11:25 AM, romad1 said:

I have some deep cut Big Country on the youtube algorithm today.  I miss Stuart Adamson.  A real loss.  

He did me a favor once.   Big Country came into our station in Georgia in 1993.   We needed a couple of extra mics for their performance so I went into the Prod Studio and grabbed a mic, including the mic arm and I grabbed it where the springs are and got the palm of my hand stuck in the springs and it hurt like hell and folks were scrambling to find a screw driver and Stuart just walked up and said "sorry about this"  put his hand on my shoulder and with his other hand just yanked it off my hand.   It didn't hurt all that much when he did it.  Not like I thought it would.  He said "that's the only way it was coming off..........I've done it too".     It left a bruise and he signed my bruise with a sharpie.  

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 3:56 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Saw Arctic Monkeys and Fontaines D.C. last night at Pine Knob.  Packed house.  I was just as into Fontaines as Monkeys, but today I am hurting.  I mean, I am in SERIOUS pain today. 

All I did was go to a concert.  There was no drinking.  There was no wildness. 

**** aging..........

Not familiar with Fontaines, but saw AM before when they opened for Black Keys. I believe that show was at Joe Louis Arena.

25 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Not familiar with Fontaines, but saw AM before when they opened for Black Keys. I believe that show was at Joe Louis Arena.

I went to that show.  Missed a bunch of AM because the Joe Louis Arena entry was a clusterbleep.  Two doors open........that's it.    Ask the folks in Cincinnati how well that strategy works. 

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He did me a favor once.   Big Country came into our station in Georgia in 1993.   We needed a couple of extra mics for their performance so I went into the Prod Studio and grabbed a mic, including the mic arm and I grabbed it where the springs are and got the palm of my hand stuck in the springs and it hurt like hell and folks were scrambling to find a screw driver and Stuart just walked up and said "sorry about this"  put his hand on my shoulder and with his other hand just yanked it off my hand.   It didn't hurt all that much when he did it.  Not like I thought it would.  He said "that's the only way it was coming off..........I've done it too".     It left a bruise and he signed my bruise with a sharpie.  

Oh, that's a very cool story.   He definitely had a very dark streak which was clearly alcoholism and depression.  He became "spiritual" during this battle.    The album he did in Nashville as a project called The Raphaels was very interesting.  Very dark and brooding and very christian.   Not my usual fare to be sure but very interesting.  Not for everyone and certainly not for the Oi, Oi, Oi rowdy celtic rock crowd.

35 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

RIP Jimmy Buffett. 

I need a cheeseburger and green label.

Wow.  Wasn’t expecting this one.

I’ve seen him in Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, and Las Vegas.

The Vegas one….  A certain poster around here kicked the idea about our Buffett group of several couples going there.  So, he texted me one morning about tickets going on sale in less than an hour, are me and my wife in?  Well, my wife and I hadn’t really made a decision.  So my response was, well, the wife didn’t say no, so, sure, we’re in.  And that’s how we saw him in Vegas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, romad1 said:

Oh, that's a very cool story.   He definitely had a very dark streak which was clearly alcoholism and depression.  He became "spiritual" during this battle.    The album he did in Nashville as a project called The Raphaels was very interesting.  Very dark and brooding and very christian.   Not my usual fare to be sure but very interesting.  Not for everyone and certainly not for the Oi, Oi, Oi rowdy celtic rock crowd.

I know, it was depressing to hear about him taking his own life.    He was really nice to everyone when we met him.   He was honest about how tough the music business could be.   They should have had way more than one hit in the U.S.   It's something I have never understood.  So many artists like that.

The great Irish band Ash has a new album coming and on Under The Radar it will be Pick Of The Week and the show will have the theme "Hung Up At Customs",  a bunch of great bands that just never broke through in the States.   I won't include Big Country because they did have the one big hit, but "Fields of Fire" and "Look Away" should have been just as big.    Our station played "The One I Love" from that album, but the song you posted, Seven Seas should have been the U.S. single.    I think the label in the U.S. probably wanted the one that sounded the most like Pearl Jam or some other band.  Everything had to sound like Pearl Jam after while......it's what killed the Alternative format.  

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know, it was depressing to hear about him taking his own life.    He was really nice to everyone when we met him.   He was honest about how tough the music business could be.   They should have had way more than one hit in the U.S.   It's something I have never understood.  So many artists like that.

The great Irish band Ash has a new album coming and on Under The Radar it will be Pick Of The Week and the show will have the theme "Hung Up At Customs",  a bunch of great bands that just never broke through in the States.   I won't include Big Country because they did have the one big hit, but "Fields of Fire" and "Look Away" should have been just as big.    Our station played "The One I Love" from that album, but the song you posted, Seven Seas should have been the U.S. single.    I think the label in the U.S. probably wanted the one that sounded the most like Pearl Jam or some other band.  Everything had to sound like Pearl Jam after while......it's what killed the Alternative format.  

So weird that U2 which was basically a similar celtic alternative band explode and they didn't -- as much.   I liked U2 a lot but that always had me wonder.  Maybe they just were more interested in the more interesting leading man, which Bono clearly was.   

10 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So weird that U2 which was basically a similar celtic alternative band explode and they didn't -- as much.   I liked U2 a lot but that always had me wonder.  Maybe they just were more interested in the more interesting leading man, which Bono clearly was.   

Sure - Bono is/was an engaging singer. Also the tunes matter. U2 managed to come up with some interesting ones.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 8/18/2023 at 8:22 AM, pfife said:

Have you seen what's left of the Who live before?   Pete is so freaking awesome man, face melting all the time.    It's one of those situations where you really haven't heard Townsend until you've seen them live.   I think I've seen the 5 times or so and it's incredible every time. One time I saw them was like 2 weeks after entwhistle died. 

I saw the original Who on November 20, 1971 in the old Charlotte (NC) Coliseum. They were on the ‘Who’s Next’ Tour. The opening act was some local band-can you imagine opening for The Who! The Who were awesome, as one would expect. This is the only time I ever saw them but I believe they were probably at their peak at about this time. 

Edited by 1776
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I saw the original Who on November 20, 1971 in the old Charlotte (NC) Coliseum. They were on the ‘Who’s Next’ Tour. The opening act was some local band-can you imagine opening for The Who! The Who were awesome, as one would expect. This is the only time I ever saw them but I believe they were probably at their peak at about this time. 

'71 would have been between Tommy and Quadrophenia - definitely peak Who.