What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

29 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Brandy Clark's new self-titled album is so, so good. It was produced by the other, also equally amazing Brandi, Brandi Carlile. My top tracks off of it are Dear Insecurity (which is tops by a mile for me), Northwest, Come Back to Me, and this song below, She Smoked in the House. Fantastic songwriting as always by Brandy Clark who continues to be one of the best singer/songwriters out there in the Country/Alt-Country/Americana genres.

It is rare for me to like country music but I appreciate the basic honesty of this song.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oblong said:

I'm going to see Brandi Carlisle tomorrow with Pink.

i'm very jealous.  Carlisle is one of my favorites, Pink is one of my wife's.  Already started looking at tickets, but my wife's health is hit and miss unfortunately, so may not be able to pull the trigger until later tomorrow.

The Who.

Went to see a Who tribute band from the Detroit area called "Live The Who" and they were absolutely 100% the best tribute band I've ever seen/heard. I was blown away by how good they are and it really made me reappreciate the catalog of music and the musicianship of the band. Townsend is such a raw emotional player and this dude captured it perfectly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I ****ing love this kind of country/roots/Appalachian music. I hadn't a clue who Oliver Anthony was until earlier today, but damn is he good. He's got the vocal characteristics of a Tyler Childers for sure and I love it.

Super talented, hopefully he dosen't get sucked up by a label commercialized. 

This popped up in one of my feeds. An edited version of this song peaked in the top 25 on the charts. I think the first Huey Lewis song that didn't have staying power. The radio version was more vocal and less Getz. . The story behind it was that Stan Getz ran into HN's at a funeral and said he'd like to play on one of their records. Getz had cancer, and Huey's dad was a radiologist, he said "Stan has cancer. If you don't put him on a record, I'm never talking to you again". This is part two because the original cut was too long for airplay in the 80s.

BTW, the backing horn section was from Tower of Power. You can't get much better than that.

https://youtu.be/vEWVqTUEokw

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Super talented, hopefully he dosen't get sucked up by a label commercialized. 

Honestly, I don’t get it at all.  It’s not bad but there’s absolutely nothing exceptional about this song.   It’s very average lyrics with basic guitar and a guy singing loudly to make his vocal sound more impressive than it really is.

There are thousands of unknown musicians with original songs that are at least as good or better both on songwriting and composition.

Edited by Hongbit

12 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Honestly, I don’t get it at all.  It’s not bad but there’s absolutely nothing exceptional about this song.   It’s very average lyrics with basic guitar and a guy singing loudly to make his vocal sound more impressive than it really is.

There are thousands of unknown musicians with original songs that are at least as good or better both on songwriting and composition.

Like Tater said he has that Tyler Childers vibe. Get him in a studio and lay down some actual tracks I think you will appreciate his vocals from that stand point.

22 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

The Who.

Went to see a Who tribute band from the Detroit area called "Live The Who" and they were absolutely 100% the best tribute band I've ever seen/heard. I was blown away by how good they are and it really made me reappreciate the catalog of music and the musicianship of the band. Townsend is such a raw emotional player and this dude captured it perfectly.

Have you seen what's left of the Who live before?   Pete is so freaking awesome man, face melting all the time.    It's one of those situations where you really haven't heard Townsend until you've seen them live.   I think I've seen the 5 times or so and it's incredible every time. One time I saw them was like 2 weeks after entwhistle died. 

6 minutes ago, pfife said:

Have you seen what's left of the Who live before?   Pete is so freaking awesome man, face melting all the time.    It's one of those situations where you really haven't heard Townsend until you've seen them live.   I think I've seen the 5 times or so and it's incredible every time. One time I saw them was like 2 weeks after entwhistle died. 

I haven't, unfortunately. I feared it would be a watered down product but now I think I have to go see them.

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I haven't, unfortunately. I feared it would be a watered down product but now I think I have to go see them.

It's been a hot few years since I've seen them so your fear could be real but I'd still be all about going.   If Pete's still kicking its gonna be worth it.

For a long time they had Ringos kid on drums, they may still.... he slays.   Plays it Moon style for sure

1 hour ago, pfife said:

People I know who went to their latest LCA show said it was a disaster... and I think Daltry admitted they ****ed up the sound.

19 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I see MAGA is already sucking him up online thinking this is their anthem. If he goes the direction of John Rich or Travis Tritt and turns into a whiney MAGA singer than I'm out.

The earlier title of the song "Bearded New Yorkers" wasn't so popular with the label?

1 hour ago, oblong said:

People I know who went to their latest LCA show said it was a disaster... and I think Daltry admitted they ****ed up the sound.

Wow that's sad to hear.   Hope is the production crews fault and not the band losing it.   

On 8/18/2023 at 2:14 PM, oblong said:

It was something to do with their ear pieces.  One guy who complained is a die hard who follows them. 

I saw The Who, or whatever they were referring to themselves as, around 5 years ago and it was quite good. Maybe it was “Daltrey & Townsend of The Who”. They made it clear everyone else on stage was not to be considered part of their band, ok for them to contribute sound but had to stay far, far away from Roger and Pete. 

On 8/7/2023 at 12:48 PM, pfife said:

Could any band member get a personalized mix in their ear like no click but ill take that voice reminder for the change?

Here’s a quick shot of our personalized mixing app. If you notice at the bottom, there are several tabs which allow you to custom mix the level of each instrument/vocal. 

IMG_4499.jpeg

Trey did a bunch of 10 minute behind the scenes videos with different members of their crew on the last Phish tour.   He had on the sound mix guy that sits practically on the stage and his only job is making sure each guy has what they want in their ear.   Keys and bass need to hear different things than drums and lead guitar and vocal.  They all have different hand signals and methods of communicating with him mid jam to adjust something or if there’s a problem.  Super interesting stuff but was on his IG and won’t link here. 

11 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Here’s a quick shot of our personalized mixing app. If you notice at the bottom, there are several tabs which allow you to custom mix the level of each instrument/vocal. 

IMG_4499.jpeg

man.... so not only do you get your own mix but you can tweak it yourself?!   I presume you use the warmup/early morning rehearsal to get 98% of the way there in your IEM mix then slight tweaks through the set as necessary?    

10 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Trey did a bunch of 10 minute behind the scenes videos with different members of their crew on the last Phish tour.   He had on the sound mix guy that sits practically on the stage and his only job is making sure each guy has what they want in their ear.   Keys and bass need to hear different things than drums and lead guitar and vocal.  They all have different hand signals and methods of communicating with him mid jam to adjust something or if there’s a problem.  Super interesting stuff but was on his IG and won’t link here. 

and all of those supporting staff dudes are top of their field as well.   It's so awesome.   I've watched videos where Trey runs down his guitar rig and I just walk away thinking he's gotta have several top flight techs to manage and maintain that as well.   Oh how much fun it would be to have unlimited resources.

It's really crazy to see how these things become a business and like any business you get people that are extremely specialized and good at their roles .   I've mentioned it here before but Some Kind of Monster by Metallica gives similar kind of insight.    

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

man.... so not only do you get your own mix but you can tweak it yourself?!   I presume you use the warmup/early morning rehearsal to get 98% of the way there in your IEM mix then slight tweaks through the set as necessary?    

It really requires little tweaking as most guitarists have the click, worship leaders, musical director and themselves up. Everyone else is down. It's just a matter of how loud do you need those. I can usually have mine set during the first warm up song and not have to touch it again. Sometimes I have to turn it down because the click is pinging my brain but that's about it.