What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

Listening to the "new" Patty Griffin album "Tapes."

Kind of disappointed it doesn't have new material. Just old demos she had lying around the house. Quality is not very good but there are a couple decent tunes there anyway.

Edited by antrat

Tonight's Under The Radar Radio will feature the Australian band Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever as Pick Of The Week with their new album "Endless Rooms".   We'll play 4 songs from the album along with new tunes from The Smile, Belle And Sebastian, Alex The Astronaut, Beach Bunny and The Pixies and older favorites from Nada Surf, Sebadoh, Divine Fits, The Posies and a whole lot more..............It's starts at 7pm on 

annarbors107one.com

thisisqmusic.com

Sonic Bliss will be 3 hours of non-stop Trip Hop, Dream Pop, Ambient and World Grooves - Designed to Unwind.  Tonight there will be songs from Groove Armada, Radiohead, Slowdive, Moby, Dead Can Dance, Tindersticks, Esthero and about 34 others. 

Sonic Bliss airs at 9pm on

annarbors107one.com  (commercial free)

thisisqmusic.com

1061thecorner.com

31 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The Pixies put out some new material?!

New single,  new album coming September 30th    (Kim Deal hasn't been with the band the last 10 years, a young lady from Argentina (grew up in LA) named Paz Lenchantin is their bass player.   This will be their 4th album since reactivating in 2013.  

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Thanks for that!

(I didn't think Kim Deal would ever associate with Frank Black again... so with no possibility of that happening, of course it would need to be another bass player...)

I wasn't paying attention... I'll have to check their new stuff out!

They actually wound up getting along pretty well when they were touring 2004-2012, but they weren't really doing any new music or getting into that part of it, they were just making lots of money playing old songs.   Plus I think everyone is sober these days, which probably helps.   She just didn't want to do any new Pixies stuff and get into those battles all over again, so she walked away and made a Breeders record in 2018.  

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Post Malone needs to take a pause on his rap career and do a country/bluegrass album. Between his cover of Cocaine Blues here with Billy Strings and his cover of Strugill Simpson's You Can Have the Crown, he's got the skills and chops to make a real doggone country album.

I remember the first time I ever saw Post. I thought he was another idiot. Face tattoos etc.

But this dude is really talented. Not just in rap or hip hop.

Goes to show how you shouldn't judge on appearances.

• Like 1

Billy Strings is the man!  Saw him about 4-5 years ago at the Stand in Pontiac on NYE with about 200 other people.  Since then he's moved up to opening acts at places like Royal Oak Theater to last November when he had 2 sellout nights on his own.   Glad to see guys like that move up.  

On 6/13/2022 at 2:09 PM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Thank you! Fantastic!

You're welcome! Justin Townes Earle is one of the most underrated songwriters out there. I say that not because he has since passed away, but felt it when he was alive too. He's a true storyteller with the music he wrote. I don't have a specific starting point if you're interested in getting into more of his music. I would just recommend going to his Spotify page and hitting shuffle. You can't go wrong with almost anything he's put out.

Some of his stuff is more country-leaning, some of it-bluesy rock, some of it straight up rock, some of it Americana.

Tonight's Under The Radar Radio will feature the Swedish band Hater and their new album Sincere is Pick Of The Week.  We'll play 4 songs from that (think back to early 90's Shoegaze).   We'll also have new music from The Beths, The Pixies, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dry Cleaning and Preoccupations,  and older favorites from Chapterhouse, Stereolab, The Verve,  Cocteau Twins and Lush - and we'll even do a UTR Road Trip to Hater's native Sweden.   There's a  pa-pa-pa-pa-party goin' on at 7pm on

annarbors107one.com (107.1 FM Ann Arbor Western Wayne County) 

and

thisisqmusic.com (94.5FM Grand Rapids). 

And don't forget to chill with 3 hours of Trip Hop, Dream Pop, Ambient and World Grooves on Sonic Bliss with music this week from Depeche Mode, Thievery Corporation, Kate Bush, Portishead, and Bjork, new music from The Smile, Sun's Signature and Royksopp and a splash of Summer from Childish Gambino, Koop, Britta Phillips and The Orb.  There's about 30 more tracks too.   Same stations from 9 until Midnight.   Sonic Bliss - Serve Chilled. 

On 6/16/2022 at 3:52 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You're welcome! Justin Townes Earle is one of the most underrated songwriters out there. I say that not because he has since passed away, but felt it when he was alive too. He's a true storyteller with the music he wrote. I don't have a specific starting point if you're interested in getting into more of his music. I would just recommend going to his Spotify page and hitting shuffle. You can't go wrong with almost anything he's put out.

Some of his stuff is more country-leaning, some of it-bluesy rock, some of it straight up rock, some of it Americana.

His dad came by our station in 2009 to play a couple of songs.  Always heard he was difficult to deal with, but he could nave been nicer or more easy going (he's sober these days, that probably helped).   Too bad JT could never stay sober. I think he once said he believed the myth that suffering made great art.  He was so young.  His best was still ahead of him.  

On 6/16/2022 at 9:31 AM, oblong said:

Billy Strings is the man!  Saw him about 4-5 years ago at the Stand in Pontiac on NYE with about 200 other people.  Since then he's moved up to opening acts at places like Royal Oak Theater to last November when he had 2 sellout nights on his own.   Glad to see guys like that move up.  

Billy is blowing up!  He’s the new King of Jamgrass.  

• Like 1

Dead & Co. ran up against the curfew at Wrigley Field this past Friday and didn’t play an encore.    

They also fittingly opened the show with “Man Smart, Woman Smarter”  under a pink stealie banner with a save our rights fist.  

49E56706-986D-4160-8413-868AD322CC7B.jpeg

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1