Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

On 8/26/2022 at 3:59 PM, RedRamage said:
  • 2022: Paschal - injured
  • 2021: Onwuzurike - Did start any games in 21 but played in 16. Now injured
  • 2020: Swift - Good player, but also had some injuries
  • 2019: Tavai - Bust, Only two years with the team, just 6 starts
  • 2018: Davis - Showed some promise, but never paned out. 3 years and off the team.
  • 2017: Tabor - Bust, two years and gone.
  • 2016: Robinson - Has some success, but never was a star player, 4 years with the team. Rams picked him up and he started 14 games for them last year in their super bowl drive. Probably worthy of a 2nd round pick for his career so far, but the Lions certainly didn't get 2nd round value for him.
  • 2015: Abdullah - Another promising player who was frequently injured and failed to accomplish much with the Lions.
  • 2014: Van Noy - A bust for the Lions but made a decent name for himself away from Detroit.
  • 2013: Slay - a bonafide good player, good value in 2nd round.
  • 2012: Broyles - Bust, played 21 games across 3 season before leaving the game
  • 2011: Young & Leshoure - Bust, and bust. Young played 26 games, Leshoure 17
  • 2010: The Lions did not draft a bust in the second round this year... 
  • 2009: Delmas - Delmas wasn't exactly a star player, but I believe he was decent. Played 5 seasons for detroit.
  • 2008: Dizon - Bust, 28 games over two season, zero starts.
  • 2007: Stanton, Alama-Francis, Alexander - Stanton was a backup QB drafted way too high. Alama-Francis had injury issues, Alexander also had injury issues.
  • 2006: Bullocks - Two seasons and he was out of the game.
  • 2005: Cody - Played 4 season for the Lions, but only started 11 games. Not much for a 2nd round pick.
  • 2004: Lehman - Decent first year, then injuries sidelined his career.  Stuck around for 4 season with the Lions.
  • 2003: Bailey - Decent enough player but I seem to remember he got injured frequently.  Stuck around for 4 years.

In the past two decades of drafting we had one star player come out of the second round.

Kerryon Johnson was the 2nd round pick in 2018, not Jarrad Davis. And low and behold, Kerryon was always hurt and a bust.

Also, seeing Jordan Dizon's name on the list brings back draft memories in my early 20's. I flipped the bleep out when Millen picked Dizon. I hated the fact that he had drafted an undersized LB with a 4th-5th round grade. Worse though, I really wanted the Lions to get Jamaal Charles out of Texas that year because we had such a need at RB and was so bummed we didn't get him. We took Kevin Smith instead. For all the times I've been wrong for buying into college hype (Aaron Curry, Connor Cook, Eric Rowe to name a few) Charles was a guy I thought would be a stud and turned out to be.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Back in the day I was a member of a forum called Lionstalk.com and I remember all of us celebrating when we got Boss Bailey and then doing the same thing the following year when we got Teddy Lehman. I can't fault Millen for those picks cause both were considered steals at the time but unfortunately they just didn't pan out. 

34 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, with a healthy Jared Goff this team could go 7-10.   Without Goff, probably 2-15 or so.     They need to pay attention to the releases this coming week.   Boyle & Blough just aren't very good.  

Lucky for us one of the top potential releases will be playing today in Mason Rudolph.

The defense has mostly looked okay. The last drive wasn't pretty, but otherwise they're holding them to field goals instead of touchdowns. The Jeff Okudah sighting was good to see.

The offense has looked awful, but I blame a lot of that on Boyle and Blough. When you know you're fighting for a job, and this is the best you can do, it's probably time to look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The defense has mostly looked okay. The last drive wasn't pretty, but otherwise they're holding them to field goals instead of touchdowns. The Jeff Okudah sighting was good to see.

The offense has looked awful, but I blame a lot of that on Boyle and Blough. When you know you're fighting for a job, and this is the best you can do, it's probably time to look elsewhere.

Starting OL has not looked good. 

33 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would take any of Mason Rudolph, Ian Book, or Blake Bortles over what we have. Mike Glennon and AJ McCarron are available as well, though they would be lower on my list. I don't think I would carry two backups, unless one is on the practice squad. If Goff goes down, it's very unlikely we compete for the playoffs anyway.

Personally, I think it’s possible but I realize it’s very not likely we compete for the playoffs even with a healthy Goff.       

If Goff goes down they will need to bring in another QB anyway to be the new backup.  Can’t hurt to start with two since you’ll be throwing someone into the fire during the season to figure out on the fly if they are capable.  

Edited by Hongbit

up: barnes, st brown (despite the drop), okudah, dline.

down: everyone else.

if goff gets hurt they may not win a game.  blough has played better, but he just doesnt have an nfl arm.  boyle has an nfl arm but sucks at qb.

on the bright side, derrick barnes has played well two games in a row against the other team's starters.  craig reynolds looked good against the reserves.

i suspect cephus and kennedy get cut.  will harris looks like a cut.  boyle gets cut.  igwebuike is a cut.  do you keep julian okwara if he's never healthy?  does levi go on the pup?  

i wonder if they'll pick anyone up who gets cut?  any dts out there?  we'll see.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would take any of Mason Rudolph, Ian Book, or Blake Bortles over what we have. Mike Glennon and AJ McCarron are available as well, though they would be lower on my list. I don't think I would carry two backups, unless one is on the practice squad. If Goff goes down, it's very unlikely we compete for the playoffs anyway.

i wouldnt take mason rudolf.  what for?  he sucks too.  all those guys suck.  mike glennon is unplayable.  blake bortles?  nope.

i mean, i get your point: out backups are terrible and not nfl quality qbs.  problem is, neither are those guys you mentioned.

sigh.  all that said, if i were the lions i would definitely be watching the waiver wire.  but i think they'll go with blough because they like his moxie.