Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

16 hours ago, buddha said:

i'd love to have roquan.  the team is desperate for playmakers and linebackers.  that said, he's going to be really expensive and im not sure that is the best use of their salary cap.

I agree.  I'd rather not see the Lions giving away draft capital at this stage of the rebuild. I think they're moving in the right direction, but I don't want to get the cart before the horse.

The salary cap isn't something that really concerns me to a very large degree when it comes to making moves. It's on the radar, but not very close to the center of my thought process. Maybe I'm naïve and it should concern me more (no one confused me for being an NFL GM), but it never seems to bother big spending teams. Every offseason you seem to hear about the Packers, Saints, and Rams being in some form of salary cap hell.... and then they go out and sign big name players and are immediately back in contention.

To be clear, I'm not advocating going the Jaguars route and spending money for the sake of spending money. I don't think the Lions should be 'at' the cap year-in and year-out just for the sake of being there. But if you feel that Roquan, or whoever, puts you in a position where you a legitimate contender - for the NFC North title and beyond - both now and into the future.... I wouldn't allow concern for the salary cap stop you from making that move.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would rather have an elite safety than linebacker. It seems like the strategy by Holmes is to build the defensive line and secondary. I'm not sure linebacker is high priority. 

Holmes seems to know that NFL teams pass 60% of the time and run 40% of the time. 

23 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The salary cap isn't something that really concerns me to a very large degree when it comes to making moves. It's on the radar, but not very close to the center of my thought process. Maybe I'm naïve and it should concern me more (no one confused me for being an NFL GM), but it never seems to bother big spending teams. Every offseason you seem to hear about the Packers, Saints, and Rams being in some form of salary cap hell.... and then they go out and sign big name players and are immediately back in contention.

To be clear, I'm not advocating going the Jaguars route and spending money for the sake of spending money. I don't think the Lions should be 'at' the cap year-in and year-out just for the sake of being there. But if you feel that Roquan, or whoever, puts you in a position where you a legitimate contender - for the NFC North title and beyond - both now and into the future.... I wouldn't allow concern for the salary cap stop you from making that move.

I'm not worried so much about the salary cap - You're right, other teams seem to figure it out every year - I'd kinda like to see where we are after this season in the rebuild before we give up draft picks, especially to a division rival.

I thought the second episode of HK was good. Not as fun to watch as the first with the novelty wearing off, but still good.

I think the bit in the linebackers room where the room gets chastised for a 6th round pick outperforming them says a lot about that room (more than anything Campbell or Holmes say publicly).

The bit at the end with Hank Fraley and his son was cute. Would have loved to have my dad be an NFL coach as a kid LOL.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I thought the second episode of HK was good. Not as fun to watch as the first with the novelty wearing off, but still good.

I think the bit in the linebackers room where the room gets chastised for a 6th round pick outperforming them says a lot about that room (more than anything Campbell or Holmes say publicly).

The bit at the end with Hank Fraley and his son was cute. Would have loved to have my dad be an NFL coach as a kid LOL.

Jarrad Davis is in that room. Oof. First rounder circling the NFL drain, getting outplayed by an undersized 6th rounder.

Birkett didn’t have very good things to say about the 1st joint practice with the Colts.   He spent most of the time watching the offense and he said they struggled badly.   Other reporters that focused on the defense said they were even worse.    Hopefully just a bad day.  

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

They always are.   POD is the anti-Monarrez.  Don’t get me wrong,  I like the positivity but it’s like they can’t believe the Lions gave them access to the beat and they don’t want to mess it up.  

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Birkett is always critical of the offense. Every year he wanted the Lions to draft a QB to replace Stafford. 

He’s got an opinion that he won’t back down even an inch and continues hammering the same point at every opportunity for years.  

I thought you of all people would have found that admirable.  

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

The Athletic basically said the same things as POD, the offense started slow and finished up making some plays.

They said the secondary was not good though.

they also said the lions defensive line did fairly well.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

My guess is the reality is somewhere in the middle.  I expect the Lions to be improved, but I think people who are expecting/hoping for a division win or even the playoffs are being unrealistic.  Obviously it could happen, but I just don't think it will.  I think 6 to 7 wins will be a solid improvement and what we should reasonable expect.

the colts are a good team.  the fact that certain parts of the team struggled against a good team is not unexpected.  i like that goff got better as the day went on.  i like any reports that the defensive line did well against a good oline.  i am not surprised that the secondary struggled because i dont think theyre very good.

and lets also remember: this is practice.  who knows who is going all out and who isnt.

41 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

My guess is the reality is somewhere in the middle.  I expect the Lions to be improved, but I think people who are expecting/hoping for a division win or even the playoffs are being unrealistic.  Obviously it could happen, but I just don't think it will.  I think 6 to 7 wins will be a solid improvement and what we should reasonable expect.

I agree this is about a 6 win team, but I do not think that will show improvement...unless they lose 2-3 games in the last second of the game again.