NFL Draft Night - As It Happens.

55 minutes ago, buddha said:

who do you think will get a hc job first?

Probably neither.  Glenn’s best shot was in NO that already knew him.   He will make a good Flores interview going forward.    Johnson has Goff as his QB.  

Edited by Hongbit

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Probably neither.  Glenn’s best shot was in NO that already knew him.   He will make a good Flores interview going forward.    Johnson has Goff as his QB.  

glenn will get one next time.  he's been mentioned for a while now.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

glenn will get one next time.  he's been mentioned for a while now.

He might, but I think it will take more improvement of the Lions defense first. Outside the Saints, it would have been very hard for a team to sell their fans and Glenn to sell an owner on hiring the first-time DC of the 31st ranked defense. Obviously we all know in Detroit there is more to the story than that, but a lot of ownerships aren’t “in-tune” enough to see that. And there are only 32 jobs.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

He might, but I think it will take more improvement of the Lions defense first. Outside the Saints, it would have been very hard for a team to sell their fans and Glenn to sell an owner on hiring the first-time DC of the 31st ranked defense. Obviously we all know in Detroit there is more to the story than that, but a lot of ownerships aren’t “in-tune” enough to see that. And there are only 32 jobs.

Mike Vrabel was hired as head coach after one year as defensive coordinator in which his defense ranked dead last. Vrabel's defense gave up the same PPG as Glenn's. In Glenn's case, he inherited a defense that was the 2nd worst of all time. 

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

i've read glenn's name mentioned for years now.  parcells guy.  the league knows him.  he got interview buzz last time.  if he keeps his nose clean and there is nothing in his past (like with bienemy) then he should be on the fast track in the next couple years.

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Mike Vrabel was hired as head coach after one year as defensive coordinator in which his defense ranked dead last. Vrabel's defense gave up the same PPG as Glenn's. In Glenn's case, he inherited a defense that was the 2nd worst of all time. 

It is possible, I think it’s just hard to do. A lot of owners would rather hire the Dabboll, Saleh, arguably McDaniels, etc., who are evidenced to be a really good coordinator.

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Btw PFF put out their 2023 mock and they have us taking CJ Stroud at 4, yeah it would suck to have to endure another terrible season but if I knew Stroud would be at the end of the rainbow Id deal with it. 

If Stroud has good year he and Young go 1/2 just like the 1,2,3 QB sweep last year. So that would be the Lions finishing badly and still missing a top QB.   :classic_sad:

So I hope we see growth from all of our young talent to the point that we are picking outside of the top 10 next year. That said, if Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Anthony Richardson, Will Levis, Grayson McCall, whomever ends up being a can't miss QB prospect, I'm willing to do what it takes to move up and get one of those QBs. I know, we had Stafford on this roster and I spent years complaining about a guy who I didn't believe could get it done, only to watch him go and get it done the year after he leaves our franchise. The appeal of having a top young QB prospect on our team, under a rookie contract, with a quickly developing roster of other talented, young players, is something I'd love to see. If Stroud, Young, Levis, whoever is the real deal, I'm willing to package 2-3 1st rounders to go up and get them given how important having a good QB is in the NFL.

When I look at that Bears roster, I have a feeling the Lions aren't going to be finishing last in the division. It's pretty bare around Fields and they drafted defensive guys with what picks they had. I would rather throw Fields on the Lions roster that projects to have a good OL, receivers, TE and solid run game. 

I wouldn't rule out a veteran. Lamar Jackson is in the last year of his contract. He seems upset the Ravens traded away his receiver. The Ravens likely franchise him but he could be a trade candidate. I'm not a fan of QBs like Jackson long term, but he could be someone to watch. 

22 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If the Lions are picking 4th, it likely means the young players underperformed or were injured. I would rather see the young player perform well and they win. They really have a nice foundation on offense. They have draft capital to trade if they have to. 

Yeah personally Id rather win and have the young guys show growth and promise but if we do underperform it would be nice to walk away with a CJ Stroud instead of a Jeff Okudah or even a Hutchinson. 

Right now it does appear that we may be copying the Denver blueprint. They got playmakers on both sides of the ball so they had moderate success even without a qb but the veteran qbs took notice of that and zeroed in on playing there.

If we go say 8-9 or 9-8 next year with only average play from Goff perhaps a good veteran will zero in on us to want to play for. 

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

When I look at that Bears roster, I have a feeling the Lions aren't going to be finishing last in the division. It's pretty bare around Fields and they drafted defensive guys with what picks they had. I would rather throw Fields on the Lions roster that projects to have a good OL, receivers, TE and solid run game. 

I wouldn't rule out a veteran. Lamar Jackson is in the last year of his contract. He seems upset the Ravens traded away his receiver. The Ravens likely franchise him but he could be a trade candidate. I'm not a fan of QBs like Jackson long term, but he could be someone to watch. 

the bears should finish last in the division unless fields really tears it up.

kyler murray could be another trade candidate.

Feels like a lot of things would have to go wrong for the Lions to end up picking fourth. The offense should be better. But the defense still has a lot of question marks on the back end. I figure they’ll end up picking around 8 next year then turn the corner in 2023. 

Let's split the difference and say the Lions end up with 7-8 wins next year, not bad enough to draft in the top 10 and not good enough to have taken a big leap forward and be a playoff team. As a result of that they will be drafting #14 overall (Ravens won 8 games this season and ended up at #14) and they have decided to move on from Goff. Let's also say the Rams have another super successful season but don't win the Super Bowl and their pick ends up in the #29 overall.

Does a trade that involves a mid 1st round pick at #14 pick, a late 1st at #29 pick, and a future Lions 1st in 2024 get it done to either move up in the 1st round to get Stroud/Young or to get one of Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray?

33 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wouldn't trade 3 1sts for Lamar Jackson. I was thinking something like Goff and a 1st for Jackson. Not sure about Kyler Murray but I don't either are worth more than what the Rams traded for Stafford. 

you wont get either of those guys for goff and a first.  it will take a deshaun watson type offer.  maybe not that much, but you can start the bidding at three number ones.

Just now, buddha said:

you wont get either of those guys for goff and a first.  it will take a deshaun watson type offer.  maybe not that much, but you can start the bidding at three number ones.

Then I'll pass. I don't see how either of them are worth more than Stafford. A Stafford style trade would be the most I would do. I'm not really even that big of a fan of either them to be honest.