5/11 7:10 A's @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Scott Coolbaugh, your flight is boarding …

Someone needs to walk the plank here.  It isn't his fault, these guys can hit better than they have been, and he can't swing the bat for them.  But Hinch and Avila need to appear to be doing something, or else they will be volunteering instead.

It's frustrating as hell but short of making small moves like calling up Clemens I really don't know what we can do. Yeah we could fire Avila but that isn't going to fix the team right now. Aside from Skubal any of our potential trade assets we'd be selling low so we can't do that, really it seems all we can do is just ride it out and hope that the guys start hitting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kdog said:

The Tigers main outfielders have 2 total homeruns.

It is staggering that we are 31 games in and Grossman/Meadows are both at zero homers. That's a system failure.

Yep, Meadows seems to have hit his fair share of long fly balls that would've been HRs under the old ball which makes me wonder if the Rays realized that a bunch of his HRs were aided by the rabbit ball and wouldn't translate to the new ball. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep, Meadows seems to have hit his fair share of long fly balls that would've been HRs under the old ball which makes me wonder if the Rays realized that a bunch of his HRs were aided by the rabbit ball and wouldn't translate to the new ball. 

If this were true, there would have to be others for which this is the case as well one would think

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Team came in here on a 9-game losing streak and just beat us 4 out of 5 in our own house and the only one we won was the "road" game.    It's all broken.   

They've won 3 our of 4 so far, although I wouldn't blame anyone for assuming they'll win tomorrow

Either way, not meeting expectations at all

12 minutes ago, kdog said:

The Tigers main outfielders have 2 total homeruns.

It is staggering that we are 31 games in and Grossman/Meadows are both at zero homers. That's a system failure.

if we are counting, they have only 1. Baddoo hit one.

(Haase homered opening day pinch hitting for Barnhart)

so there is no current OF on the team that has homered this year

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Illitch Concern promised to develop District Detroit as a multi-purpose development and have not lived up to their word.     God is angry.  

I'm beginning to think that Chris is, indeed, what the kids call "a douchebag"...

Listening to the Hinch postgame conversation is brutal. He doesn’t have a clue. It’s the same old “ we gotta find a way to….” Nothing of substance, no real solutions other than just keep hoping. And we know what they say about hoping.

11 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Listening to the Hinch postgame conversation is brutal. He doesn’t have a clue. It’s the same old “ we gotta find a way to….” Nothing of substance, no real solutions other than just keep hoping. And we know what they say about hoping.

I mean, to an extent, this situation isn't very explainable. I know that the fanbase wants Coolbaugh or Avila or (even in some cases) Hinch's head on a pike right now, but even if they aren't as good as the high expectations they set, they still should be somewhere in the 70-75 win range because of the track record of the guys they have. And they aren't even playing to that level.

So I get what he's saying.... setting aside Avila, who almost everyone seems to want fired, it's easy to look at Coolbaugh and pin it on him. But at some point, when you have guys with track records, they have to stand on their own merit and they need to get it turned around. And the guys who are struggling to have success bear most of the responsibility  for the lack of their success. So, maybe you can make some marginal moves (bringing up Clemens, sending down Tork, etc.), but there isn't a lot of choice but to wait it out with some of these veteran players.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, to an extent, this situation isn't very explainable. I know that the fanbase wants Coolbaugh or Avila or (even in some cases) Hinch's head on a pike right now, but even if they aren't as good as the high expectations they set, they still should be somewhere in the 70-75 win range because of the track record of the guys they have. And they aren't even playing to that level.

So I get what he's saying.... setting aside Avila, who almost everyone seems to want fired, it's easy to look at Coolbaugh and pin it on him. But at some point, when you have guys with track records, they have to stand on their own merit and they need to get it turned around. And the guys who are struggling to have success bear most of the responsibility  for the lack of their success. So, maybe you can make some marginal moves (bringing up Clemens, sending down Tork, etc.), but there isn't a lot of choice but to wait it out with some of these veteran players.

All I can say is that every ex-player who looks at a slumping team will always say - "they are pressing and you can't play when you are pressing".   As counter intuitive as it may seem the most important thing Hinch can do as a manager is find a way to get the guys to take it less seriously. You see a sullen bench right now and that needs to be Hinch's job 1. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

All I can say is that every ex-player who looks at a slumping team will always say - "they are pressing and you can't play when you are pressing".   As counter intuitive as it may seem the most important thing Hinch can do as a manager is find a way to get the guys to take it less seriously. You see a sullen bench right now and that needs to be Hinch's job 1. 

So you're saying a rainout and a visit to a movie theater might be better than firing Scott Coolbaugh and elevating Lloyd McClendon to hitting coach? lol

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

If this were true, there would have to be others for which this is the case as well one would think

I think the league wide numbers show it's true for a large majority of players.

Did they use these balls during ST, and did teams know ahead of time that MLB was going to use the deadened ball?