What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

On 6/13/2023 at 11:15 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The new Jason Isbell album Weathervanes has dropped. I haven't given it a full listen yet but am excited to do so very soon. As a huge fan of Jason's, I recognize that there will never be an album that compares to his 2012 album Southeastern. So I don't hold the expectation that he needs to record a Southeastern 2.0 type of album and don't expect this album to be that. His Southeastern album was deeply personal and was produced as he was coming out of a very dark time of his life. So I judge each album on its own merits and for their own artistic value and songwriting. And Isbell offers a lot of artistic value and always incredible song writing. I truly do believe he is the greatest songwriter of our times. The modern day John Prine, Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie. I can't wait to dive into Weathervanes this week.

One of my favorite music blogs/websites, Saving Country Music, has a nice review up on the Weathervanes album.

Saving Country Music Weathervanes Review

I recently watched Running With Our Eyes Closed, the documentary on Isbell and Amanda Shires. That led me to a deep dive into his music. So many songs that hit you in the tender spots. Incredible song writer and artist.

56 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I recently watched Running With Our Eyes Closed, the documentary on Isbell and Amanda Shires. That led me to a deep dive into his music. So many songs that hit you in the tender spots. Incredible song writer and artist.

The first time I listened to his album Southeastern I got emotional through most of the songs on it. I think specifically I got misty eyed during Cover Me Up, Elephant, and Traveling Alone. Jason really brings out all of your inner most feelings and emotions with his songwriting and pulls you in to being apart of the song itself. He makes listening to his music such an enjoyable experience.

If We Were Vampires is one of those for me. Especially after reaching that age and facing our version of "retirement" whatever that is.

"Maybe we'll get 40 years together. One of us will have to be alone"

edit..we're coming up on 43.

As my wife remarked recently, "I think we've become that cute old couple some people talk about" 

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 1

Under The Radar this weekend for the 4th of July will have the All American Road Trip.   We'll go in alphabetical order this year starting with an artist from Alabama and ending with one from Wisconsin  (nobody from Wyoming I wanted to play).  Since it's a two-hour shows, some states will have to be skipped (sorry Dakotas) 

Under The Radar Radio #23-27
July 2, 2023  7pm - 9pm

The Alphabetical All-American Road Trip

Flag%20Guitar%20Cropped.jpg

AL - Waxahatchee - Lips and Limbs (Birmingham)
AK - Portugal, The Man - Grim Generation (Wasilla)
AZ - Joy Oladokun - Taking Things For Granted (Casa Grande)
CA -  X - 4th Of July (Los Angeles)
CO - Kiltro - All The Time In The World (Denver)
CT - MGMT - One Thing Left To Try (Middleton)

DE - Stephen Marley - Old Soul  (Wilmington)
GA - R.E.M. - Cuyahoga (Athens)
ID - Built To Spill - In Your Mind (Boise)
IL - Material Issue - Valerie Loves Me (Chicago)
KS - Get Up Kids - Home On The Range (Olathe)
LA - Lucinda Williams - Let's Get The Band Back Together (Lake Charles)

MD - Wye Oak - Fortune (Baltimore)
MA - Juliana Hatfield - Don't Bring Me Down (Boston)
MI - Joe Hertler & The Rainbow Seekers - *How Many Licks.....(Lansing)
MN - Prince - Anotherloverholenyohead  (purified in the waters of Lake Minnetonka)
MT - Alaska Reid - Back To This  (Park County)

NE - 311 - I'll Be Here Awhile  (Omaha)
NV - Jenny Lewis - Joy'all (Las Vegas)
NJ - Smithereens - Only A Memory (Carteret)
NC - Ben Folds - Moments (feat Tall Heights)  (Greensboro)
NY - The Lemon Twigs - What You Were Doing  (Hicksville)
OH - The Breeders - Go Man Go (Dayton)

PA - Ween - Even If You Don't (New Hope)
RI - Deer Tick - Forgivin Ties (Providence)
TN - Bully - Ms. America (Nashville)
TX - Wild Child - Dear John (Austin)
WA - Fleet Foxes - Mykonos (Seattle)
WI - Garbage - Drive You Home (Madison)

*How Many Licks To The Center Of The Universe is the full title

image.jpeg.87254a1c56307217c82e95c804be0460.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Time moves slow when you're seventeen and then it picks up steam at twenty-one. Pretty soon you'll remember when you could remember when you loved someone." - Jason Isbell, Streetlights

What lyrics. This guys songwriting never, ever ceases to amaze me and bring out all the feelings.

Tony Bennett, may he find peace. I came to appreciate his music later in life. He was always there but he represented my parents music.

Then I became my parents, and somewhere along the way the music of the 90s and later just didn't appeal to me in general. I still listened and enjoyed a bit but kept returning to the "old guys". I think it was when he started releasing his "duets" album that it struck me...this guy is really good and I started to do do a deeper dive. Really some good classic stuff.

One of my favorites with Bill Evans

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Tony Bennett, may he find peace. I came to appreciate his music later in life. He was always there but he represented my parents music.

Then I became my parents, and somewhere along the way the music of the 90s and later just didn't appeal to me in general. I still listened and enjoyed a bit but kept returning to the "old guys". I think it was when he started releasing his "duets" album that it struck me...this guy is really good and I started to do do a deeper dive. Really some good classic stuff.

One of my favorites with Bill Evans

I met him once. His handler told me to mention how much older he was than his wife because it was one of his favorite things to hear. In hindsight I think I was set up.

Still he was very kind and engaging.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

question for audiophiles:  Back in the day a highly anticipated trip to a record store would have me looking at the Japanese pressings of albums.  Were they actually superior in audio quality than regular vinyl? 

I don't remember Japanese pressings, but I was buying records mostly before your time, maybe they hadn't become current. Then it was DGG that used to be the gold standard for highest quality vinyl. Philips wasn't bad either IIRC. My recollection would be that US and Brit pop/rock labels were mostly just unpredictable. I don't know if somehow the artists could have a hand in enforcing quality on their stuff but LZep vinyls tended to be pretty good. But poor quality on a vinyl LP wasn't necessarily in the pressing, it could as easily be compromises made in the production and mastering such as compression range, play length etc.