Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not going to make any judgements based on one game. That said, unimpressed by this defense so far in the game.

Defense's are usually behind O's early in the pre-C so I'm not going to rush to any judgement until I see them at least in the 3rd pre-C... And obviously, how they look in the regular season will be the more critical...

The defense is filled with either really young guys, injured guys (Okwara, 2nd rounders and lord knows when they'll see the field again) and washed up vets so it's going to be a year filled with some ups and lot of downs. Don't expect much from the defense and just hope that they're better to end the year than they will be to start.

I only watched the first quarter and don't know if Hutchinson played after that but I was disappointed he was almost exclusively in a three point stance.  If you watched him at Michigan last year, he was in a two point stance the majority of the time and that is when he made most of his plays.  Time will tell if this matters.  But it is my belief that Hutchinson is a better as a quasi rush linebacker and the Lions used him as more of a traditional defensive end the first quarter. 

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They spent a lot of capital on improving the interior of this defensive line by trading for Michael Brockers and drafting both Levi and Alim. The interior of this line just has to look better once the season starts and they have the chance to play together. They have to, right?

levi being constantly hurt and now paschal being hurt is killing them.  penisini retiring too.

teams ran all ovet them last year and this game didnt make anyone feel better about stopping that trend.

and the linebackers inability to hit the right gap or tackle also killed them.  on the first drive barnes has the rb dead to rights in the hole and misses the tackle.  boom, first down.

i'm not really advocating for roquan because he's too expensive, but he makes that play and the lions are off the field.  i like rodriguez, but he is really small and its highly unlikely a 6th round pick becomes a difference maker at lb.

3 hours ago, Hart said:

I only watched the first quarter and don't know if Hutchinson played after that but I was disappointed he was almost exclusively in a three point stance.  If you watched him at Michigan last year, he was in a two point stance the majority of the time and that is when he made most of his plays.  Time will tell if this matters.  But it is my belief that Hutchinson is a better as a quasi rush linebacker and the Lions used him as more of a traditional defensive end the first quarter. 

fair point, but it's preseason and he's not fighting for his job so could be they want him working on what he's least accomplished doing?

Edited by gehringer_2

If I'm the Lions The only thing keeping me from trading for Roquan is the fact that you want to have as much ammunition just in case you need to trade up for a qb.

If they truly believe in Goff and don't plan on drafting one this year then Id gladly give up the Rams pick for him and pay him.

Yeah he's going to want alot of money but I'm this day and age where teams seem to be circumventing the cap I really don't care , you're unlikely to draft a player out his quality with that pick and he's young enough where he can help you for many years to come.

Edited by RandyMarsh

I would wait until the trade deadline to assess the risk and reward of sacrificing assets for Roquan Smith, or any premier linebacker.

There is a lot of hype around the team right now, and I’m even on the train that believes the Lions could potentially make the playoffs this year…. but I want to see it materialize before I commit to being a buyer off a 3-13-1 season.

If we reach late October at 4-3 or so, have a timetable on JaMo’s return, and like our chances to compete for the North or a wildcard spot, but can tell the LB spot is holding us back? Go for it. On the other hand, if Goff goes down or injuries otherwise hamper us, or if Aaron Glenn isn’t able to work the magic many of us are hoping for with the DL and DBs, and we are clearly more than one guy away, then pass. Save the draft capital and use it to get your guy in the draft.

The starters played 8 snaps, both starting LB'ers didn't play at all, and it was the first game in the new defense. They are going to be bad, but they will be better than what we saw Friday night. I think they need to add a big body at DT to replace Penisini. A few individuals on this defense they are counting on worry me though.

Barnes still looks like Jarrod Davis 2.0. Missing tackles, overrunning plays and failing to recognize what is going on until it is too late.

Brockers is not helping at all. I do not believe i have seen him make a play since he got here.

Levi is having back problems, again. That is a bad sign since that is what was supposedly what held him back last year.

Edited by Stanley70
  • Like 1

The team should absolutely not trade for Roquan Smith. They need to save all of their draft assets for the possibility of trading up for a QB in one of the next two drafts. In the meantime they will have to hope to hold the lead late into some games and let Hutchinson ice a game or two with a strip sack, or churn out a few late first downs behind a punishing offensive line.