What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

37 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

There is a world of great music out there if you just know where to look. This one came up on one of my Spotify alt-country radio playlists. What a song.

There aren't enough hours in the date to hear all the great music that is easily and readily available.  Anyone who says there isn't good music anymore just isn't open minded or they aren't trying to find it.   It's everywhere. 

• Like 1

The opening couple of lines of 10x10 smack you right in the face and the rest of the song keeps you feeling. Pony Bradshaw is one of many great lyricists out there in the alt-country space today.

Hiding from that suicide
Painting houses, getting by
I read that book just like they said
Tried my best to raise the dead
There's cracks in the walls in every room
Sweating and bleeding just like a wound
Just like a wound

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Hongbit said:

They would be guaranteed stars if it were 1986 again.  

Retro sounds make comeback all the time and there are quite a few rock/soul artists that are getting attention.    A hook is a hook.  Black Crowes still sell tickets. 

But it doesn't matter.  Their keyboard player got a arrested today (on the day of their album release) for some very perverted behavior with non-adults.  It's so bad it probably ends them.   I doubt the other guys even knew.    This sucks.  

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Retro sounds make comeback all the time and there are quite a few rock/soul artists that are getting attention.    A hook is a hook.  Black Crowes still sell tickets. 

But it doesn't matter.  Their keyboard player got an arrested today (on the day of their album release) for some very perverted behavior with non-adults.  It's so bad it probably ends them.   I doubt the other guys even knew.    This sucks.  

I saw the alert on my phone when on my walk today, finally I got to walk, and was pretty sure it was the band you had posted. But I forgot to double check. 

Our station plays a couple of songs by Elle King.   I don't really like her that much.   Then the drunken tirade at the Dolly show at the Grand Ole Opry - embarrassing herself.   I guess it's not her first drunken rant on stage.   Has a reputation for being very difficult and obnoxious and missing shows.    Her dad is Rob Schneider.     The apple IS the tree.    

I will always love South Park for this - especially for it's accuracy. 

On 1/25/2024 at 6:44 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Detroit band.  They're about to pop big time.  Album drops tomorrow. 

Can't get this out of my head, this song is a ****ing jam

This song would work well over the closing credits of an 80s light comedy.

If anyone is into ambient music, I messed around with this about a year ago. Took me a few days and I am sure with some effort it could have turned out better. Still, here it is as it was and most likely forever will be unless the ambient bug bites again.

11 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If anyone is into ambient music, I messed around with this about a year ago. Took me a few days and I am sure with some effort it could have turned out better. Still, here it is as it was and most likely forever will be unless the ambient bug bites again.

Something similar for me.  I call it my coma playlist. If I am ever in a coma I want this played.  I also call it my “I don’t do drugs but if you turn the lights off and have a good set of headphones this could simulate it” playlist.  

IMG_6298.png

I play volleyball a couple of times a week and put together a playlist of songs with a high BPM to keep the energy level going. I included "Subdivisions" by Rush and, about twenty seconds into the song, a woman in her 30's asked if it was the theme to Chips.

• Haha 2

On 1/26/2024 at 5:37 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

But it doesn't matter.  Their keyboard player got a arrested today (on the day of their album release) for some very perverted behavior with non-adults.  It's so bad it probably ends them.   I doubt the other guys even knew.    This sucks.  

Sounds like they had just hired this guy for their upcoming tour.  Opening band refused to play with them and now the tour has been cancelled.  I listened to several songs of theirs and enjoyed them.  Hopefully they can get through this.

4 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Sounds like they had just hired this guy for their upcoming tour.  Opening band refused to play with them and now the tour has been cancelled.  I listened to several songs of theirs and enjoyed them.  Hopefully they can get through this.

No, he was with the band before that, he's on the cover of the new album, so he was a full time band member. 

There are some other things in the wind about them that, if true, means they're finished.   

Shame, they had a fun sound, and no, it's not original, but what is anymore?     Everything old makes a comeback at some point.  

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, he was with the band before that, he's on the cover of the new album, so he was a full time band member. 

There are some other things in the wind about them that, if true, means they're finished.   

Shame, they had a fun sound, and no, it's not original, but what is anymore?     Everything old makes a comeback at some point.  

If it were the 70's... nobody would have noticed or cared.

On 1/31/2024 at 9:56 PM, oblong said:

Something similar for me.  I call it my coma playlist. If I am ever in a coma I want this played.  I also call it my “I don’t do drugs but if you turn the lights off and have a good set of headphones this could simulate it” playlist.  

IMG_6298.png

My former boss and I drove from Baumholder army post in Germany to Sembach Air Base at 120miles per hour listening to La Villa Strangiato air guitaring and air drumming the entire time.  Heck of a memory. 

• Like 2

I didn't catch much of the show but viewing the clip of 80 year old Joni Mitchell doing Both Sides Now and me reflecting on how the meaning of the song changes as we age was something special. Cudos to Brandi Carlisle for befriending her and introducing Ms Mitchell to a new audience. In fact I think I prefer the older almost tenor Ms Mitchell to the younger soprano version.

The Luke Combs/Tracy Chapman duet was also pretty special

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I didn't catch much of the show but viewing the clip of 80 year old Joni Mitchell doing Both Sides Now and me reflecting on how the meaning of the song changes as we age was something special. Cudos to Brandi Carlisle for befriending her and introducing Ms Mitchell to a new audience. In fact I think I prefer the older almost tenor Ms Mitchell to the younger soprano version.

The Luke Combs/Tracy Chapman duet was also pretty special

I’ve never been a Joni Mitchell fan apart from Blue, but that’s an incredible song. It was played at the Closing Ceremonies of the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver and also appears in Love Actually, so a couple of other places young people were exposed to it. 
Why did I think Tracy Chapman died last year?

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1