What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

39 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Speaking of, I would not be at all surprised if it were later revealed that Neil Peart faked his own death so he could retire in peace and not subject Geddy and Alex to fan pressure for another tour/album.

He got on his bike and rode down to Costa Rica and is living out on a full service resort under an assumed name.

I like the new Depeche Mode single.    The new Dave Matthews Band song is a gigantic stiff.  Not a huge DMB fan here, but they seem to have lost their ability to produce any kind of hook, and that was a big reason they were successful.    Either the band has the ability in their contract to pick their singles and they wanted Madman's Eyes out there, or it really is the best track to pump up interest in the upcoming album in May, and if it is the best, it'll be a bigger stiff than Black Summer by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.     There is almost zero buzz on this album too.  You'd think with their track record that there would be more interest.  

(I am speaking in radio terms here,  not in personal taste terms), that RHCP track was as going through the motions as they've ever sounded.   

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I like the new Depeche Mode single.    The new Dave Matthews Band song is a gigantic stiff.  Not a huge DMB fan here, but they seem to have lost their ability to produce any kind of hook, and that was a big reason they were successful.    Either the band has the ability in their contract to pick their singles and they wanted Madman's Eyes out there, or it really is the best track to pump up interest in the upcoming album in May, and if it is the best, it'll be a bigger stiff than Black Summer by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.     There is almost zero buzz on this album too.  You'd think with their track record that there would be more interest.  

(I am speaking in radio terms here,  not in personal taste terms), that RHCP track was as going through the motions as they've ever sounded.   

DMB is a very different band than a Depeche Mode or RHCP.   They are a touring jam band that makes their money on the road every year with an established fan base.   They took the cash a few years back and signed a record deal so they have to put out a studio album every now and then but the studio doesn’t really doesn’t suit their style.  Also,   more than half the songs on the new album have been in the live rotation for the last few years including Madman’s Eyes.   YouTube it and you can see if the live version hits any different for you.    There’s one song on there they’ve been playing for 25 years but never made it on a studio album.

Of course with any discussion of Dave Matthews,  it must be pointed out that he doesn’t sing “like that” anymore.   It’s been a long time since he sang with the weird cadence and odd sounds like he did when then first hit the scene in the 90’s.

Edited by Hongbit

Last week on my Under The Radar show I featured the new White Reaper album and they were/are heavily influenced by Cheap Trick, so I played Dream Police.  We're not a Classic Rock station.    Got a few positive emails about it.  I guess the classic rock stations don't play them anymore.  Wonder why,   most of their songs were radio-perfect.  

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Last week on my Under The Radar show I featured the new White Reaper album and they were/are heavily influenced by Cheap Trick, so I played Dream Police.  We're not a Classic Rock station.    Got a few positive emails about it.  I guess the classic rock stations don't play them anymore.  Wonder why,   most of their songs were radio-perfect.  

When I did an inventory of the music I listen to the most and my favorite musicians, it went like this:

Band I’ve listened to the most in the last three years: Cheap Trick

My all time favorite guitarist: Rick Nielsen. 

My all time favorite vocalist: Robin Zander. 

My all time favorite drummer: Bun E Carlos 

By default it is established that Cheap Trick is my all time favorite band. 

https://youtu.be/wsa3DUnWPPk

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

When I did an inventory of the music I listen to the most and my favorite musicians, it went like this:

Band I’ve listened to the most in the last three years: Cheap Trick

My all time favorite guitarist: Rick Nielsen. 

My all time favorite vocalist: Robin Zander. 

My all time favorite drummer: Bun E Carlos 

By default it is established that Cheap Trick is my all time favorite band. 

https://youtu.be/wsa3DUnWPPk

Other than the Hall of Fame night, have Robin, Rick and Tom made up with Bun E. Carlos?      Hate seeing that happen. 

I really don't understand why radio operates the way it does...........music radio.  Everytime I worked at a station where we EXPANDED our playlist, the ratings went up,  Every. Single. Time.

Classic Rock Radio.    50 years of Rock & Roll - represented by 250 songs.     It sucks.  It's a joke.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Cheap Trick might be the best band that I know the littlest about.  They die Don’t be Cruel when I was in HS.  Then here and there I would pick up a song I recognized but never knew it was them. 

Like 10 years ago The Henry Ford exhibit had a rock stars cars and guitars exhibit. I kept seeing guitars belonging to Rick Nielson but I wasn’t looking closely enough and I read it as Rick Nelson, thinking that I never knew he had such an elaborate collection and why didn’t I ever read about it when he died. 

8 hours ago, oblong said:

Cheap Trick might be the best band that I know the littlest about.  They die Don’t be Cruel when I was in HS.  Then here and there I would pick up a song I recognized but never knew it was them. 

Like 10 years ago The Henry Ford exhibit had a rock stars cars and guitars exhibit. I kept seeing guitars belonging to Rick Nielson but I wasn’t looking closely enough and I read it as Rick Nelson, thinking that I never knew he had such an elaborate collection and why didn’t I ever read about it when he died. 

Listen to Music For Hangovers. Quite possibly the greatest collection of their “lesser known” songs recorded live. It’s pure greatness with a couple hits thrown in for the average listener. 

Taxman Mr Thief and Elo Kiddies are my favorites from them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Next time play “California Man” and tell us about those emails.

On 2/11/2023 at 8:31 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

I really don't understand why radio operates the way it does...........music radio.  Everytime I worked at a station where we EXPANDED our playlist, the ratings went up,  Every. Single. Time.

Classic Rock Radio.    50 years of Rock & Roll - represented by 250 songs.     It sucks.  It's a joke.  

It’s why I abandoned the format a quarter century ago. I still can’t listen to Stairway to Heaven even if it’s been 25 years since I’ve heard it all the way through.

There are so many deep rockin’ cuts these supermonster classic rock artists have that could be sprinkled in. “Sunspot Baby” by Seger. “Say You Love Me or Say Good night” by Speedwagon. “Chip Away the Stone” by Aerosmith. The aforementioned “California Man”. How about bringing the rock back into classic rock?

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s why I abandoned the format a quarter century ago. I still can’t listen to Stairway to Heaven even if it’s been 25 years since I’ve heard it all the way through.

There are so many deep rockin’ cuts these supermonster classic rock artists have that could be sprinkled in. “Sunspot Baby” by Seger. “Say You Love Me or Say Good night” by Speedwagon. “Chip Away the Stone” by Aerosmith. The aforementioned “California Man”. How about bringing the rock back into classic rock?

I was told something by a rock programmer back in 1991.   I asked why rock stations weren't playing "Girlfriend" by Matthew Sweet.   It's a great power pop/rock song.  It's loaded with hooks and it's got two blistering guitar solos.   He flat out told me that Matthew Sweet LOOKED too nerdy to get played on rock radio.    What?   Who cares what he looks like.  Just about the stupidest answer I'd ever heard and that's when I knew the genre wouldn't last.  If they had gotten that superficial, then it's probably doomed.    

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Back in the 1990s when I was the Program Director of an alternative station called 92.1 The Edge in Lansing, I had a phone conversation with our consultant.    While he was on hold he heard the Cranberries and Hole bqack-to-back.  He absolutely flipped out.  Why?   Because I played two female vocalists back-to-back (I programmed the music).    He was livid.     I asked him if Dreams by the Cranberries was a hit.  Yes.   Is Doll Parts by Hole a hit.   Yes.    Then what's the problem and got furious and started saying some very insulting things to me.     I'm not good at much, but I was a really good Music Director (I doubled as PD/MD).     Another indication that rock radio was doomed because this consultant was a rock consultant and were an alternative station and he didn't get that listeners don't care about this stuff,  not 90s listeners.    Maybe it was big deal in the 70s when you had only Pat Benatar, Ann Wilson and Stevie Nicks (they didn't sound the same at all).      He is the same kind of guy who told Sarah McLachlan that putting the Lilith Fair together would ruin her career.   Sarah's probably still counting royalty money from that.   

Anyway, with International women's week coming up, Under The Radar Radio will, for the 3rd year, feature all female solo artists,  all-female bands or bands with a female in a lead role (singer & writer).    It's going to be a great playlist that won't sound any different than a normal show.   There are a lot of women making some great music that don't look like some sort of Barbie doll.  Pick of the Week is U.S. Girls new album Bless This Mess.  It's a great album.   We'll also have  ne music from MIss Grit, Feist, Tennis, Caroline Rose, Momma, Ladytron, Boygenius and older songs from PJ Harvey, Jenny Lewis, Kate Bush, Bleached, Regina Spektor and more.   7 to 9 Sunday on annarbors107one.com (107.1) and thisisqmusic.com  (94.5) in Grand Rapids.   

• Like 1

That consultant was still in 60s and 70s mode. My overall favorite F the experts story is how Black Water came to be a hit. The record company was pushing Another Park, Another Sunday. A jock (and MD) in Roanoke, Va started blaming the flip side and it took off.

Unfortunately there are no longer any "Power House" smaller market stations anymore or MD's and PD's who program by their gut.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

...   Anyway, with International women's week coming up, Under The Radar Radio will, for the 3rd year, feature all female solo artists,  all-female bands or bands with a female in a lead role (singer & writer).    It's going to be a great playlist that won't sound any different than a normal show.   There are a lot of women making some great music that don't look like some sort of Barbie doll.  Pick of the Week is U.S. Girls new album Bless This Mess.  It's a great album.   We'll also have  ne music from MIss Grit, Feist, Tennis, Caroline Rose, Momma, Ladytron, Boygenius and older songs from PJ Harvey, Jenny Lewis, Kate Bush, Bleached, Regina Spektor and more.   7 to 9 Sunday on annarbors107one.com (107.1) and thisisqmusic.com  (94.5) in Grand Rapids.   

You're missing: The Throwing Muses, The Breeders, Cat Power, Garbage, The Sundays, The Sugarcubes, Sinead, Bjork, ... Damn, there's 100's to choose from.