What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

4 hours ago, oblong said:

have no idea if this is an accurate figure but I read that she's kept all of her songwriting and publishing rights and is making $1M a week now.

Is that $1M = $1,000?

or

$1M = $1 Million per week? That seems very, very far fetched. Is it only her music, or has she written 1,000's of songs for other artists...? I love her music... but how the heck is she making $1 (million) per week?

https://qz.com/2182571/how-much-is-kate-bush-making-from-running-up-that-hill/

Luminate’s Jonas estimates that Bush has made $2.3 million in streaming royalties between May 27, when the fourth season of Stranger Things debuted, and June 23. According to estimates, Bush made $1 million just from streaming between June 16 and 23.

Unlike many artists, Kate Bush owns the entire recording copyright to the original recordings of her music. She owns these masters through an independent record label of her own called Noble & Brite. Only the distribution for “Running Up That Hill” is done by a third party, Warner Music Group, leading the website Music Business Worldwide to estimate she’s bringing in more than 80% of her music revenues and calling her the “world’s biggest independent artist right now.”

Bush will also make money on physical and digital sales of her music. And because she’s the only songwriter listed on the single, she’ll receive all of the radio airplay revenue, too—plus whatever money Netflix paid her for song rights in Stranger Things.

That's not every single week in perpetuity and historically.

That's just for the short time period right after her music popped up on Stranger Things. That I can get.

It was thinking that "right now" meant "infinity" so... I need to reign in my impulsive thinking here...!!!

23 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That's not every single week in perpetuity and historically.

That's just for the short time period right after her music popped up on Stranger Things. That I can get.

It was thinking that "right now" meant "infinity" so... I need to reign in my impulsive thinking here...!!!

I meant "right now" to mean in this general timeframe of when it the show came out.  Not all time.

although owning the rights to a top song can set you up for life as if you won the lottery.  I remember being shocked once when I saw a house that Barbara Mandrell owned.  If you owned your songs and got good radio airplay in the 60s-80s you were set.  Bob Seger said not giving himself a credit on Old Time Rock and Roll, which was a throw away song on the album it was released on cost him probably $20M.  He didn't even use the Silver Bullet Band on it.  USed the guys at Muscle Shoals.   He did change the song somewhat but didn't think it was a big deal because the song wasn't important.  It was filler.  Then Risky Business.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think Bob Seger is going to be OK.

former co worker of mine has a connection to him.  She got invited to his wedding anniversary party.  Based on her description of his house... he's doing very ok.

The finances of music interests me.  Like how do they track all of it?  I know Henley is super stingy.  Rick Beato always talks about "blockers" on his music videos even though all he's doing is commenting.  There's a clip from Letterman on YouTube where he wanted to play an Eagles song but his producer was fighting him over the cost.  You could see some panic

I listened to a pod a few years ago and they mentioned the struggles getting clearance for some rap songs for movies because of sampling.  Every single owner has to sign off and in some cases they'd sample some 70's funk band with 13 guys in it and you'd have to track down a sax player who's been out of the business.  It's why some TV shows have never made it to streaming.  THe movie Pump Up the Volume is now on HBO Max but for a long time it wasn't anywhere.  They didn't get clearance for the music.  

2 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Bob could have used that money to fix his teeth ages ago.

Yeah, I said it.

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/vNICNMF1b2__yXPFpBwcYQ--~B/aD0zNjAwO3c9MjQzNTtzbT0xO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/afp.com/Part-WAS-Was8872776-1-1-0.jpg

He's had them fixed.  The reason I say that is b/c at game 1 of the 2006 WS Bob did the anthem.  My friend says "Man, you could butter your toast with those choppers"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

former co worker of mine has a connection to him.  She got invited to his wedding anniversary party.  Based on her description of his house... he's doing very ok.

The finances of music interests me.  Like how do they track all of it?  I know Henley is super stingy.  Rick Beato always talks about "blockers" on his music videos even though all he's doing is commenting.  There's a clip from Letterman on YouTube where he wanted to play an Eagles song but his producer was fighting him over the cost.  You could see some panic

I listened to a pod a few years ago and they mentioned the struggles getting clearance for some rap songs for movies because of sampling.  Every single owner has to sign off and in some cases they'd sample some 70's funk band with 13 guys in it and you'd have to track down a sax player who's been out of the business.  It's why some TV shows have never made it to streaming.  THe movie Pump Up the Volume is now on HBO Max but for a long time it wasn't anywhere.  They didn't get clearance for the music.  

Related to this, I was very excited when NBC released practically all the SNLs from 45 seasons on their steaming app, and just as disappointed that practically none of them included the music performances, basically because of rights issues. 

Edited by chasfh

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

I remember several years ago the Tigers and their flagship radio station did a promotion around Higgenson. They designated the left field bleachers as Higgy's Back Yard or something similar. 

If you remember the song Gettin Higgy With It...negotiations with Will Smith took quite a while before he gave them permission.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

He's had them fixed.  The reason I say that is b/c at game 1 of the 2006 WS Bob did the anthem.  My friend says "Man, you could butter your toast with those choppers"

I suspect Bob liked to drink coffee. Really liked to drink coffee. I did see that he has dentures or implants now. He could have gotten them years ago with those OTRnR royalties. 😉

Chevy probably paid him through the nose for the years of "Like A Rock" use.

Mellencamp got on him for "selling out".  Seger was on Later with Bob Costas and was asked about it... he said "they came to me and said they needed help and the auto industry for me is like farming is to John so he does Farm Aid and I let them use Like a Rock".  

Sure he got paid but he's also not wrong.  It's just a song.  It's not picasso.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:37 PM, oblong said:

So bummed they are here on Wednesday the same night as TTB. That’s going to eat into the ticket sales for sure.  

Dead & Co. absolutely killed it last night at Pine Knob.   Amazing show with a bunch of unreal jams.   John Mayer has found his niche blending his style into the old Jerry parts of the band.     Tough choices for sure as I’m sure Derek and Susan did the same downtown.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Dead & Co. absolutely killed it last night at Pine Knob.   Amazing show with a bunch of unreal jams.   John Mayer has found his niche blending his style into the old Jerry parts of the band.     Tough choices for sure as I’m sure Derek and Susan did the same downtown.  

The show was really great.  They just released some new material and the studio versions are great but on the mellower side and i was worried how that would translate live.  They nailed it.  I don't recall being that excited about hearing new music at a show.  It takes me a bit to get acclimated.  The new songs plus a couple of covers like Keep on Growing, and the staples like Midnight in Harlem.  Great mix to stay fresh.  Never the same show twice.  That's how it should be.   I saw the original setlist after the show and was glad they changed the encore to Space Captain.

Afterwards we walked by the lot where the buses and trailers were.  We stood around with a few others and Derek and Susan came over to chat and sign autograhs.  They were beyond cool.  I didn't get any autographs but talked to Susan about the Chicago shows and Derek about Bourbon.  They easily could have ignored us as the gates/fences were covered with a tarp but one area had a gap we could see through.   But they walked over.

I saw feedback online about the Pine Knob show and it sounds like it was awesome.  Bob Weir seemed excited about it.   I would have been there if not for this.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 1:06 PM, oblong said:

The show was really great.  They just released some new material and the studio versions are great but on the mellower side and i was worried how that would translate live.  They nailed it.  I don't recall being that excited about hearing new music at a show.  It takes me a bit to get acclimated.  The new songs plus a couple of covers like Keep on Growing, and the staples like Midnight in Harlem.  Great mix to stay fresh.  Never the same show twice.  That's how it should be.   I saw the original setlist after the show and was glad they changed the encore to Space Captain.

Afterwards we walked by the lot where the buses and trailers were.  We stood around with a few others and Derek and Susan came over to chat and sign autograhs.  They were beyond cool.  I didn't get any autographs but talked to Susan about the Chicago shows and Derek about Bourbon.  They easily could have ignored us as the gates/fences were covered with a tarp but one area had a gap we could see through.   But they walked over.

I saw feedback online about the Pine Knob show and it sounds like it was awesome.  Bob Weir seemed excited about it.   I would have been there if not for this.

They're going to be in Richmond on the 20th. Unfortunately I'll be in Detroit that week.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

I despise the "XXXX sold out.....". Guess what, they created and are getting paid for it. Go ahead and be a starving artist (obviously Mellencamp isn't) but if it were me, I'd rather be able to take care of my family then let pride keep me in poverty.

Yep, Dylan gets it. And he didn't even do this for the money, did it for a laugh:

Went to the Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Poison/Joan Jett show last night at Comerica Park.  It was really great except for Motley Crue, which is who I was looking forward to the most.  I had read that Vince mumbles his way through.  Whatever... I did the music.  But last night we couldn't make out the music.  I can't believe that go through their checks.  People were leaving.  Granted it was a Sunday night and after 10 and a long day for some, show started at 4:30,  but still.

Poison was better than I expected.  Brett Michaels really showed some love and knew where he was.  Referenced Blondies, Harpo's....  

Overall the show as a great trip down memory lane from elementary school with songs like Photograph, Bringing on the Heartbreak, Foolin', Shout at the Devil... then to middle and high school.  Even touched early college years with Dr. Feelgood and Kickstart my heart.  

People watching was even better. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 1:15 PM, oblong said:

I'm assuming my recollection is coming from Gary Graff, but IIRC, Henley was big on pushing for the tiniest edits if it was lyrics he was not involved with in order to get named as one of the songwriters.

Edited by ewsieg

46 minutes ago, oblong said:

Went to the Def Leppard/Motley Crue/Poison/Joan Jett show last night at Comerica Park.  It was really great except for Motley Crue, which is who I was looking forward to the most.  I had read that Vince mumbles his way through.  Whatever... I did the music.  But last night we couldn't make out the music.  I can't believe that go through their checks.  People were leaving.  Granted it was a Sunday night and after 10 and a long day for some, show started at 4:30,  but still.

Poison was better than I expected.  Brett Michaels really showed some love and knew where he was.  Referenced Blondies, Harpo's....  

Overall the show as a great trip down memory lane from elementary school with songs like Photograph, Bringing on the Heartbreak, Foolin', Shout at the Devil... then to middle and high school.  Even touched early college years with Dr. Feelgood and Kickstart my heart.  

People watching was even better. 

I was gung ho that I was going to go to this until over the course of the last few months the Drew and Mike Podcast has been tracking Vince's path to this tour and it's just been abysmal.  The scary thing is, he's much improved from a year ago.