Hardknocks/Preseason Thread - Including OTAs

TP_Fan

22 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Whatever the justification, the starting OL played poorly tonight.  I don’t know whether to be concerned or not but we are all going to find out pretty darn soon.  

Eh, I thought they played better after the first series when Watt destroyed Sewell. Boyle was getting passes batted down and making poor decisions in general.

Nothing to take from this game from an offensive standpoint. The starting defense looked pretty solid, that's about it as far as my observations of this game. 

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

i wouldnt take mason rudolf.  what for?  he sucks too.  all those guys suck.  mike glennon is unplayable.  blake bortles?  nope.

i mean, i get your point: out backups are terrible and not nfl quality qbs.  problem is, neither are those guys you mentioned.

sigh.  all that said, if i were the lions i would definitely be watching the waiver wire.  but i think they'll go with blough because they like his moxie.

There is definitely not a perfect answer present. I think Boyle might as well have started packing his things when he threw that pick today. Blough is who they’ll keep if they keep one. It might be him to start and then they’ll see if there are any waiver wire surprises.

As a backup QB with a healthy starter, there is probably something to be said for your backup being able to know the offense and playbook, and be able to assist the OC and starter in running the offense. Blough has that over any replacement.

40 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Eh, I thought they played better after the first series when Watt destroyed Sewell. Boyle was getting passes batted down and making poor decisions in general.

Nothing to take from this game from an offensive standpoint. The starting defense looked pretty solid, that's about it as far as my observations of this game. 

Decker had 2 bad penalties.  Jackson had a bad holding penalty.   They were unable to get any push as a unit on the 4th and inches from their own 25 which was essentially MCDC challenging them to be tough.   

I was impressed with Okudah, Hutch, Harris, Walker and Barnes on defense.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Decker had 2 bad penalties.  Jackson had a bad holding penalty.   They were unable to get any push as a unit on the 4th and inches from their own 25 which was essentially MCDC challenging them to be tough.   

I was impressed with Okudah, Hutch, Harris, Walker and Barnes on defense.  

Fair, it was a subpar game for those guys, but I thought Sewell did quite well against Watt after that disastrous first series. Either way, hard to judge when you XFL QB's back there. As much as I think backup QB is inconsequential for a rebuilding team, there has to be an upgrade available somewhere on the waiver wire.

I was encouraged by Okudah and Barnes. I hadn't seen much of the previous 2 preseason games but they showed out well today albeit against Trubisky.

Edited by NYLion

Is playing on the left side really as important as it used to be? TJ Watt was lined up on the right side. I would rather have my best tackle on Watt vs playing the left side. I had a feeling Sewell would end up on the left side but if he dominates the right side, it might be best to just get a replacement for the left side when the time comes.

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I understand the reasoning to protect the blindside but that was also when defenses lined up their pass rusher on the left side as well. Teams are now playing their best pass rushers on the right side to avoid the better tackle so I'm not sure the left tackle is as important. 

But, but, but... Sandra Bullock said LT was the most important.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Is playing on the left side really as important as it used to be? TJ Watt was lined up on the right side. I would rather have my best tackle on Watt vs playing the left side. I had a feeling Sewell would end up on the left side but if he dominates the right side, it might be best to just get a replacement for the left side when the time comes.

Still better to have the best guy on a blindside. More chance for a turnover when teh QB doesn't see it coming. 

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which backup QB do we get to waiver wire pickup...?

Inquiring minds want to know... !

(I'm hoping someone like Minshew or Keenum shake loose...).

They don’t need a big name backup.  They need someone that if called upon has an outside shot of winning an NFL game.