NFL Draft Night - As It Happens.

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm just curious if Jacksonville took Thibodaux, do the Lions take Walker or Hutchinson? 

I still think it was Hutch all the way. He was my edge 1. I also had Jameson as my WR1. What he did to SEC defenses was unreal. 

27 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I still think it was Hutch all the way. He was my edge 1. I also had Jameson as my WR1. What he did to SEC defenses was unreal. 

if you look at the leaked cowboys board, they had first round grades on 14 players and hutch and williams were both in that group, with williams being the last one.

11 hours ago, Jason_R said:

It's almost like Brad Holmes is good at his job! Could it be that for the first time in franchise history we have a capable GM?

he a small linebacker taken in the 5th round.  he's most likely a special teamer.  if he can bulk up and play, maybe he'll be alright?  the chances arent great.

Yeah as much as I believe in Holmes and I do think he is really smart the thing is there are a bunch of other smart guys in the NFL too that have access to the same analytics we do so if somebody were to last to the 5th round something tells me that there must be some red flags with the player. Not to say they can't overcome that and become great but it's something that I would certainly not count on. 

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

he a small linebacker taken in the 5th round.  he's most likely a special teamer.  if he can bulk up and play, maybe he'll be alright?  the chances arent great.

I came to say what MB said. Lots of mocks had the Lions taking Dean at 32 or 34. Mayhew might have done it! I’m glad Holmes did not, and got a cheap substitute late.

Also, I’m not sure he’ll have to bulk up. He’ll probably come in mostly on passing downs. 

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah as much as I believe in Holmes and I do think he is really smart the thing is there are a bunch of other smart guys in the NFL too that have access to the same analytics we do so if somebody were to last to the 5th round something tells me that there must be some red flags with the player. Not to say they can't overcome that and become great but it's something that I would certainly not count on. 

There are also a lot of dumb guys! We have had a steady stream of them. Now it appears that maybe we don’t. 

Maybe some of Holmes’s picks won’t pan out, but he clearly has an understanding of positional value, a commitment to football character, and an aggressive streak. He might already be the best Lions GM ever! 

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

1) good!  i agree.  that said, if hutch can be half as good as calvin, stafford, or suh, we'll have something.

2) that's not a high bar to reach.

I think you have to evaluate Hutchinson on this draft and not previous drafts. It really should be is Hutchinson at least the 2nd best player in this draft. I believe all three of Johnson, Stafford and Suh would be the best player in this draft. It would be interesting to see where they would go in this draft. Provide no trades, which I believe there would be significant interest in trading up, Jacksonville has to take Johnson. This would be interesting for the Lions. We would really know if they were committed to Goff. I think they would take Stafford and Houston takes Suh. I believe all three would be taken before anyone from this 2022 class would get drafted.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What's amazing is the team ahead of the Lions in the Suh and Johnson drafts ended up taking busts at QB. I would probably rate Sam Bradford a bust. The Lions ended up with two generational talents on their roster at the same time with a franchise QB and still didn't win. 

I've always thought of all the sports, football is a game of weakest links. If you aren't balanced enough the other team is going to exploit your weaknesses and beat you. Maybe that comes from watching teams with stars lose.....:classic_dry:

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What's amazing is the team ahead of the Lions in the Suh and Johnson drafts ended up taking busts at QB. I would probably rate Sam Bradford a bust. The Lions ended up with two generational talents on their roster at the same time with a franchise QB and still didn't win. 

It's obviously a moot point but I wonder if Bradford didn't shockingly decide to return for his senior season if the Lions would've taken him over Stafford in that draft? 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's obviously a moot point but I wonder if Bradford didn't shockingly decide to return for his senior season if the Lions would've taken him over Stafford in that draft? 

That would have lead to some epic debates. There were people who said the Lions should have taken Sanchez after Stafford blew out both of his shoulders and the Jets were in the AFC Championship. It could have came down to whoever was cheaper. IIRC, the Lions and Stafford agreed to a contract before the draft which was allowed back then. 

Washington's first two picks were both caught off guard by how highly they were taken. Dotson was watching the NBA playoffs and "couldn't believe it at first" when he got the call from Ron Rivera. "We were kind of thinking later first, early second," the No. 16 overall pick said, per NBC Sports Washington. Washington's second-rounder was even more surprised: "Oh, man -- I was thinking at least third, somewhere in the third or fourth round," Mathis said, via The Athletic. "That was just feedback we were getting. So, it most definitely wasn't expected early." Well, alright then. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the Commanders' value assessment -- coming from the draftees themselves! Washington GM Martin Mayhew has heard the REACH chorus, and he's not having it: "We understand our needs and what we need as a football team much better than people on the outside looking in."

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-draft-class-rankings-chiefs-jets-ravens-shine-brightest

Oh Martin, you and your 30th ranked draft haul. His two top picks were stunned they were picked so high. Meanwhile, our top two picks were both surprised they were not picked higher. 

I'll say it again. Brad Holmes is already the best Lions GM of the Super Bowl era.