Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Dan Campbell and Aaron Glenn doing up downs with their own players on Hard Knocks. Can you imagine Matt Patricia doing up-downs at practice haha.

Patricia is the type of coach that would make you run laps till you're dead all the while barking orders while riding in the back of a golf cart and chugging on a big gulp.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Patricia is the type of coach that would make you run laps till you're dead all the while barking orders while riding in the back of a golf cart and chugging on a big gulp.

As much as Patricia was a failure, I don't think his weight was the reason.  I think the fact that Campbell is a former player who can still "mix it up" his he players definitely helps him relate better and helps the players bond with him.  But being able to work out with your players isn't the only way to bond and certainly not a requirement for success.  One need look no further than Andy Reid who's coached his teams to the conference championship 9 times, winning it 3 times and winning a SB once in his 23 years as a coach.  If Patricia did that with the Lions no one would care one bit that he was overweight.

14 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

As much as Patricia was a failure, I don't think his weight was the reason.  I think the fact that Campbell is a former player who can still "mix it up" his he players definitely helps him relate better and helps the players bond with him.  But being able to work out with your players isn't the only way to bond and certainly not a requirement for success.  One need look no further than Andy Reid who's coached his teams to the conference championship 9 times, winning it 3 times and winning a SB once in his 23 years as a coach.  If Patricia did that with the Lions no one would care one bit that he was overweight.

It's not the weight persay that players dislike. It's the fact that he sits high and mighty on his perch (or golf cart) and acts like a complete jackass towards his players. Furthermore, Patricia was rumored to have shown up late to team meetings. So you're demanding, screaming at your players to work harder and be better while not being better yourself.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It's not the weight persay that players dislike. It's the fact that he sits high and mighty on his perch (or golf cart) and acts like a complete jackass towards his players. Furthermore, Patricia was rumored to have shown up late to team meetings. So you're demanding, screaming at your players to work harder and be better while not being better yourself.

That part I can totally understand... I dunno, I know I'm picking nits here a bit.  I really like Campbell, but I wonder sometimes if we're falling too in love with a person that we just don't know enough about.  I can foresee a situation 3-4 years down the line where he get fired for never getting about 5 or 6 wins a season and the next guy we bring in is a big cerebral guy and comments start coming out like: "Yeah, Campbell was a great cheerleader and all and he sure bonded with the guys, but we don't need a coach who can do burpees with the team... we need a coach who can understand the game and out plan the other coach. I don't care how many reps he can get... I care how many wins he can get over the other coach."

the thing i like about campbell is that he took over the offense last year and it got better.   he also went for it a lot on 4th down and comes from a good coaching tree.

i was telling my wife last night that i hate feeling good about the lions because they always let me down.  the patricia era was easy because i knew they sucked and i hated quinntricia, but i like campbell and i like holmes so i want them to do well.

so it'll suck when they break my heart again.

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

the thing i like about campbell is that he took over the offense last year and it got better.   he also went for it a lot on 4th down and comes from a good coaching tree.

i was telling my wife last night that i hate feeling good about the lions because they always let me down.  the patricia era was easy because i knew they sucked and i hated quinntricia, but i like campbell and i like holmes so i want them to do well.

so it'll suck when they break my heart again.

You hit on one of the things that I’m interested to follow this season.   

Going for it on 4th down.  

He went for it a record amount of times last season.  I’m interested to see if this is his normal philosophy of if he was hyper aggressive because the team was out of contention early and it afforded him the opportunity to take risks.  Will they once again go on 4th down much more than anyone else in the league?

Fwiw, we discussed many of the decisions ad nauseum last year and I’m not looking to reignite the debate whether they were justified or not.  

Edited by Hongbit

I hope they keep going for it on 4th down as Im a huge propopnent of going for it and feel that teams just don't do it enough.

My philosophy is you get 4 downs so use them. If you playcall each drive with that mindset it opens up so many things for you do. On 3rd and 8 instead of having to throw to the sticks you can dump it off or even run a draw with the mindset of just picking up 4 or 5 yards and setting you up for a managable 4th down.

There are of course exceptions and scenarios where you don't but I think in the long run it is beneficial to teams to be aggressive and use all 4 downs. There's a reason why teams seem to score so much more easily late in halfs or games and its not just because of the prevent defense, it's because they go into the drive knowing they are using all 4 downs. 

54 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I hope they keep going for it on 4th down as Im a huge propopnent of going for it and feel that teams just don't do it enough.

My philosophy is you get 4 downs so use them. If you playcall each drive with that mindset it opens up so many things for you do. On 3rd and 8 instead of having to throw to the sticks you can dump it off or even run a draw with the mindset of just picking up 4 or 5 yards and setting you up for a managable 4th down.

There are of course exceptions and scenarios where you don't but I think in the long run it is beneficial to teams to be aggressive and use all 4 downs. There's a reason why teams seem to score so much more easily late in halfs or games and its not just because of the prevent defense, it's because they go into the drive knowing they are using all 4 downs. 

Depends on the situation. There are many times, if you're in FG range, that you have to take the points.

41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jameson Williams is going to wear Staff's old number 9, he supposedly called Stafford ahead and Matt gave him his approval. Its going to be a little weird seeing somebody else wearing that number, especially a WR. 

Not sure why he called a player on another team who demanded to be traded from the Lions asking permission to wear his old number.   

Dan Campbell is the coach I thought Patricia was going to be. He doesn't get enough credit for being a cerebral coach because of the kneecap biting and ra-ra stuff. He isn't aggressive on 4th down because he's reckless, he knows the data and knows his team. The defense isn't good enough to get stops consistently and the offense isn't a quick strike offense. He tailors the team around the opponent and their skill. The Pittsburgh game, he had a QB who couldn't throw 10 yards and a Steelers team with an awful run defense and he changed it up and ran it down their throats and damn near won. Patricia had a system and it was a throwback to the 90's ground and pound and big bodied defensive players. Campbell and Holmes don't have a scheme. They go and get athletes with strong character and build the scheme around them. It's why we don't have players like Tavai anymore. 

17 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Not sure why he called a player on another team who demanded to be traded from the Lions asking permission to wear his old number.   

Because Stafford is the best player the Lions have had in a long time at the biggest position in football? I mean other than Calvin Johnson's number, I suspect Stafford's would be the closest to be worth of retirement (not saying it should be retired, just that of all the numbers out there, you could make a stronger case for '9' than just about any other number with the Lions).

The fact that there are "Detroit Rams" shirts made prior to the super bowl kinda shows that Detroit still have a fondness for Stafford.  Williams didn't need to do this of course, but honestly I think it's a pretty classy thing to do if true and shows that Williams understands that off the field stuff is important too.

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Because Stafford is the best player the Lions have had in a long time at the biggest position in football? I mean other than Calvin Johnson's number, I suspect Stafford's would be the closest to be worth of retirement (not saying it should be retired, just that of all the numbers out there, you could make a stronger case for '9' than just about any other number with the Lions).

The fact that there are "Detroit Rams" shirts made prior to the super bowl kinda shows that Detroit still have a fondness for Stafford.  Williams didn't need to do this of course, but honestly I think it's a pretty classy thing to do if true and shows that Williams understands that off the field stuff is important too.

Makes sense if he had retired from football.  He didn’t.   One certainly can’t blame Stafford for his decision and it obviously worked out perfect for him but the facts are facts.  He grew tired of being in Detroit and didn’t want to be part of another rebuild.   

17 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Did I miss something?

Apparently.  How did you think it went down?  

I agree that he didn't have to but I do think it was a nice gesture and showed respect to a long time veteran. 

The situations aren't exactly similar but what if a guy we drafted in 2002 wanted to wear number 20? Would it be disrespectful for him to wear it without asking Barry first?  I know Barry didn't ask to be traded but he was no longer part of the team. 

It's probably semantics. Stafford requested a trade but said he would have played for the Lions if they didn't trade him. Demand is more forcing a trade or else you will hold out. 

Stafford demanding/requesting a trade is the best thing that could have happened to Holmes. The decision is out of his hands. If Stafford never requested a trade and Holmes traded him and he wins a Super Bowl, Holmes would be blamed. If he keeps him and they continue to miss the playoffs and Stafford gets old and loses value, Holmes would be blamed. It worked out great, the Stafford supporters can now mock and humiliate Rob Parker and still be thrilled with Holmes. 

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Makes sense if he had retired from football.  He didn’t.   One certainly can’t blame Stafford for his decision and it obviously worked out perfect for him but the facts are facts.  He grew tired of being in Detroit and didn’t want to be part of another rebuild.   

Apparently.  How did you think it went down?  

I am sure there were talks, but I also think the deal was just too good to turn down.  Even if Stafford did not want to be traded he would have been gone with that offer anyway.  I do not recall Stafford demanding anything, maybe he said he would be open to it or requested it, but those are different things IMO.  Maybe just a semantical discussion.

45 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I am sure there were talks, but I also think the deal was just too good to turn down.  Even if Stafford did not want to be traded he would have been gone with that offer anyway.  I do not recall Stafford demanding anything, maybe he said he would be open to it or requested it, but those are different things IMO.  Maybe just a semantical discussion.

Matthew Stafford went to ownership and asked the Lions to trade him. Sheila Ford acknowledged this and said she told perspective GM's that Stafford had asked to be traded. I guess you are going to get into a semantics battle between request and demand but the bottom line is Stafford told ownership he no longer wants to play for the Lions and would like to play for another team. 

• Thanks 1