What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

I created an Alternative and Indie Country Music starter kit playlist on Spotify that I thought I'd share. Something to give friends, family, and those I interact with on the internet a good starting point for indie country and americana artists. What you won't find in this playlist are very many major record label artists, nor any modern bro or pop country crap. Little if any songs about tailgates, tan lines, and whatever crap they are signing about in modern "country" these days.

What you will find is a collection of real country, americana, and folk music. You will find great song writing and incredible storytelling from true artists interested in making real music. Artists who aren't signed to major record labels, being told what to sing and write about. Enjoy as you wish. The embedded playlist below only displays 100 songs, but I have more than that in there if you click on it.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Thanks 1

I have been a fan of two British bands for more than 30 years and I haven't seen either of them and they are coming to Detroit tomorrow.  I can't wait, this should be a great show.   (and I want a poster of that graphic below)   --  And I refuse to look at setlist because I don't want to know what they are going to play

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have been a fan of two British bands for more than 30 years and I haven't seen either of them and they are coming to Detroit tomorrow.  I can't wait, this should be a great show.   (and I want a poster of that graphic below)   --  And I refuse to look at setlist because I don't want to know what they are going to play

Nice.  Have fun shoegazing.  

On the topic of setlists.  Bruce Springsteen is back on tour with E Street for the first time in 6 years.   They have been making music and playing live  for 50 years.   They have as deep a catalog of music including live covers as anybody out there.   They are also widely regarded as a tremendous live touring band.   Yet, they have played the exact set back to back nights to start the tour.  This is shameful and seems like a money grab.  They have no excuse for not creating a unique experience for their fans every night.  Even RHCP is mixing their set up from night to night.      

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Nice.  Have fun shoegazing.  

On the topic of setlists.  Bruce Springsteen is back on tour with E Street for the first time in 6 years.   They have been making music and playing live  for 50 years.   They have as deep a catalog of music including live covers as anybody out there.   They are also widely regarded as a tremendous live touring band.   Yet, they have played the exact set back to back nights to start the tour.  This is shameful and seems like a money grab.  They have no excuse for not creating a unique experience for their fans every night.  Even RHCP is mixing their set up from night to night.      

Wow, that is VERY surprising for the E-Street Band.         WAIT.........YOU WERE WRONG.   THE FIRST SONG OF THE ENCORES WAS DIFFERENT !      Wow 27 out of 28 songs in the same order except for that.    Quite odd.   

The Grammys celebrating 50 years of hip hop?  The first 10 years of it were the only 10 years worth celebrating.  The vast majority of it now is hot garbage.  You know, like rock kind of was in the late 70s and most of the 80s.  Most of it is as out of ideas as the Hollywood movie machine.  Lets keep rebooting every super hero franchise.   Weeeeee! 

The Grammys are a joke anyway.   First time it was obvious was when they introduced a Hard Rock/Metal category and gave the first away to Jethro Tull.     The second, for me, was Fountains Of Wayne being nominated for Best New Artist for their 3rd album,  8 years after their first came out.   Stacey's Mom was the worst song they ever did anyway.  It was only written for the easy buck.  I don't blame them for that, but still, it was their 3rd album.  Haven't watched the Grammys since and the coverage it gets on music sites that I actually respect is draining.   It's all a major label circle jerk anyway. 

Signed,  Grumpy Old Man

It's like Sick Boy's unifying theory of life.   You have it, you lose it and you never get it back again.  Happens to everyone.

Edited by Motor City Sonics

They give away all the good awards before the show airs.

The Grammys are like the super bowl halftime shows.  It's not for music fans.  It's for mass audiences.  You know better than anybody about the commercial side of music and what the real goal is.

My wife was watching and she couldn't understand when I told her that the audience shots are scripted.  They tell JLo, "Ok, we're going to show you in 4 seconds, do something" so then she'll do a "Whoop" or something.  It started because I was criticizing it and she said "Look, they are getting into it".  I said that's fake.  Like Wrestling.  Nobody in that setting is on camera unless they get approval.  The superstars are the bosses and they can't make the bosses look bad.

That said.... glad to see Brandi Carlyle win and perform and God bless Bonnie Raitt.

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

That said.... glad to see Brandi Carlyle win and perform and God bless Bonnie Raitt.

I've been a big fan of Raitt since way back to the Streetlights LP...Just starting to follow Ms Carlyle. It may have been the Highwy Women stuff that caught my attention.

41 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I've been a big fan of Raitt since way back to the Streetlights LP...Just starting to follow Ms Carlyle. It may have been the Highwy Women stuff that caught my attention.

I agreed to go see Pink this summer with my wife because Brandi is opening for her.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If you were waiting for a Pink Floyd reunion, well you’ll have to wait a bit more. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pink-floyd-david-gilmour-polly-samson-roger-waters-feud-1234675161/

Old people can certainly get prickly, but I wonder sometimes if these feuds between old guys become almost a subconscious defense mechanism that gets them out from under the pressure of doing something they probably just don't really want to do anymore (i.e. pretend they are 20), but aren't 'allowed' step away from by fans/society....

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Old people can certainly get prickly, but I wonder sometimes if these feuds between old guys become almost a subconscious defense mechanism that gets them out from under the pressure of doing something they probably just don't really want to do anymore (i.e. pretend they are 20), but aren't 'allowed' step away from by fans/society....

No, I don't think that's it.

I think it's the other old people issue (and I'm getting really close to that I think...):

Likes, dislikes, hatreds and animosities ossify.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Speaking of, I would not be at all surprised if it were later revealed that Neil Peart faked his own death so he could retire in peace and not subject Geddy and Alex to fan pressure for another tour/album.