What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Whoever this Main Squeeze dude is, he killed it signing Have a Cigar by Floyd.

Added a little funk and a stylized vocal....very well done.

ETA: I like how the guitarist didn't try to imitate Gilmore. He just went for it in his own style and played with a lot of emotion and grit.

I've noticed that with Pink Floyd songs I appreciate them more when they are covered by someone else.  I think I've heard their work too much on the radio for as long as I can remember.  Maybe it's their style too.

Perfect example is Van Morrison and Comfortably Numb.

21 minutes ago, oblong said:

I've noticed that with Pink Floyd songs I appreciate them more when they are covered by someone else.  I think I've heard their work too much on the radio for as long as I can remember.  Maybe it's their style too.

Perfect example is Van Morrison and Comfortably Numb.

I feel the same way about Bob Dylan. Absolutely a great writer but I cannot tolerate his vocals. Love his songs by other people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, antrat said:

I feel the same way about Bob Dylan. Absolutely a great writer but I cannot tolerate his vocals. Love his songs by other people.

Tangled Up in Blue

Lay Lady Lay

Like a Rolling Stone

Rainy Day Women.

That is the exhaustive list of Bob Dylan songs, performed by Bob Dylan, that I can tolerate.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:13 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Tangled Up in Blue

Lay Lady Lay

Like a Rolling Stone

Rainy Day Women.

That is the exhaustive list of Bob Dylan songs, performed by Bob Dylan, that I can tolerate.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:53 AM, antrat said:

There is a perfect solution for the many the appreciate the mastery of Dylan’s songwriting and composition but can’t get over the vocal. 

Grateful Dead

There are at least 30 Dylan covers that became a regular part of the live setlist for either GD or Jerry Band.   

Jerry and Bob’s voices work so well with these songs like Tangled Up in Blue, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Queen Jane Approximately, Memphis Blues Again, and It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There is a perfect solution for the many the appreciate the mastery of Dylan’s songwriting and composition but can’t get over the vocal. 

Grateful Dead

But then people would have to listen to the Grateful Dead!

What does a deadhead say when he runs out of pot? "Man, this music sucks!". 🙂

I kid, I like more Dead stuff than I care to list but I have to be in the mood (and no that does not involve mind-altering substances).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 10:13 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Tangled Up in Blue

Lay Lady Lay

Like a Rolling Stone

Rainy Day Women.

Not Maggie’s Farm? That’s a big favorite of mine. I think his voice is a perfect match for the style.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I'm kind of sad b/c Billy is going to keep moving up and I'm afraid the intimacy will be gone.  Very happy for him obviously.  I saw him at The Strand in Pontiac around Christmas probably 6 years ago?  Just a few hundred people.  

That’s definitely happening.  

Billy is a super talented songwriter, singer, and guitar player.  He’s a true triple threat.  

IMO, Bluegrass/Jamgrass is like Jazz.  I like and appreciate it but can only handle it for so long before I get bored.  Selfishly, I’d love to see what he can come up with having an electric guitar in his hands and playing more rock with little hints of bluegrass.  I bet it would be amazing.   

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I'm kind of sad b/c Billy is going to keep moving up and I'm afraid the intimacy will be gone.  Very happy for him obviously.  I saw him at The Strand in Pontiac around Christmas probably 6 years ago?  Just a few hundred people.  

Billy Strings is the shit! He did his jam Dust in the Baggie just sitting on a couch with a cellphone recording and still blew me away!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

That’s definitely happening.  

Billy is a super talented songwriter, singer, and guitar player.  He’s a true triple threat.  

IMO, Bluegrass/Jamgrass is like Jazz.  I like and appreciate it but can only handle it for so long before I get bored.  Selfishly, I’d love to see what he can come up with having an electric guitar in his hands and playing more rock with little hints of bluegrass.  I bet it would be amazing.   

I'm the same way but that's when the substances help.  It's like meditation for me.  I'll think about stuff.  I have left a few shows early because... I'm old and can't stay up too late. The phish concert this summer was really hard.... driving home from Livonia at 1:30.... hadnt done that in a long time.   Billy makes it fun with his theatrics.

Was hoping Greensky or Railroad Earth or Stringdusters would swing by here during the holiday period but unless I missed something.... that scene seems to be dry in these parts.  Will probably hit up Umphrey's in January because TTB moved their Chicago residency to late March/early Apr this year so no conflict.  Got tickets for that but may sell them if we don't feel like going to Chicago.  We liked it in January despite the weather because it broke up the post holiday doldrums.