What Are You Listening To?

mtutiger

I think this video is gorgeous.  Diana Krall does not appear in it.    I think it was shot in black & white because they made the video in the Spring and it's about Autumn, but it obviously was shot during the pandemic because there is nobody around, but these drone shots of NYC are just stunning and it makes me want to go back there so much and the lack of people makes it look incredible instead of eerie (but if you put an eerie song to it, it would be the opposite).   NYC in autumn is pretty spectacular, the weather is pleasant and Central Park is breathtaking.  I haven't been there in the Autumn since 1996.    Thank goodness they had the sense to not let developers devour the park (oh, they keep trying to change laws).  

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I didn't know him,  only met him a couple of times before Pistons games due to mutual radio friends, but based on the ones I know that knew or worked him and their reaction to his passing, I know he was good guy.   

I interacted with him a few times on twitter. He’d just post things like “on todays date in 1976 Peter Frampton…”  I enjoyed his tweets for that reason. 

I heard this today: Jingle Bells was never a made for Christmas song. Everytime a bell rings take a drink?

It was published under the title "The One Horse Open Sleigh" in September 1857. It has been claimed that it was originally written to be sung by a Sunday school choir for Thanksgiving, or as a drinking song.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I heard this today: Jingle Bells was never a made for Christmas song. Everytime a bell rings take a drink?

It was published under the title "The One Horse Open Sleigh" in September 1857. It has been claimed that it was originally written to be sung by a Sunday school choir for Thanksgiving, or as a drinking song.

Play the game that way and Everytime a bell rings a drunk gets his wings. 

I remember when Lisa Loeb made Jingle Bells someone said "why would a Jewish girl sing a Christmas song?" and I tried to point out there is nothing about Christmas anywhere in the song and i just got a head shake that I was wrong.   

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember when Lisa Loeb made Jingle Bells someone said "why would a Jewish girl sing a Christmas song?" and I tried to point out there is nothing about Christmas anywhere in the song and i just got a head shake that I was wrong.   

People keep getting dumber. I'm old and when we were kids we knew Jingle Bells was not a Christmas Carol.

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Play the game that way and Everytime a bell rings a drunk gets his wings. 

Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin layed an egg, The Bat Mobile lost a wheel and the Joker got away. Hey!

• Haha 2

One of my favorite radio bits was the jock who played the Barking Dogs version of Jingle Bells. Coming out of the record he acknowleged the local dogs who "left presents" on the lawn outside the studio. Immediately followed by sound effects of a gun going off several times.

This lead into a local newscast, with the reporter trying to recover from laughter.

You can't get away with that bit today 

• Haha 3

On 12/21/2023 at 10:24 AM, Tigeraholic1 said:

Oh, drinking song. 100%. What would it even sound like in choir form?

On 12/21/2023 at 6:04 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

There’s no Jesus in the song, just like there’s no Jesus in secular Christmas.

On 12/20/2023 at 7:10 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Give us 10 albums.  Just 10.

late to the party, but ok. I'll call these 10 of what I'm the most into right now plus some faves. in no particular order:

• Rezzonator: Rebirth
  • Nomeansno: Wrong
  • Nomeansno: Sex Mad/You Kill Me
  • They Might Be Giants: The Else
  • They Might Be Giants: Apollo 18
  • Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti
  • Yes: Close to the Edge
  • Beats Antique: ELEKTRAPHONE
  • Rush: Vapor Trails
  • Old 97's: Too Far to Care

JAZZ Version:

These are some of my favorite Jazz Albums (I have all of these) and I left quite a few out... I don't know why "Bird and Diz" didn't make this cut... call it a bonus album after these 10 (in no particular order):

John Coltrane - Love Supreme:

Coltrane_-_A_Love_Supreme.jpg.05d1b7af415b398dedbe0d9b55291bfc.jpg

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue:

MilesDavis-KindofBlue.jpg.f0d886efcd1421c52ee6db495f8285fa.jpg

Joe Henderson - Lush Life The Music of Billy Strayhorn

JoeHenderson-Lush_Life.jpg.7058ffb89b05405859526f7fe8973749.jpg

John Coltrane - Giant Steps:

Coltrane-GiantSteps.thumb.jpg.bff1e991debc2c055e08c0b1dd5747fb.jpg

Wynton Marsalis - Crescent City Christmas Card:

s-l960.jpg.2ec3afc3b77c34ab49abec072e4c9a5b.jpg

Stan Getz/ Joao Gilberto:

Getz-gilberto.jpg.9d069e34e994e775c829ed24701528f9.jpg

Dave Brubeck - Time Out:

DaveBrubeck-Time_out_album_cover.jpg.28aade7097fdbb3d03f0848c5550154e.jpg

Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday & Others at Newport:

Ella_Fitzgerald_and_Billie_Holiday_at_Newport.jpg.d8947007dd420b269db023bda546fb2a.jpg

Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser:

Thelonious_Monk_-_straight_no_chaser.jpg.db93d620e16ae6b47bad24d4c08ed689.jpg

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream

Monks_Dream_by_TheloniousMonk.jpg.ef1a078abba45ad942dd5f01682a2fe6.jpg