What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What the Beatles were by far the best at was writing a huge volume of songs reflecting elite musicality with irresistible hooks....

I don't know if we give them enough credit for how well they sang - I ceertainly never really thought much about it at the time, but but listening with a better ear today, I think John especially had this ability to sound like he wasn't doing much while actually nailing some pretty difficult tricks. And the three part harmonies on the early stuff was as good as anyone ever. 

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if we give them enough credit for how well they sang - I ceertainly never really thought much about it at the time, but but listening with a better ear today, I think John especially had this ability to sound like he wasn't doing much while actually nailing some pretty difficult tricks. And the three part harmonies on the early stuff was as good as anyone ever. 

The later stuff, too ...

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

What the Beatles were by far the best at was writing a huge volume of songs reflecting elite musicality with irresistible hooks. Regardless of which era you point to, they knew the exact zeitgeist to tap into with the songs they were creating. Especially Lennon and McCartney, who were great from practically day one. They were so good that a motivated George Harrison, who was at best a meh songwriter in 1964, elevated himself to become their equal by 1969 specifically because he spent those five years learning at their feet. They have several dozen songs that even 50+ years later hold up as among the greatest pop songs in history, and I’m not even including their solo work, of which there are perhaps a couple dozen more you could add to their group canon. No other individual or act comes close.

As long as someone looks at each of their songs as "Pop", I think they are understood properly. Trying to diminish their work by saying that it is weak or that there is more impressive bands in "blues" or "psychedelia" or any other defined genre misses the point.

Agree 100% on the elite musicality and irresistible hooks... And...

No other individual or act comes close.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Tom petty - wildflowers

I believe I brought this up on the old site but in the peak of the pandemic I decided to listen to albums rather than curated playlists and this was one of my first ones. I forgot so much of those songs.  I don’t know if I was prompted to do that from discussions here or I did if on my own. 

11 hours ago, oblong said:

I believe I brought this up on the old site but in the peak of the pandemic I decided to listen to albums rather than curated playlists and this was one of my first ones. I forgot so much of those songs.  I don’t know if I was prompted to do that from discussions here or I did if on my own. 

Idk why but the whole record slipped my memory.   Full Moon Fever and Great Wide Open are unforgettable but idk why I forgot this one because you're right, it's spectacular.   You Don't Know How It Feels is such a great tune.

I'm definitely going through a Petty appreciation phase right now.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s a Mort Crim thing.

Have you spent time with De Stijl or White Blood Cells yet?

I started at the beginning, listening to each a couple of time at least, and am up to Get Behind Me Satan, but I have that on hold while I obsess over Elephant.