What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

On 6/10/2023 at 8:10 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

This week's Under The Radar Radio will focus on the new album from Jenny Lewis "Joy'all"    We'll play 4 tracks from that album, along with new music from Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit,  Andy Frasco & The U.N.,  Son Volt, Geese (not Goose), Margaret Glaspy, and the new project from ex-Replacement Tommy Stinson.   Older faves from Jayhawks,  Plains, Kurt vile, Rhett Miller and the Lone Justice song that's been stuck in my head for 2 weeks.    Sunday - 7 on   annarbors107one.com and thisisqmusic.com

What Jason song are you playing? I LOVE that you're playing Isbell and Son Volt. Also, are you playing Loading Zones by Kurt Vile?

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What Jason song are you playing? I LOVE that you're playing Isbell and Son Volt. Also, are you playing Loading Zones by Kurt Vile?

Not loading zones.    A track from Jason's new album.    Also a new Son Volt song from their Doug Sahm tribute album.   Show's leaning a bit Americana this week.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You can find your answers at 7pm on www.annarbors107one.com  or thisisqmusic.com     If you're in Western Wayne/Southern Oakland or all of Washtenaw Counties it's 107.1.   If you're in West Michigan it's 94.5  (that station has a massive signal).    If you miss it this week you can catch the replay on 94.5 (thisisqmusic) next Saturday at 7pm or at andhow.fm in New Zealand (the run UTR a week later,  you'll have to go to the website to translate the time it airs here compared to New Zealand.  

On 6/9/2023 at 10:04 AM, romad1 said:

This album is an acquired taste.  Its not the bubblegummy hippity hop of their other stuff.  These guys were artists with a real vision. 

If I'm low or annoyed this is one of those anthemic pieces for my jangled GenX spirit. 

I love this album. Midlife Crisis, Easy, Land of Sunshine,  and Be Aggressive are great tracks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I love this album. Midlife Crisis, Easy, Land of Sunshine,  and Be Aggressive are great tracks.

The stuff they did as Mister Bungle is where this level of edginess gets to a much less accessible place.  I still liked Mr Bungle but man it was nothing like "Epic"

16 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The stuff they did as Mister Bungle is where this level of edginess gets to a much less accessible place.  I still liked Mr Bungle but man it was nothing like "Epic"

I decided to listen to it this morning. Forgot how great RV is. "I think it's time I had a talk with my kids. I'll just tell 'em what my daddy told me. You ain't never gonna amount to nothin'."

6 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I decided to listen to it this morning. Forgot how great RV is. "I think it's time I had a talk with my kids. I'll just tell 'em what my daddy told me. You ain't never gonna amount to nothin'."

That comes from a place of great pain, you can tell.

The character narrating that song belongs as one of the people interviewed by McConneghy and Harrelson in the first season of True Detective.  

The new Jason Isbell album Weathervanes has dropped. I haven't given it a full listen yet but am excited to do so very soon. As a huge fan of Jason's, I recognize that there will never be an album that compares to his 2012 album Southeastern. So I don't hold the expectation that he needs to record a Southeastern 2.0 type of album and don't expect this album to be that. His Southeastern album was deeply personal and was produced as he was coming out of a very dark time of his life. So I judge each album on its own merits and for their own artistic value and songwriting. And Isbell offers a lot of artistic value and always incredible song writing. I truly do believe he is the greatest songwriter of our times. The modern day John Prine, Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie. I can't wait to dive into Weathervanes this week.

One of my favorite music blogs/websites, Saving Country Music, has a nice review up on the Weathervanes album.

Saving Country Music Weathervanes Review

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The new Jason Isbell album Weathervanes has dropped. I haven't given it a full listen yet but am excited to do so very soon. As a huge fan of Jason's, I recognize that there will never be an album that compares to his 2012 album Southeastern. So I don't hold the expectation that he needs to record a Southeastern 2.0 type of album and don't expect this album to be that. His Southeastern album was deeply personal and was produced as he was coming out of a very dark time of his life. So I judge each album on its own merits and for their own artistic value and songwriting. And Isbell offers a lot of artistic value and always incredible song writing. I truly do believe he is the greatest songwriter of our times. The modern day John Prine, Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie. I can't wait to dive into Weathervanes this week.

One of my favorite music blogs/websites, Saving Country Music, has a nice review up on the Weathervanes album.

Saving Country Music Weathervanes Review

Hell, yeah. I've been listening on loop. There are a lot of great songwriters out there, but none are better than Isbell.

BTW, Loving the new Jenny Lewis as well.

Edited by antrat

I had to sit in a waiting room with a Top 40 station playing. 

What the hell happened to melody?      So many monotone repetitive and annoying songs.  So many rap songs or obviously pitch-corrected singers.    There really is no talent out there, is there?     Sorry, Hip Hop was cool when it was new, but it sucks, it's awful now.       

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What the hell happened to melody?      So many monotone repetitive and annoying songs.  So many rap songs or obviously pitch-corrected singers.    There really is no talent out there, is there?     Sorry, Hip Hop was cool when it was new, but it sucks, it's awful now.       

tiktok?  

Rick Beato did an interview with a music critic who touched on this.  It was a great chat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My local gunshop (since closed due to insurance issues...they refused to lock up their guns at night and they had several break-ins)...had the worst noise speed thrash death metal playing all the time.   Whatever the blues inspired heavy metal that begat the classical music inspired british metal that begat the protest song inspired grunge, that begat the hip hop inspired thrash metal has begat something nearly unlistenable.  

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My local gunshop (since closed due to insurance issues...they refused to lock up their guns at night and they had several break-ins)...had the worst noise speed thrash death metal playing all the time.   Whatever the blues inspired heavy metal that begat the classical music inspired british metal that begat the protest song inspired grunge, that begat the hip hop inspired thrash metal has begat something nearly unlistenable.  

This back of the envelope run down on the history of metal is better than anything I've found online.   I did leave off glam metal of the Poison and Motley Crue variety.  That was LA's contribution to the genre. 

5 hours ago, antrat said:

I saw that. Rick has a great channel.

To quote Ben Folds  "Some producer with computer mixes all my sh*tty tracks"

You don't even really need to play a musical instrument to make a record anymore.   And it's obvious.   Tonight in Ann Arbor I introduced a young lady named Madison McFerrin onto the stage.    She's a REAL talent.  Beautiful voice, melodic songs.   Radio probably won't play it unless she has a guest rap artist on it.   Reminds me a little of Corinne Bailey Rae, who is outstanding (never got much radio play),  but Madison has some Brazilian flourishes in her sound (at least she does live).  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

To quote Ben Folds  "Some producer with computer mixes all my sh*tty tracks"

You don't even really need to play a musical instrument to make a record anymore.   And it's obvious.   Tonight in Ann Arbor I introduced a young lady named Madison McFerrin onto the stage.    She's a REAL talent.  Beautiful voice, melodic songs.   Radio probably won't play it unless she has a guest rap artist on it.   Reminds me a little of Corinne Bailey Rae, who is outstanding (never got much radio play),  but Madison has some Brazilian flourishes in her sound (at least she does live).  

Bobby's daughter, right? Have heard her name but not yet her music. Will listen later.

2 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Not to venture off topic, but this seems like good news.

They always overcharged for ammo.  Pro: they fixed anything newish I brought them but Con: the millennial gunsmith was flummoxed by the 1944 Enfield No4 Mk1 I brought in.   I was always amazed at the amount of people just wandering around the store wanting to make it a barber shop experience.  If they couldn't sustain business because of insurance they really shouldn't have been in the business. 

On 6/14/2023 at 8:41 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm pretty into hip hop both past and present...... but I hear yah with the singers/mc's.  I think what's happening right now is that the producers are absolutely killing it - some rap albums sound so freaking awesome.   The production value is super high for the beats and music.... but the mc's for the most part are pretty not good.   Mumble rap is the trend right now and I'm definitely not on board, it's like the trend is to be bad on purpose.   Which wouldn't be new phenomenon in "rock" music.   OTOH you have someone like JID who's like one of the best MCs I've ever heard.   

So in summary I'm saying props to the producers, they're doing so freaking awesome, boolah boolah to the mcs yall suck  

I have a friend with a 19 year old son who does beats.  He's had a few get picked up and he formed his own publishing company and brings in decent money now, especially for his age. Enough to get an attorney who focuses on going after people who steal it.

I noticed something with the British rock group Wolf Alice.  Lead singer is a very attractive female and she's quite good at the singing but the production of the tracks is such that you can barely understand the lyrics due to them having too much other stuff layered on top.   They have some live stuff on youtube in which her vocals are much more front and center and its better than the album tracks.