NFL Draft Night - As It Happens.

Not sure if mentioned yet but as we know the Lions and Jets were the two teams to make an offer for Samuel, while I haven't seen anything online about what the Lions offer was the Jets supposedly offered the 10th overall pick and a 5th rounder for Samuel AND the 49ers 2nd.  49ers GM John Lynch said both offers weren't "even in the same ballpark" of what they would be looking for if they were to trade him. 

13 hours ago, sagnam said:

Jets reportedly made an insultingly low offer for Deebo Samuel

Says the Lions offer was “light”. 32 and 34?

Matt Barrows of TheAthletic.com reported on Friday that the Jets offered the 10th overall pick and a fifth-rounder for Samuel, with a catch. The Jets also wanted a second-round pick from the 49ers.”

I took a stab at the offer

I think this is going to be the draft that defines Holmes career. He had the choice of the two top pass rushers, did he choose the right one? Jameson Williams is the first big piece of the Stafford trade. Was it the right move? This is the draft where Holmes needs to lay down the foundation. 

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think this is going to be the draft that defines Holmes career. He had the choice of the two top pass rushers, did he choose the right one? Jameson Williams is the first big piece of the Stafford trade. Was it the right move? This is the draft where Holmes needs to lay down the foundation. 

Absolutely.  Hutch vs KT will be an interesting to follow through the next 5 years.   Jamo needs to be good.   He doesn’t have to be Chase or Jefferson good but he can’t be Reagor or god forbid Ruggs. 

If you want to put any stock into some of the pre draft concerns about Thibs caring more about his "brand" than football and all the similar knocks on him then you can't jump to any conclusions if he comes out of the gates looking better than Hutch like I'm sure many people will.  

I for one wasn't necessarily scared of those concerns or put much stock into them but if they turn out to be legit concerns you won't find out in the first half of or even full season he plays, you'll see them more down the road after he has had some success and started to make a name for himself in the NFL.  So just something to keep in mind before you blast Holmes and Co. for passing on him if he does indeed put up a better start than Hutchinson. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If you want to put any stock into some of the pre draft concerns about Thibs caring more about his "brand" than football and all the similar knocks on him then you can't jump to any conclusions if he comes out of the gates looking better than Hutch like I'm sure many people will.  

I for one wasn't necessarily scared of those concerns or put much stock into them but if they turn out to be legit concerns you won't find out in the first half of or even full season he plays, you'll see them more down the road after he has had some success and started to make a name for himself in the NFL.  So just something to keep in mind before you blast Holmes and Co. for passing on him if he does indeed put up a better start than Hutchinson. 

I will say, if those concerns have any merit, being drafted by New York is the worst thing that could have happened to him. That media market will chew him up and spit him out before he plays a single snap if he’s not careful.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I will say, if those concerns have any merit, being drafted by New York is the worst thing that could have happened to him. That media market will chew him up and spit him out before he plays a single snap if he’s not careful.

"Thib-oh-NO!  first round bust comes up small on the field, while partying all night"

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The lack of early help at the linebacker position is what (perhaps unfairly) keeps me from an A+. Our linebackers have been the laughing stock of the NFL for so, so long. It seemed as if there were options at the Paschal pick even outside of Dean (Anderson, Muma, Asamoah, Harris) that may have been able to make both a more immediate and a more long-standing impact. Of course I hope Paschal proves me wrong.

I do think it’s important that the defensive line and pass rush shows serious promise this year. A lot of resources have been poured into that unit.

Holmes seems to believe that LB has low positional value. Teams rarely line up in a pure 4-3 anymore, where you need your old school Mike/Sam/Will alignment. 

He also clearly allocates top picks to physical and athletic freaks. Yes, you can get your Amon Ra slot receiver in the middle rounds, but you cannot get a game breaker like Jameson Williams there. And you cannot get someone strong and athletic like Paschal late either. 

Holmes’s past two drafts are the first time I can recall that the Lions have had an identifiable strategy for player acquisition. Before it was always just a crap shoot. Now it seems clear that Holmes seeks positional value, rare physical attributes, athleticism, and character. 

the lions may not value the lb position that highly anymore, but they still need some.  they lost their best lb from last year in jrm, and that's not saying a ton.

hopefully brooks takes some big steps this year or they sign someone, cause what they have is not very good.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

the lions may not value the lb position that highly anymore, but they still need some.  they lost their best lb from last year in jrm, and that's not saying a ton.

hopefully brooks takes some big steps this year or they sign someone, cause what they have is not very good.

I agree. You can’t hide deficiencies in the NFL. Even if our front four and an edge rusher or two turn out to be decent, and even if Glenn and Pleasant can turn our DBs into a league average group, most NFL QBs will be able to simply bully us in the middle of the field, just by having their slot receiver run a slant. Anzalone should not be starting in the NFL.

40 minutes ago, kdog said:

Holmes will be defined by the starting quarterback he has on the roster when the team is purportedly ready to compete.

If he does everything else really well (as he seems to be thus far), and whiffs on his first QB, I would give him more than one chance to find the franchise QB. That’s not an easy task.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree. You can’t hide deficiencies in the NFL. Even if our front four and an edge rusher or two turn out to be decent, and even if Glenn and Pleasant can turn our DBs into a league average group, most NFL QBs will be able to simply bully us in the middle of the field, just by having their slot receiver run a slant. Anzalone should not be starting in the NFL.

here's the thing about glenn.  he seema like a great hire and a great dc....but he's gone after next year.  if he sticks around for two more years it will be a miracle or the lions really sucked next year.

he's on the short list for head coaching jobs.

Edited by buddha