What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

We tailgated under an ez-up and dealt with the rain.   The silver lining was the temperature dropped from 92 to 72 in about 20 minutes.  No sweltering heat at the show which is a great thing when you are packed in the pit with a bunch of wooks.    

The only small negative was they didn’t have the new crazy lighting rig that moves and rotates.  The light show last night was great but it’s gets way better when they have the full rig.   Not sure if that was a Pine Knob stage issue or logistics from playing last night in Cleveland.   

52417E86-0490-495C-99E4-25FFB166A2FD.jpeg

• Like 1

I never knew this existed. Charles Mingus wrote this incredible piece of music in 1959 as a tribute to sax player Lester Young who had passed away a short time before. Shortly before Mingus died of ALS in 1979 he asked Joni Mitchell to put lyrics to his composition. They never had a chance to perform it together. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Britney Spears.  When I worked in Top 40 she was about 15 years old and let's just say not taking pictures that a minor should be taking, all with dear old Dad's blessing.    I do root for her to make a bunch of money so her Dad can't steal it from her and if she gets stupid and blows it all, it's her money to do that with.     The amount of Auto Tune on this I don't think is a stylistic choice here, it's just too overbearing.     My guess is Elton felt bad for her and wanted her to make a lot of money, but come on Elton, why would you do this to one of your masterpieces?     This is just truly awful (and I am sure it will be a hit because Top 40 is absolute garbage)

Welp, most radio stations that played Arcade Fire are no longer playing Arcade Fire after accusations against Winn Butler.   

I have mixed feelings on this.   If we start dropping every artist that had bad behavior toward women, there probably wouldn't be very much  left to play.   

We all knew Ryan Adams was a prick, but had no idea how bad he really was.   Seems the same here.  A lot of people knew he was maybe not the greatest guy, and well, there are hints and allegations of just how bad he was.   

I'm surprised no one has talked about this.  I'm trying to get through the full concert, i'm about 2 hours in and it's been fantastic.  This, rightfully so, won the twitterverse related to this show.  I don't think Grohl lied when he said he's never seen anyone hit the drums as hard as this kid.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I'm surprised no one has talked about this.  I'm trying to get through the full concert, i'm about 2 hours in and it's been fantastic.  This, rightfully so, won the twitterverse related to this show.  I don't think Grohl lied when he said he's never seen anyone hit the drums as hard as this kid.  

That was great. interesting praise from Grohl since I think he is the hardest hitting drummer I've ever seen/heard.

I had that show on all day Saturday.  My wife was out of town.  It was great.  The next one is later this month and I've already planned a vacation day around it.

When they played that I got serous Prince at the 2005 R&R HOF vibes.  I knew it was something special.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I had that show on all day Saturday.  My wife was out of town.  It was great.  The next one is later this month and I've already planned a vacation day around it.

When they played that I got serous Prince at the 2005 R&R HOF vibes.  I knew it was something special.

Right at the end they have an angle on Shane with a blurred Pat Smear in the background and he's got the biggest smile in the world.

On 9/7/2022 at 12:04 AM, ewsieg said:

Mess up his hair up a little more and he could pass for Michael Shrieve at Woodstock.

9 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

I discovered this wonderful song just the other day.

original Copland really isn't my thing, but this is a fantastic version of it.

I have a buddy who is a huge 70's prog fan and I had made a remark to him about me not liking ELP because it sounded like circus music. 30 years later he still brings that up.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I have a buddy who is a huge 70's prog fan and I had made a remark to him about me not liking ELP because it sounded like circus music. 30 years later he still brings that up.

Haha, well, you're not totally wrong. I don't know that I care for most of their stuff for reasons along those lines. And I love synths.