NFL Draft Night - As It Happens.

Depending on how we look next year would determine if Id be willing to give up a ton for somebody like Jackson. 

If we do indeed play near .500 and it appears that we'd be a qb away from being not just legit playoff contenders but possible SB contenders then Id gladly trade our two firsts next year and another one for Jackson.(assuming he is playing at a high level)

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Then I'll pass. I don't see how either of them are worth more than Stafford. A Stafford style trade would be the most I would do. I'm not really even that big of a fan of either them to be honest. 

I think it all comes down to age. Stafford was mid 30s versus mid 20s with Kyler and Lamar. You're presumably getting a decade out of either Lamar or Kyler in their prime versus 2-4 seasons of Stafford in his prime. I agree with Buddha that the bidding starts at 3 1sts. If I'm willing to do it for unproven commodities in Stroud or Young then I'd probably do it for Kyler or Lamar as well.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think it all comes down to age. Stafford was mid 30s versus mid 20s with Kyler and Lamar. You're presumably getting a decade out of either Lamar or Kyler in their prime versus 2-4 seasons of Stafford in his prime. I agree with Buddha that the bidding starts at 3 1sts. If I'm willing to do it for unproven commodities in Stroud or Young then I'd probably do it for Kyler or Lamar as well.

Lamar also relies heavily on his legs unlike Stafford. When he can't make plays with his legs, how's he going to be as a strict pocket passer? We saw how quickly Cam Newton's career cratered once he couldn't run anymore. I think Stafford is going to age a lot better than Jackson or Murray and can probably play close to age 40 at a high level. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Then I'll pass. I don't see how either of them are worth more than Stafford. A Stafford style trade would be the most I would do. I'm not really even that big of a fan of either them to be honest. 

stafford was 33 when he was traded.  Lamar jackson is 26 and kyler murray is 25.

deshaun watson is also 26.  ergo they are worth more than stafford.

were free to say "no thanks" but someone else will.  that's what it will cost you to get a good, young, nfl qb on the trade market.

most of the teams that will be picking top 5 will likely need a qb, so they may not want to trade down.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

stafford was 33 when he was traded.  Lamar jackson is 26 and kyler murray is 25.

were free to say "no thanks" but someone else will.  that's what it will cost you to get a good, young, nfl qb on the trade market.

most of the teams that will be picking top 5 will likely need a qb, so they may not want to trade down.

Let's be real, Stafford's value was lower because he played 12 seasons and only made the playoffs 3 times and lost them all. He was labeled as not being to win a big game. I think it's 50/50 whether Lamar Jackson will still be a top tier QB at age 33. 

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

*IF* they want a QB next year - and I still think that is an open question, they have to hope that enough other guys float up to top 10 rankings so that it looks more like 2021 and you might be able to package both 1sts and get one of the top guys, or another Mac Jones falls to mid-round. I don't see any easy way for them to get into play for Stroud or Young if those are only two ranked 1st round. Or maybe Goff breaks a leg.

Edited by gehringer_2

Stafford didn't exactly look that good the last couple years he played, that may have been due to injury but still from an outsider's perspective he was playing like a fringe upper half qb that was getting older all the while seemingly getting banged up more. 

Hypothetically if he would have played 2020 like he did for the Rams in 2021(throw out the team success just talking personal standpoint) I think we probably couldve gotten 3 firsts for him but in typical Lions fashion he had to have one of his poorer seasons the year he asked to be traded so we couldn't get as much as we might otherwise have gotten. 

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Let's be real, Stafford's value was lower because he played 12 seasons and only made the playoffs 3 times and lost them all. He was labeled as not being to win a big game. I think it's 50/50 whether Lamar Jackson will still be a top tier QB at age 33. 

I think there is a similar perception of Lamar and the playoffs.  Personally I just wouldn’t want to trade and give a mega contract to a run first QB like Lamar.  Draft and develop would be fine.  I just don’t see how he can have longevity with his current play style.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Stroud has good year he and Young go 1/2 just like the 1,2,3 QB sweep last year. So that would be the Lions finishing badly and still missing a top QB.   :classic_sad:

Our best hope there is that Jax is one of the top 2 teams and willing to trade out of their spot for a basket full of draft picks. And we'd have to make the winning bid...

But I don't think we finish in the top 10 picks next year, let alone the top 4 so... 

Next Year's puzzle to solve.

Lamar being a run first qb is definitely a legit concern but I do think that he is a good enough passer that he won't go full Cam Newton once he can't run and I also think his athleticism is so much higher than any non Vick qb we have ever seen that if/ when he starts to lose something he still will be so ahead of everybody that else that he will still be a problem for teams with his legs. 

6 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I think there is a similar perception of Lamar and the playoffs.  Personally I just wouldn’t want to trade and give a mega contract to a run first QB like Lamar.  Draft and develop would be fine.  I just don’t see how he can have longevity with his current play style.

The more I think about, the more I don't want Lamar Jackson. He puts up RB numbers. No way that is sustainable. The Ravens are one of the best run teams in the NFL and there is a reason they are not committing to Jackson. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 1:39 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Not Lions related but was reading Kiper's write up about Day 2 and his winner's and losers and it just baffles me how people in his position can be so dense. He named the Seahawks in the loser category cause they passed on Willis twice and paraphrased it with something like "I don't get it, do they think that Drew Lock or Geno Smith are going to play even close to above average football this season?"

I think that if you look at it from his point of view, it does seem odd... the problem is that his point of view is to narrowly defined.

As a "draft guru" he's looking at it purely from a draft perspective.  The Seahawks NEED a QB.  Here's a guy who some projected as high as #2 over all, but he fell to the second round. Therefore he's a high ranked player who fills a position of need and therefore he's the perfect fit.

Looking PURELY from a draft perspective, it makes sense.  The problem is that the Seahawks are obviously looking BEYOND the three days of the draft, Mel Kiper isn't.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:20 AM, sagnam said:

Hutch has the Zach Wilson buzz this year with the focus on his mom and sister(s)

image.thumb.jpeg.1511be30c693128e85c5e45d9c155e8c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5ca6cf1db5978f143e0c80b7425d242c.jpeg

I was going to make some comment on this during the draft... but I forgot the name of the poster on the old site who made some comments about (I think it was) the Piston coach's daughters, who were minors at the time.

Lamar’s already had his best season. The league has figured him out. Pass. 

Murray is very talented but fragile. Absolutely fell apart down the stretch and in the playoffs. Physically he is a major upgrade from Goff, but his mental game may make it close to a wash. 

We have one more throwaway year with Goff to see if he can make this new offense go. I think he will have a good season. 

One last one from

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/02/baltimore-ravens-draft-room-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

3. Love what Detroit did. The night before the draft, in Vegas, Aidan Hutchinson’s sister, Aria, said as the pre-draft pressure was getting to everyone in the family: “Please, please, please let him get picked by Detroit!” Think of that. When’s the last time someone has wanted a loved one to go to the Detroit Lions? Night Train Lane? Joe Schmidt? The Hutchinsons live near Ford Field and are close, granted. But if they didn’t believe that the Lions had a chance to escape their hellhole, they’d never have been begging for Aidan to land there. The Lions felt similarly. After the Jaguars picked Travon Walker number one, the Lions told the league the pick was in, and it was Hutchinson—within a minute of the Walker pick. “We turned the card in so fast the league got mad at us,” said one Lion official.