5/22 1:40 Tigers @ Guadians

Tigeraholic1

#Tigers have recalled RHP Elvin Rodriguez from Triple A Toledo, who is scheduled to start tomorrow in Minnesota. 

Additionally, LHP Eduardo Rodriguez has been placed on the 15-day IL (retroactive to May 19) with a left ribcage sprain.

23 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH

Forecast

RHP Alex Faedo vs RHP Shane Bieber

In 1973, Detroit Tigers pitcher Jim Perry started against the Indians in Cleveland. Except that Cleveland's starter was his brother, Gaylord Perry. This was the first time in American League history that brothers started against each. 

EVPxRSmUMAASvyu.png

The only other time was the epic battle between the Underwood brothers.  That is a game I'll never forget.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR197905310.shtml

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The only other time was the epic battle between the Underwood brothers.  That is a game I'll never forget.

That's a fun box score.  NBA player Danny Ainge is in there.  The Underwood brothers started and accounted for 52 of the 54 outs recorded in the game and had game scores of 80 and 75.  The game was played in a crisp 112 minutes.

They need to call up Kody Clemens.    They need a spark and maybe it won't be him, but they need to give him a shot.  He can play RF-LF-2B-3B-1B.     But they probably can't afford to send any of their 14 pitchers down since they'll likely have to use "openers" in TWO slots now.     What a mess.   

Frankly, if Schoop doesn't start showing something consistently, just cut your losses and give the rookie a shot.   Even though Schoop has gotten some hits here and there, he's hitting .205 in the last 10 games and that has raised his average to .157.   How much longer do we sink with him.   Even if Kody is not an answer, we're better off with The Castros at 2b.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I'd rather see Schoop's strong defense at second over any of the alternatives.  Their offense is terrible and the pitching is shot, but having strong defense up the middle at least gives their pitching staff a chance. 

Schoop is also hitting the ball harder than most people in the lineup. And his BABIP is awful in a way that one imagines is unsustainable.

His numbers aren't great, but he's shown enough life over the past few weeks where he's off my list... Robbie Grossman on the other hand...

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I'd rather see Schoop's strong defense at second over any of the alternatives.  Their offense is terrible and the pitching is shot, but having strong defense up the middle at least gives their pitching staff a chance. 

Agree with you and MTU on Schoop,If I called up Clemens I'd give him maybe of 1/4 of the ABs Candelario is getting, 1/2 the ABs Harold is getting, and all of ABs Willi Castro is getting...:classic_biggrin:

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Progressive Field - Cleveland, OH

Forecast

RHP Alex Faedo vs RHP Shane Bieber

In 1973, Detroit Tigers pitcher Jim Perry started against the Indians in Cleveland. Except that Cleveland's starter was his brother, Gaylord Perry. This was the first time in American League history that brothers started against each. 

EVPxRSmUMAASvyu.png

And then later in the 70's (or maybe '80's) the Underwood Brothers faced each other in Toronto.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They need to call up Kody Clemens.    They need a spark and maybe it won't be him, but they need to give him a shot.  He can play RF-LF-2B-3B-1B.     But they probably can't afford to send any of their 14 pitchers down since they'll likely have to use "openers" in TWO slots now.     What a mess.   

Frankly, if Schoop doesn't start showing something consistently, just cut your losses and give the rookie a shot.   Even though Schoop has gotten some hits here and there, he's hitting .205 in the last 10 games and that has raised his average to .157.   How much longer do we sink with him.   Even if Kody is not an answer, we're better off with The Castros at 2b.  

I agree. We can't wait until mid-June every season to see if Schoop is going to hit or not. Keep him around for insurance but take offers at the trade deadline. If Al was any good, he would trade him for Mike Trout. 🤣🤣🤣

No update from Tigers on Austin Meadows (vertigo), who remains at home in Florida and won't rejoin the team on this trip.

"We're very concerned with what's going on with Austin," A.J. Hinch said.

Baddoo on the toledo IL with an oblique injury.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I love that expansion era Blue Jays lineup, the local press used to really pump those guys up...Bob Bailor, Alvis Woods etc.  It didn't take Pat Gillick much longer to put together a perennial contender though.

22 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I love that expansion era Blue Jays lineup, the local press used to really pump those guys up...Bob Bailor, Alvis Woods etc.  It didn't take Pat Gillick much longer to put together a perennial contender though.

Expansion teams usually annoy me for several years, but for some reason I accepted the Blue Jays pretty quickly.  I still don't like the Mariners.  

Edited by Tiger337