What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

23 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm sure you considered these when you made the highlighted statement, but I feel like Led Zep and Pink Floyd and to a slightly lesser extend David Bowie (if he counts as a band)  probably the closest to being a "Beatles"-like band in the 70s and I'm interested in hearing why you do not consider them as such. 

At a slightly lower tier even though I hate them I'd have to mention the Eagles.   Maybe Aerosmith? 

Next level lower, CSNY?

I think the Eagles are a solid choice. I guess the question is who is most responsible for the country/rock sound. 

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I think the Eagles are a solid choice. I guess the question is who is most responsible for the country/rock sound. 

Yeah the Dead did that a lot too esp if we consider bluegrass as a variety of country but I don't think they're responsible for it, Eagles maybe be moreso

12 hours ago, MIguy said:

I just wish it had been a better song.  

I don’t really know why, but listening to this song made me incredibly sad, as opposed to being happy to have a new Beatles song. I think part of it is the loss of both John and George, and what music they both could have been making all these years.  
(And part of it just made me think of all the people I have lost in my life… and the realization that I’ll never see any of them again.) 

Ugh. I am morbid today.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I'm sure you considered these when you made the highlighted statement, but I feel like Led Zep and Pink Floyd and to a slightly lesser extend David Bowie (if he counts as a band)  probably the closest to being a "Beatles"-like band in the 70s and I'm interested in hearing why you do not consider them as such. 

At a slightly lower tier even though I hate them I'd have to mention the Eagles.   Maybe Aerosmith? 

Next level lower, CSNY?

I don't think they changed anything in such a massive way, that's all.     Bowie was interesting but did he really change music in a massive way?  I don't think there really can be another Beatles because they were the perfect band at the perfect time and were extremely lucky to be paired with George Martin.   I think just about any other producer completely stifles them.         The Beatles were dominant in the 60s and no other artist ever dominated a decade like that.   The closest (and he's not close) is Prince or from a pop-culture standpoint, Madonna.    Not saying those other artists weren't great, just sayin they didn't have that incredible impact.    Honestly, who could? 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

10 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Speaking of AC/DC, here is an isolated track of Malcom playing Whole Lotta Rosie. Very dry sound. Maybe a touch of reverb but that's it. Players tend to over-distort when covering them but its a very raw sound.

Maybe we need to move to guitar thread but I think many guitarists over-distort in all sorts of situations.  Sadly it took me too long to learn that I was doing it and now I run my dirt pedals around 9ock on the gain and it might still be too much

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think they changed anything in such a massive way, that's all.     Bowie was interesting but did he really change music in a massive way?  I don't think there really can be another Beatles because they were the perfect band at the perfect time and were extremely lucky to be paired with George Martin.   I think just about any other producer completely stifles them.         The Beatles were dominant in the 60s and no other artist ever dominated a decade like that.   The closest (and he's not close) is Prince or from a pop-culture standpoint, Madonna.    Not saying those other artists weren't great, just sayin they didn't have that incredible impact.    Honestly, who could? 

Further on this.  The Beatles changed the way music was recorded with their experimentation,  they changed how albums are made and released and how they were singular entities.  That started with Rubber Soul.    Before that, a band would go record 30 songs, the label would pick 14 or 12 and put them on a record and there was no real theme to it.   Beatles changed that.   Also - music videos.  They were the first band to consistently do music videos (because they stopped touring).   The way they changed their sound from 1963 to 1967 is pretty incredible too.    Would Psychedelic Rock ever had a chance to be embraced if it wasn't for them?       Nobody could have that impact again.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Totally fair.   I do think PF had a really big influence though.   But not as big as Beatles.  LZ kinda just rocked.  Maybe influential in that they inspired generations of folks to pick up instruments, I'm thinking about the Waynes World "No Stairway" sign  

Also to be considered, all of these 70s bands obvs stood on the shoulders of the Beatles to various extents.  

But the Beatles stood on Bob Dylans shoulders. 

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

True, though I think you'd have to put them in a second tier in terms of cultural presence - they had a loyal following but not a huge one. Granted that wasn't an explicit criteria in the question.

Interesting, I've always thought their cultural presence was very strong, they're often called the most iconic band ever, and gross a crapload of money touring (which could be just b/c they toured constantly). But I also know they have legion of haters too

Edited by pfife

I think, as far as influence goes, The Sex Pistols are right up there.   Not a great band, but they sparked something

42 people showed up for a gig in Manchester, England on June 4, 1976..............half of them went out and formed bands. 

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/four-dozen-people-witness-the-gig-that-changed-the-world

But lets be honest, they really couldn't play - they were just right place/right time.   The Beatles with the quality, influence, widening what rock music could be,  that was a once in a lifetime thing.        And yes Black Sabbath created metal, but they didn't change music like the Beatles did.    Hell, the Beatles changed society.    Not even the early hip hop and rap artists had that type of immediate impact (yes, they changed society, but not immediately).     So with that in mind, it's nice to hear the new song and it's yeah, just kind of there.   All that's left now is Carnival Of Light and that didn't even have structure or lyrics.   It's just one of those things that can never happen again.   

I like the Pink Floyd suggestion. Had enough mainstream appeal and still with the critics too.  I heard an acoustic version of Money and it stood out to me.  Sometimes you need to hear someone else do it to appreciate it again  

I hate AC/DC so I can’t be objective. I don’t know why I just am tired of hearing them.  Maybe too much exposure.