What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

RIP to Loretta Lynn. As a big fan of real, traditional country, I am sadden to hear of her passing. She was truly a revolutionary force for woman in music, country genre or otherwise. At a time when women were not allowed to speak out and push the envelope in music and entertainment, she did. Loretta wrote and sung songs that pushed the boundaries of music and what women were allowed to sing about. From Coal Miner's Daughter to Rated X to The Pill to You Ain't Woman Enough to Take My Man.

• Thanks 1

Some singers and songwriters have IT. A certain feature or thing about them that you just listen to them once and they pull you right in and keep you hooked. Tyler Childers has IT as far as not only country music singers go, but truly iconic American songwriters. I listen to a lot of great country/Americana/folk singer-songwriter folks from EmmyLou Harris, Rodney Crowell, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Zach Bryan, Margo Price, etc. While I wouldn't put Tyler of Jason or EmmyLou, I'd vault him up pretty darn high on the list.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dwight is as legit as they come.  Given what Country music came to be after the 1990's I think some of the truer country, like what Tater often shares, can now be grouped into the americana/singer/songwriter genre.  if you recall the Ken Burns Country Music doc there was a struggle in the 60's and early 70's on how you separate the Dylans/Kristoffersons/Cashes of the world.  Kind of just came down to geography.  But I think these folks today are bringing it back full circle.

16 hours ago, oblong said:

Dwight is as legit as they come.  Given what Country music came to be after the 1990's I think some of the truer country, like what Tater often shares, can now be grouped into the americana/singer/songwriter genre.  if you recall the Ken Burns Country Music doc there was a struggle in the 60's and early 70's on how you separate the Dylans/Kristoffersons/Cashes of the world.  Kind of just came down to geography.  But I think these folks today are bringing it back full circle.

My issue is usually the twang. I don't know how to describe it but a lot of it just sounds fake. I can't even put my finger on it but some twang doesn't bother me but there is so much out there that raises the hair on my neck. Dwight seems to have a bit of blues mixed in with the stuff I heard and that appeals to me.