What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

I saw Zappa five times during the 80s, the last one at the Royal Oak Music Theater in February 1988, during which Ike Willis pulled out a sheet of paper and starting rapping lyrics off it about C. Everett Koop and their botching of the AIDS crisis. The song was called “Promiscuous”, it ended up on the Broadway the Hard Way album, and it is said to be the one and only time they ever performed it.

On 9/2/2023 at 9:22 AM, casimir said:

Wow.  Wasn’t expecting this one.

I’ve seen him in Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, and Las Vegas.

The Vegas one….  A certain poster around here kicked the idea about our Buffett group of several couples going there.  So, he texted me one morning about tickets going on sale in less than an hour, are me and my wife in?  Well, my wife and I hadn’t really made a decision.  So my response was, well, the wife didn’t say no, so, sure, we’re in.  And that’s how we saw him in Vegas.

You're welcome. When you are friends with someone for 30+ years, you learn a few things about how to help them get to the right answer and to not question a "yes".

On 8/23/2023 at 3:49 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

There is bad country music played on the radio every single day. There is good country music not played on the radio. Charlie Marie makes good country music and she's never featured on the radio alongside the all that crappy music. Listen to more Charlie Marie.

Thanks for this, Tater. Love her voice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ewsieg said:

First release off of the new Stones album and I actually like it...the music video ain't bad either.

The video is great.    I don’t love the song but it’s better than what I expected a new Stones song to sound like now.  

I’m not sure why they are making new music at this point of their journey but I definitely give them props for staying creative and trying something new and still taking chances.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 3:08 PM, ewsieg said:

My buddy watched this guy open for the Rival Sons last night, turns out he's from the west side of the state.  He said he sounded better in concert than any of the music he's found online so far.

I view this as something like Davey Knowles. Absolutely dynamic live but on the studio recordings there is just something missing. It's really good but live there is another level.

On 9/2/2023 at 8:40 AM, CMRivdogs said:

RIP Jimmy Buffett. 

I need a cheeseburger and green label.

Been on Buffett overload ever since.  I think yesterday at the gym was the first nonBuffett music I’ve turned on since his passing.  His Sirius channel which plays numerous other artists has been exclusively Buffett, too.

21 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Never forget that without Unions you'd literally be handcuffed or shackled to your desk/factory floor or the doors would be locked from the outside until your work day was over. In honor of the UAW negotiations I thought a little Pete Seeger would be appropriate.

I blame universal literacy as well.

On 9/5/2023 at 7:38 AM, chasfh said:

I saw Zappa five times during the 80s, the last one at the Royal Oak Music Theater in February 1988, during which Ike Willis pulled out a sheet of paper and starting rapping lyrics off it about C. Everett Koop and their botching of the AIDS crisis. The song was called “Promiscuous”, it ended up on the Broadway the Hard Way album, and it is said to be the one and only time they ever performed it.

Never would have pegged you as a Zappa fan for some reason. 

• Haha 2