What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I didn’t realize that Jeff Beck played on the song Hang on Sloopy.

Also that Stevie Wonder wrote the song “Superstition” for Jeff Beck.

Wow. 

"for" as in for Beck to record, or "about" as in Stevie was amused that Beck was superstitious himself?

Edited by gehringer_2

Don't know if this is a paywall article:

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2023/01/13/stevie-wonder-reflects-on-the-late-jeff-beck-a-great-soul/69802076007/

They say that Wonder already had the song but encouraged Beck to record it too.  Quoted piece below.  They later talk about how Motown insisted on releasing Stevie's version first rather than a B Side, which Stevie didn't prefer.  He had it for Jeff to do.  Some say it caused a riff between Wonder and Beck but Stevie downplays it.

In New York in ’72, Wonder was thrilled with Beck's work on "Pure Love." He and Cecil encouraged the guitarist to record a version of a new, unreleased song Wonder had recently written and tracked: "Superstition."

Beck saw it as a gift from Wonder.

When it comes to origin stories of songs from that era, details can be cloudy or lost to time. It has often been reported that "Superstition" emerged from an impromptu jam by the two artists, with Beck at a drum kit and Wonder at a clavinet keyboard. But Wonder clarified Wednesday that a rough track of the song was already complete when he first played it for Beck at the studio.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

It was sometime in the late 80’s and this song was the first time my teenage self had ever heard of Jeff Beck.    Blown away then and still blown away now.   RIP Legend

Going Down is definitely one of my top 50 songs of all time.

Edited by chasfh
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:22 AM, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

I thought of this song the other day for no reason after not having listened to it in 10-15 years (and, really, having all but forgotten that the band existed). so I played it once, and now I can't get the guitar part out of my head.

King Missile.   We played that song Detachable Penis on 92.1 The Edge in Lansing at night.  It got our station banned from the Taco Bell on Grand River. 

32 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Later Crosby, with Snarky Puppy, one of my favorite albums

The Man had a lot of demons, but he turned it into a lot of music that spoke to a time and place as well as any ever did.

His personnel hex on me is that to this day I cannot even look at a pair of barber scissors but "Almost Cut My Hair" starts ringin' in my head! :classic_laugh:

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He sure knew his music.

image.thumb.png.ea79bab610ec50c3ea84ba30c960f840.png

Have to admit I'm biased here as hearing the Doors is one sure way to get me to roll the dial on my radio. Morrison's voice had marvelous timbre, but that was just a genetic gift.

and the thought of Jim Morrison singing Guinnevere just made me laugh.....

Edited by gehringer_2

55 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I respect his opinion as an elite musician.

it really jumps out when you read his bio how active he was in the business - the number of different people he launched, encouraged, worked with, is huge. Of course part of that could be that for a number years he may have been in bad enough economic shape he'd take any kind of work that was offered....🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The Man had a lot of demons, but he turned it into a lot of music that spoke to a time and place as well as any ever did.

His personnel hex on me is that to this day I cannot even look at a pair of barber scissors but "Almost Cut My Hair" starts ringin' in my head! :classic_laugh:

😂. OMG. Me, too….. every time I pick up my hair cutting scissors to “just straighten that edge on the left”… which then morphs into a 1/2 hr of “fixing”….until I start singing that song out loud, put Down the scissors, and pick up the phone and try to get a salon appointment to fix the mess I made. (this is the point where having so curly hair saves you, or at least saves a lot of very obvious mistakes.)

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It is definitely, as the kids in marketing used to say, their USP.

Having said that, Crosby possessed an amazing talent and was probably right about Manzarek from a musician's standpoint, but what matters to me is what my ears enjoy.

My ears would be lacking for nothing if I never heard the Doors again but I think Riders on the Storm is an absolute masterpiece and the rain in the background is what makes it so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

it really jumps out when you read his bio how active he was in the business - the number of different people he launched, encouraged, worked with, is huge. Of course part of that could be that for a number years he may have been in bad enough economic shape he'd take any kind of work that was offered....🤷‍♂️

What leaps out at me reading Crosby’s tweet again is how he talks about Manzarek’s bass. Sure, Crosby trashed it, and that’s entertaining, but beyond that, as a layman who’s autodidacted a bit of music, I’m not sure I have ever heard any keyboardist’s “left-handed bass work” discussed in quite those terms. I assume it’s quite common in musical circles, though.

Edited by chasfh

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What leaps out at me reading Crosby’s tweet again is how he talks about Manzarek’s bass. Sure, Crosby trashed it, and that’s entertaining, but beyond that, as a layman who’s autodidacted a bit of music, I’m not sure I have ever heard any keyboardist’s “left-handed bass work” discussed in quite those terms. I assume it’s quite common in musical circles, though.

More likely Manzarek had biblical knowledge of a woman that rejected Crosby and he has a room full of axes to grind. YMMV.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

...  They didn't play that on WRIF or WLLZ back in the day

I remember hearing a lot of CSN and CSN&Y on WRIF and WLLZ, back in the day... but not Crosby standalones that I can remember. A huge amount of Neil Young solo but he was a supreme solo artist in my book. Not quite so much the others. Did they play a bit of Stephen Stills...? I don't remember.

So I concur.

Edited by 1984Echoes