What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

You're missing: The Throwing Muses, The Breeders, Cat Power, Garbage, The Sundays, The Sugarcubes, Sinead, Bjork, ... Damn, there's 100's to choose from.

I only have two hours to work with and there is a new song/old song ratio of 66%/33%,  I play all of these groups on the show during regular shows. 

9 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

That consultant was still in 60s and 70s mode. My overall favorite F the experts story is how Black Water came to be a hit. The record company was pushing Another Park, Another Sunday. A jock (and MD) in Roanoke, Va started blaming the flip side and it took off.

Unfortunately there are no longer any "Power House" smaller market stations anymore or MD's and PD's who program by their gut.

They can't, the decisions for the whole country are made only by a few people and it sucks.     I get to make my own decisions on Under The Radar and the chillout show Sonic Bliss, but I don't decide what goes into regular rotation.  If I did, there would be a lot less Lumineers and Jack Johnson.   Talk about boring.  

8 hours ago, oblong said:

I’m finding myself being drawn to more female vocalists than before.  One of them coined it “chick fronted dad rock”. 

they just sound better to me. 

They have more to say.  They've been silenced for years and forced to be what some record company asshole thought was sexy.   It's all pouring out now and it's interesting.   Women were treated horribly (and to a degree many still are) in the business for years,  really talented women who didn't need that sexism.   Smart is sexy.  There's a million Barbie doll singers out there and none of them have anything interesting to say.   

Guy rock?   Yeah, out of ideas.    I don't even know what rock music is anymore.........it's so hyper aggressive and there's no melody anymore.  How many straight-forward rock bands are there.  I'll count the Foo Fighters, but how many others?   And pop music.   Songs that have about 3 notes rule the Top 40 airwaves, it's hour after hour of the same freaking song, like an audio migraine.   There is no music theory at play anymore.  Go watch videos about how songs used to be made and all the oddities in the great songs we knew, there is really no innovation anymore, digital has killed creativity  Everything is too easy now and few try anything new. 

Watch this video of how they made "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc.........even if you hate the song.  The process was insane and you'll never hear the song the same way again.   Nobody does this creative stuff now because digital does it for them so they are not challenging.    It's like if you don't challenge your brain enough, you get stupid and then you can't anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

But it's so damn catchy!

Oh, no doubt, but the "slap her down" part goes over everyone's head..........in 2023?       We got scorched for playing a Tori Amos song with the lyric "I am a M.I.L.F. Don't you forget".  We had to edit that part out to play the rest of that song.    And that was HER singing it.  

We can't play Arcade Fire or Ryan Adams anymore because of their issues with young women (I agree on Ryan, not so much on Winn Butler - yet).    If we start doing that for every artist who acted like a creep, we'd end up being a talk station. 

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This was the playlist from Sunday's show.    It will air again Saturday from 7pm - 9pm on Saturday March 11th on thisisqmusic.com or 94.5 FM in Grand Rapids.    I don't think I spelled anything wrong.

UTR 23-10 (U.S. Girls).jpg

About 25% of those I've been listening to since at least 1985 (whenever each came out...)

But the rest I'll have to check out!!!

• 4 weeks later...