Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I may be drinking the Kool Aid but I think we found something in Rodriguez, he may never be an all pro or anything but I think he could have a solid career which for a 6th rounder is a giant win!

This is supposed to be Brad Holmes specialty right?  Finding late round gems?  He's certainly looked good on Hard Knocks and the coaches seem to love him, so here's hoping!

• Like 1

I’ve predicted 7-10 wins. I think I’m higher on the Lions than others for two reasons: (1) my valuation of last year, and (2) my valuation of the offense this year.

With respect to (1), the Lions had only two really bad losses last season- the Bengals and the Eagles. I’m not counting the Broncos because of the COVID backdrop to that game. Every other game they were reasonably competitive, even when they shouldn’t have been (see Rams). They beat a good Cardinals team soundly. They were in position to beat the Ravens, Vikings, Steelers, Browns, and Bears, had a few breaks gone their way. Even with just two of those games going their way, you’re talking about a 5 win team that got healthy and better in the offseason.

With respect to (2), offense is what wins games and championships in the NFL nowadays. I’m sure some will call me crazy, but with our offensive line and the addition of JaMo around the halfway point, I think our offense has the ability (if healthy) to be a top ten scoring offense in the NFL. I think there will be games this year where we plain outscored our opponents. It may not be pretty but it will get the job done.

I’m not saying that they’re going to compete for the NFC crown, but if this coaching staff is as good as we think they are, I don’t think being on the graphic come December is an unreasonable ask.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’ve predicted 7-10 wins. I think I’m higher on the Lions than others for two reasons: (1) my valuation of last year, and (2) my valuation of the offense this year.

With respect to (1), the Lions had only two really bad losses last season- the Bengals and the Eagles. I’m not counting the Broncos because of the COVID backdrop to that game. Every other game they were reasonably competitive, even when they shouldn’t have been (see Rams). They beat a good Cardinals team soundly. They were in position to beat the Ravens, Vikings, Steelers, Browns, and Bears, had a few breaks gone their way. Even with just two of those games going their way, you’re talking about a 5 win team that got healthy and better in the offseason.

With respect to (2), offense is what wins games and championships in the NFL nowadays. I’m sure some will call me crazy, but with our offensive line and the addition of JaMo around the halfway point, I think our offense has the ability (if healthy) to be a top ten scoring offense in the NFL. I think there will be games this year where we plain outscored our opponents. It may not be pretty but it will get the job done.

I’m not saying that they’re going to compete for the NFC crown, but if this coaching staff is as good as we think they are, I don’t think being on the graphic come December is an unreasonable ask.

I have a similar thought on the offense.  I think they will take a huge step up and be ranked just outside the top 10.  I’m flying blind with faith that Goff will rediscover himself and play at a much higher level.   I’m even trying to convince myself that he will play well enough to get signed to an extension and everyone will be cool and not freak out.    The schedule seems very favorable and I really hope they are still in the playoff mix in the latter weeks of the season.   7 or 8 wins is my number at the moment.  

My wish for Goff would be to sit in that 11 - 15 overall ranking.  Exactly in that Cousins, Carr, Prescott area.    Reynolds, Chark, St. Brown is a sneaky good WR core. Jamo will be a plus with whatever he can bring.    Swift should be a huge weapon and if they can get anything significant from Hock there’s a pretty loaded offense behind one of the better OL In football.  

Just a reminder:

His completion % was 69.5%, for 898 yards, 9 TDs, 2 INTs, and a 105.1 passer rating during that stretch. That rating was 4th during that stretch behind Rodgers, Mahomes and Burrow. Ben Johnson working the offense which also saw more involvement of St Brown, something that resembled a deep threat in Reynolds, and suddenly Goff looked more like 2018 Goff. 

From Nolan Bianchi and Justin Rogers of Det News (taken from the article above) . . .

Okudah had the roughest day amongst a cornerback group that got beat early and often. He made just one pass breakup and was burned for a handful of touchdowns and big gains. And it wasn’t just that he was getting beat — that happened to Amani Oruwariye plenty, as well, which we’ll get to in a second — but rather there was a concerning trend of Colts receivers easily getting separation and turning medium gains into long gains.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

From Nolan Bianchi and Justin Rogers of Det News (taken from the article above) . . .

Okudah had the roughest day amongst a cornerback group that got beat early and often. He made just one pass breakup and was burned for a handful of touchdowns and big gains. And it wasn’t just that he was getting beat — that happened to Amani Oruwariye plenty, as well, which we’ll get to in a second — but rather there was a concerning trend of Colts receivers easily getting separation and turning medium gains into long gains.

see above..

Today was supposedly much better for Okudah and the rest.

Okudah had an Achilles tear not even a year ago and this is an injury that usually takes more than one year for full recovery unlike an ACL tear (like what Williams has) which has a much quicker recovery period so I wouldn't expect him to be at full strength until next season if ever again, same with Okwara who I think is a write off this season. 

Personally, my expectations of Okudah went into the toilet the moment he got injured last season. For a guy who already had mobility issues, that injury was likely a death blow for him being an above average corner in this league. If he proves me wrong that would be great but I'm not expecting much.

I'm thinking that too. He's a likely cut candidate next offseason especially now that they have Hutch and Harris on the edge, not to mention Julian potentially emerging and Paschal perhaps being able to slide over at times whenever he returns, also Austin Bryant looks primed to make some noise now that he's FINALLY healthy. It's money that can be better spent elsewhere, like corner for instance.

Edited by NYLion

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

Okudah had an Achilles tear not even a year ago and this is an injury that usually takes more than one year for full recovery unlike an ACL tear (like what Williams has) which has a much quicker recovery period so I wouldn't expect him to be at full strength until next season if ever again

From what I've read recently, they have made good strides improving surgical technique with Achilles ruptures and the prognoses are better than they were even a short number of years ago. Of course, as noted, he hadn't proved he could play in the NFL before he ruptured it....

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

I'm thinking that too. He's a likely cut candidate next offseason especially now that they have Hutch and Harris on the edge, not to mention Julian potentially emerging and Paschal perhaps being able to slide over at times whenever he returns, also Austin Bryant looks primed to make some noise now that he's FINALLY healthy. It's money that can be better spent elsewhere, like corner for instance.

not sure how julian okwara is emerging.  he's spent most of his time injured this pre season.

44 minutes ago, buddha said:

not sure how julian okwara is emerging.  he's spent most of his time injured this pre season.

"Potentially" emerging. He showed flashes of some high end pass rush last season, 5 sacks in fairly limited action. He's pretty one dimensional but he has some pretty good pass rushing chops.