What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

39 minutes ago, pfife said:

I actually can't even watch that whole video without someone cutting onions in my house.    I saw that on College Gameday last year and coincidentally someone was cutting onions then too.

Fun fact: if you have a lit candle near the area where you're cutting onions, you won't cry. Follow me for more tips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Say what you will about Florida..... but to me, I get chills when huge crowds sing songs and those chills are even more intense when it's Tom Petty.  Apparently this is a tradition there. 

Is it because he's local?

Fun fact I learned from Don Felder's book.... Duane Allman taught Don how to play slide.  Don taught Petty how to play. 

What was in the water in Gainesville?

I really enjoy Tom Pettys music...I know I am not a unicorn with that, dude has a ton of fans.  I will never forget seeing the video for Dont Come Around Here No More...I was 8 when that song came out...I thought the song was strange...hard to explain, but then the video with Alice as a cake...man that really messed me up.  I have a much better appreciation for his music now, but even back then there was something about his music that caught me.

correction.  I got my story mixed up.  Campbell wrote The Boys of Summer that Henley made famous after Petty turned it down.  The article I got it from was about The End of the Innocence and they shared that anecdote at the beginning.

To all you Tom Petty fans... I'm a bit old school about him...

I hope you've listened to his album "You're Going to Get It".

It sounds like Damn The Torpedoes before DTT sounds like DTT (which would be obvious since it was the album that came out just prior to DTT).

Great album!!! Sounds just as damn good as Damn the Torpedoes, only just a tad more raw.

Old school.

25th anniversary of the release of this song. I don't care what anyone says, I always though it was a great pop song. Insightful lyrics too considering that they were ages 11-16 at the time.

You have so many relationships in this life
Only one or two will last
You're going through all the pain and strife
Then you turn your back and they're gone so fast
Oh yeah
And they're gone so fast, yeah, yeah, oh
So hold on the ones who really care
In the end they'll be the only ones there
And when you get old and start losing your hair
Can you tell me who will still care?
Can you tell me who will still care?

oh oh
Okay, yeah

[Chorus]
Mmm bop, ba duba dop
Ba du bop, ba duba dop

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 3

Tonight's Under The Radar Radio will lean in a 60's influenced psychedelic Brit Pop direction as our Pick Of The Week is Kula Shaker's surprisingly good new album "First Congregational Church of Eternal Love And Free Hugs".   We'll play 4 from the album along with new music from Editors, Built To Spill, Dry Cleaning, Tchotchke, Drugdealer and the wonderful pairing of Suggs & Paull Weller - and older favorites from Temples, Spiritualized, Echo & The Bunnymen, Velvet Starlings and many more.  

7pm on annarbors107one.com  (107.1 FM) or thisisqmusic.com (94.5 FM in Grand Rapids and Western Michigan

I don't know, think these guys listened to Pink Floyd ever? 

Yeah for sure!   I rode up with a friend and his brother and sister in law were already out there.  They told us they weren't letting anybody in, this was around 5 so they went to the Union bar and were able to get a table.  We finally got there and hung out and decided to go to Pine Knob and at least drink some beers if that's all it was going to be.  We got in before the show started, there's a club entrance to the far left that had no line, thanks to the worker who pointed that out.  In fact they never even scanned a ticket.  We had lawn seats but instead of standing on a sloping wet hill in the rain we parked in front of the railings at the bottom of the hill. Couldn't really see much but we had video boards in front of us so it was cool.

It was my first phish show and it exceeded my expectations.  Didn't get home until 1:45.  

• Like 1