Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

On 9/6/2022 at 4:12 PM, RedRamage said:

I honestly don't understand this.  Boyle looked awful.  It's not that Blough was that much better, but he was better.  Why would you not try to get Blough back from the Vikings Practice Squad. I guess that assume that Blough wants to come back, but I think even the 3rd string QB on a bad team is preferable to practice squad on a semi-decent team, isn't it?

Edit to make clear: I'm NOT saying that I want Blough or that I think he would contribute towards Lions success.  I'm just just saying that I feel Boyle will contribute even less so if I had to pick between them I'm picking Blough.

Blough likely chose to play on the Vikings PS and Boyle knows the playbook so I'm sure there was a level in comfort in them having him on the PS. The reality is that Boyle only sees the field if BOTH Goff and Sudfeld go down so this is as inconsequential as it gets.

• Like 1

Just finished the last episode.  Damn man... that was very enjoyable watching hard knocks.  I seriously wish they had something like this all season long.  It was be so much fun to have a hour show each week between the games just showing some of the behind the scenes stuff. Mix in some of the highlights from the last game...  What would be pretty much must see TV for me.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Just finished the last episode.  Damn man... that was very enjoyable watching hard knocks.  I seriously wish they had something like this all season long.  It was be so much fun to have a hour show each week between the games just showing some of the behind the scenes stuff. Mix in some of the highlights from the last game...  What would be pretty much must see TV for me.

I used to be surprised the NFL hasn’t done more of this. Then I thought of all the footage that would be out there to incriminate players and coaches for this that and the other thing. 

9 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I used to be surprised the NFL hasn’t done more of this. Then I thought of all the footage that would be out there to incriminate players and coaches for this that and the other thing. 

they do an in season hard knocks.  its the cardinals this year.

12 hours ago, Jason_R said:

If you're talking about things that are against NFL rules, why wouldn't the NFL want that footage?  I mean I guess you could say they know rules are being broken and they're all okay with it (for example, baseball and steroids in the 90s).  

If you're talking about real illegal things... I would hope that the NFL would want evidence of that as well to get that out there.  Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're trying to say.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

The flip side is that I would think most really don't want to show the inner workings/ stratagems of their team.

I thought it was interesting how little Holmes and Campbell managed to reveal while simultaneously making it look like we were an open box. All the way down to the schedules on the powerpoint (on a player-run practice!) being blurred out. There was no training camp play, or strategy, or conversation that the Eagles or anyone could use to their advantage in preparing for week one. The public can watch Hutch dance and sing his heart out to Billie Jean, but the cards are extraordinarily close to the chest on anything resembling the processes behind a football decision.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The flip side is that I would think most really don't want to show the inner workings/ stratagems of their team.

There's probably truth there.  I don't think we really saw any secret intel on the Lions in the show, but of course there's probably hours and hours and hours of footage that exists that we never saw, and of course there were parts that were blurred.  A team may worry that if they are filmed each and every day that possibility of some of that film leaking out to the opposition would increase.

Now, if the team itself was in charge of the filming, editing, and distribution that might lessen the chance of operational secrets getting out but then each team would have to have a greatly expanded media division and it's questionable if the revenue from a one hour a week show for each of the 32 teams would merit that increased cost.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I thought it was interesting how little Holmes and Campbell managed to reveal while simultaneously making it look like we were an open box. All the way down to the schedules on the powerpoint (on a player-run practice!) being blurred out. There was no training camp play, or strategy, or conversation that the Eagles or anyone could use to their advantage in preparing for week one. The public can watch Hutch dance and sing his heart out to Billie Jean, but the cards are extraordinarily close to the chest on anything resembling the processes behind a football decision.

Agreed... and the stuff they did show was very interesting to me.  Showing a bit of the players themselves... some of the players families... how things like cuts down decisions are made... how Brad and Dan handled cutting players.  That was very entertaining to me.

On a side note: Does anyone not think that if (when?) Aaron Glenn gets a HC job that Duce Staley won't be gone in an instant as his OC?

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

If you're talking about things that are against NFL rules, why wouldn't the NFL want that footage?  I mean I guess you could say they know rules are being broken and they're all okay with it (for example, baseball and steroids in the 90s).  

If you're talking about real illegal things... I would hope that the NFL would want evidence of that as well to get that out there.  Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're trying to say.

NFL players say and do things in locker rooms that do not fit with the brand that the NFL owners are carefully cultivating.

I couldn't find the complete list but I saw on twitter that Hutchinson is in the top 10 right now in all of the NFL in jersey sales since the start of training camp. Allen, Brady, Herbert, Mac Jones and Russell Wilson were the top 5. Weird to see a Lion so high so not sure if Hard Knocks deserves credit for that or just the fact that he is a hometown kid. BTW the 2nd best selling Lions jersey currently is none other than Malcom Rodriguez. I definitely credit Hard Knocks for that! 

Yeah him and the Rams in general have looked terrible. Aside from the INTs he just doesn't appear to have the same zip on the ball and has held onto it too long a few times which led to sacks. As bad as the score is The Bills had two careless fumbles and a receiver drop a pass that landed right into a Ram defender for an INT so without those kinda flukish TOs this game would look even worse. Total domination by Buffalo.  

Bills turn it over 4 times and still win by 21 on the road against the defending champs. Either the Rams just aren't that good with an apparent injured Stafford or this Buffalo team is scary good. Of course weird things can happen on week 1 so perhaps it was just a fluke game but as of now this Bills team looks like they are going to be awfully tough to beat. 

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'd be perfectly okay if they put him on IR and announced he was getting Tommy John after the game. I love the dude, and wish him long-term personal success but..... a draft pick is a draft pick.

Stafford proved the haters wrong so I'm over the grieving process. It's time to focus on the Lions. More Rams loses are better for the Lions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'd be perfectly okay if they put him on IR and announced he was getting Tommy John after the game. I love the dude, and wish him long-term personal success but..... a draft pick is a draft pick.

Aside from a career ending injury I don't care what bad things happen to Stafford this year on the field, I wanted him to get his just due from folks and he got that and a ring so I'm done pulling for him. I want what's best for the team I root for and follow. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Bills turn it over 4 times and still win by 21 on the road against the defending champs. Either the Rams just aren't that good with an apparent injured Stafford or this Buffalo team is scary good. Of course weird things can happen on week 1 so perhaps it was just a fluke game but as of now this Bills team looks like they are going to be awfully tough to beat. 

I would say all of the above. The Rams objectively lost more talent than they brought in over the offseason, the Bills are going to be really good (especially on defense), and funky things happen on week one.