Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

Stafford was looking at his 4th head coach and fifth (?) coordinator. You get to a point where you say really don't want to go through a possible rebuild again. I think family was involved as well, his wife had worn out her welcome with Lion fans.

That said, I think Williams' did right by paying respect to a former jersey wearer.

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Matthew Stafford went to ownership and asked the Lions to trade him. Sheila Ford acknowledged this and said she told perspective GM's that Stafford had asked to be traded. I guess you are going to get into a semantics battle between request and demand but the bottom line is Stafford told ownership he no longer wants to play for the Lions and would like to play for another team. 

You just said exactly what I just said...

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I agree that he didn't have to but I do think it was a nice gesture and showed respect to a long time veteran. 

The situations aren't exactly similar but what if a guy we drafted in 2002 wanted to wear number 20? Would it be disrespectful for him to wear it without asking Barry first?  I know Barry didn't ask to be traded but he was no longer part of the team. 

TBH - the Lions could have retired '20' for Lem Barney before Barry ever wore it but hadn't. So now it's 'retired' for Barry but can't be for Barney, which seems a little odd to me as a fan from back then. But I don't think numbers are that big a deal for most players anyway.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

You just said exactly what I just said...

Actually no.

"I am sure there were talks, but I also think the deal was just too good to turn down."

There wasn't "talks". This wasn't a choice made by the front office. Holmes was told before he accepted the job that Stafford would no longer be a part of the team. There was no lets see what offers are out there and we'll trade him if we get a good offer.

"Even if Stafford did not want to be traded he would have been gone with that offer anyway."

This is all just speculation. We have no idea if Holmes would have tried to build around Stafford or trade and rebuild. We have no idea if teams would have made offers. Stafford sought out a trade and he met with McVay prior to be traded to the Rams. Stafford basically sought out the trade to LA.

"I do not recall Stafford demanding anything, maybe he said he would be open to it or requested it, but those are different things IMO."

There was no ambiguity about it. He didn't say he was open to it. He told the Lions he did not want to play for them anymore.

"Maybe just a semantical discussion."

Yes it is and what I said was nothing like what you said.

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Actually no.

"I am sure there were talks, but I also think the deal was just too good to turn down."

There wasn't "talks". This wasn't a choice made by the front office. Holmes was told before he accepted the job that Stafford would no longer be a part of the team. There was no lets see what offers are out there and we'll trade him if we get a good offer.

"Even if Stafford did not want to be traded he would have been gone with that offer anyway."

This is all just speculation. We have no idea if Holmes would have tried to build around Stafford or trade and rebuild. We have no idea if teams would have made offers. Stafford sought out a trade and he met with McVay prior to be traded to the Rams. Stafford basically sought out the trade to LA.

"I do not recall Stafford demanding anything, maybe he said he would be open to it or requested it, but those are different things IMO."

There was no ambiguity about it. He didn't say he was open to it. He told the Lions he did not want to play for them anymore.

"Maybe just a semantical discussion."

Yes it is and what I said was nothing like what you said.

lol

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

didnt you say stafford was a lock for the hall?  even before the super bowl win?

I felt that even without Super Bowls the numbers of Ryan, Rivers, and Stafford would be enough to get them all in at some point.  The ring now makes it for sure for Stafford.

Edited by Hongbit

On 8/10/2022 at 5:19 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Dan Campbell is the coach I thought Patricia was going to be. He doesn't get enough credit for being a cerebral coach because of the kneecap biting and ra-ra stuff. He isn't aggressive on 4th down because he's reckless, he knows the data and knows his team. The defense isn't good enough to get stops consistently and the offense isn't a quick strike offense. He tailors the team around the opponent and their skill. The Pittsburgh game, he had a QB who couldn't throw 10 yards and a Steelers team with an awful run defense and he changed it up and ran it down their throats and damn near won. Patricia had a system and it was a throwback to the 90's ground and pound and big bodied defensive players. Campbell and Holmes don't have a scheme. They go and get athletes with strong character and build the scheme around them. It's why we don't have players like Tavai anymore. 

Dan Campbell is the coach I thought Mike Vrabel was going to be... and is.