Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Im skeptical they will be that good but I wouldn't rule it out either. Here's a question though if that were to happen would you still try to get a qb in the first round or stick with Goff?

If Goff performs close to what MB describes, you keep him and draft a CB with your first round pick. And maybe with your other first round pick. 

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

well, defensive tackle is really deep in next year's draft class!

Hopefully we can get one with our second round pick. It is concerning though that we've spent so much capital on the position between trading for Michael Brockers and drafting Levi and McNeil with 2nd and 3rd round picks and it still remains such a concern for this defense. What is the resource allocation required before this position finally flips from being a weakness.

I'm not ready to write Levi off yet, but starting off the season injured, after being hut last year and in college, is not what I'd call a good start.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Hopefully we can get one with our second round pick. It is concerning though that we've spent so much capital on the position between trading for Michael Brockers and drafting Levi and McNeil with 2nd and 3rd round picks and it still remains such a concern for this defense. What is the resource allocation required before this position finally flips from being a weakness.

I'm not ready to write Levi off yet, but starting off the season injured, after being hut last year and in college, is not what I'd call a good start.

i think its unlikely he amounts to anything.  players who cant stay healthy usually stay unhealthy.  ask deshawn hand.

but you never know.  i hope he pans out.  mcneill looks pretty good so far.  brockers is about to retire, imo.  he's on the snacks harrison path without the 6 really good games he gave us.

regardless, interior defensive line appears to be a big weakness for this team.  combine that with the weakness at linebacker and it spells trouble stopping the run.

i hope we get more "try hard" lions this year.  that's kind of their only hope on defense.

the offense should be pretty decent if goff holds up and doesnt turn into turtle goff like he was for half the season last year.

Levi’s injury concerns me because it’s his back. It’s not like a broken arm or leg that has a set “heal date”, back injuries can linger for decades among anyone, even people who aren’t playing a violent sport for a living.

Its not likely ever really going to be like it was five years ago, even if it gets to a place he’s comfortable pushing through. And at his position, every play is like another car wreck, doing more damage to his back.

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Levi’s injury concerns me because it’s his back. It’s not like a broken arm or leg that has a set “heal date”, back injuries can linger for decades among anyone, even people who aren’t playing a violent sport for a living.

Its not likely ever really going to be like it was five years ago, even if it gets to a place he’s comfortable pushing through. And at his position, every play is like another car wreck, doing more damage to his back.

I was trying to be optimistic about Levi and hoping for a return to health and form. But when you think about a back injury in the context you framed it, you are more often than not going to be correct. Back issues linger as a health problem for years for people and only through procedures or surgeries will they go away, and even then, that's no guarantee of being at full strength. If don't see Levi by week 8 or so, I think it's time to have some serious concern about him as a player.

If only he had been drafted in the third round or later, none of this would have happened. Failed second round picks are just another form of SOL I guess. 😕

I liked him so much pre draft that I said if the Lions traded down from 7 to the teens I wouldn't have been opposed to taking him there.

As far as why the Lions passed, I don't know if the Lions specifically passed due to his medicals but that was the narrative that came out why he dropped as far as he did in general. Can't remember the condition but there was some red flag that showed up that scared teams away, considering our clear need there and his ability I figured that would have to have been the reason why. He ended up grading out as one of the top rookies in the league last year so it could end up being a major miss by not just the Lions but every team in the league.

7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I was trying to be optimistic about Levi and hoping for a return to health and form. But when you think about a back injury in the context you framed it, you are more often than not going to be correct. Back issues linger as a health problem for years for people and only through procedures or surgeries will they go away, and even then, that's no guarantee of being at full strength. If don't see Levi by week 8 or so, I think it's time to have some serious concern about him as a player.

If only he had been drafted in the third round or later, none of this would have happened. Failed second round picks are just another form of SOL I guess. 😕

My mom has had back problems for nearly 30 years. Started with tweaking it helping someone move. Seven surgeries have provided only temporary relief. It’s only finally gotten tolerable in the last five years, when she retired because of the pain and was able to focus on full-time rehabilitation.

Back pain is no joke. Even the best doctors don’t know much when it comes down to it.

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

My mom has had back problems for nearly 30 years. Started with tweaking it helping someone move. Seven surgeries have provided only temporary relief. It’s only finally gotten tolerable in the last five years, when she retired because of the pain and was able to focus on full-time rehabilitation.

Back pain is no joke. Even the best doctors don’t know much when it comes down to it.

i see so many people get back injections and then spinal fusion surgery.  its incredible.  it never works but still they do it.

now, granted, when i see it its because theyre doing it for money, but it never seems to work regardless.

backs are no joke.

*as I knock on wood* thankfully even as Im hitting my 40s I still never experienced any real back or neck pain. Have had injuries just about everywhere else but thankfully not there so I can't relate to any back stuff but from everybody I know that has them I can tell they aren't fun and something I'm definitely thankful for. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

*as I knock on wood* thankfully even as Im hitting my 40s I still never experienced any real back or neck pain. Have had injuries just about everywhere else but thankfully not there so I can't relate to any back stuff but from everybody I know that has them I can tell they aren't fun and something I'm definitely thankful for. 

Keep your core strong. The terrible paradox of back trouble is that once you get to where it's too painful to do the needed physical strengthening, it's really hard to reverse a downward spiral.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 11:11 PM, buddha said:

curse of the second round!

• 2022: Paschal - injured
  • 2021: Onwuzurike - Did start any games in 21 but played in 16. Now injured
  • 2020: Swift - Good player, but also had some injuries
  • 2019: Tavai - Bust, Only two years with the team, just 6 starts
  • 2018: Davis - Showed some promise, but never paned out. 3 years and off the team.
  • 2017: Tabor - Bust, two years and gone.
  • 2016: Robinson - Has some success, but never was a star player, 4 years with the team. Rams picked him up and he started 14 games for them last year in their super bowl drive. Probably worthy of a 2nd round pick for his career so far, but the Lions certainly didn't get 2nd round value for him.
  • 2015: Abdullah - Another promising player who was frequently injured and failed to accomplish much with the Lions.
  • 2014: Van Noy - A bust for the Lions but made a decent name for himself away from Detroit.
  • 2013: Slay - a bonafide good player, good value in 2nd round.
  • 2012: Broyles - Bust, played 21 games across 3 season before leaving the game
  • 2011: Young & Leshoure - Bust, and bust. Young played 26 games, Leshoure 17
  • 2010: The Lions did not draft a bust in the second round this year... 
  • 2009: Delmas - Delmas wasn't exactly a star player, but I believe he was decent. Played 5 seasons for detroit.
  • 2008: Dizon - Bust, 28 games over two season, zero starts.
  • 2007: Stanton, Alama-Francis, Alexander - Stanton was a backup QB drafted way too high. Alama-Francis had injury issues, Alexander also had injury issues.
  • 2006: Bullocks - Two seasons and he was out of the game.
  • 2005: Cody - Played 4 season for the Lions, but only started 11 games. Not much for a 2nd round pick.
  • 2004: Lehman - Decent first year, then injuries sidelined his career.  Stuck around for 4 season with the Lions.
  • 2003: Bailey - Decent enough player but I seem to remember he got injured frequently.  Stuck around for 4 years.

In the past two decades of drafting we had one star player come out of the second round.