The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

We keep getting told that we are overreacting to what the Christian Fundamentalists on the right and within the Republican Party want to do. Here is Fundamentalist Christian and Republican candidate for Michigan State Board of Education Linda Lee Tarver talking about teaching abstinence. Join me as we travel back to the 1950s. Gee Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I don't want to hijack the Ukraine thread to talk about the Democrats nominee for 2024, but one guy that should get some serious consideration if he wins the Pennsylvania Senate race is John Fetterman. Fetterman appeals to progressives and potentially white working class folks alike. He has charisma, energy, and doesn't look like your average politician. He looks like what you'd think an old union Democrat from the suburbs would look like. It remains to be seen how he does with voters of color, particularly black voters. It also remains to be seen if he can win. As of right now, all the polling shows Fetterman in a commanding lead in Pennsylvania's Democratic Senate Primary. I think Fetterman is one to watch for in 2024 if he can win this year in Pennsylvania.

09fetterman-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

On 5/10/2022 at 4:24 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't want to hijack the Ukraine thread to talk about the Democrats nominee for 2024, but one guy that should get some serious consideration if he wins the Pennsylvania Senate race is John Fetterman. Fetterman appeals to progressives and potentially white working class folks alike. He has charisma, energy, and doesn't look like your average politician. He looks like what you'd think an old union Democrat from the suburbs would look like. It remains to be seen how he does with voters of color, particularly black voters. It also remains to be seen if he can win. As of right now, all the polling shows Fetterman in a commanding lead in Pennsylvania's Democratic Senate Primary. I think Fetterman is one to watch for in 2024 if he can win this year in Pennsylvania.

09fetterman-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

The way he talks is a way I could see him pulling away Trump voters that aren't necessarily Republicans.  In short, blue collar union employees that have felt the Democratic party left them and regardless how crass Trump was, at least he spoke (at) to them.  He's one of the few democratic voices i've heard in the last year that really seems to be for that blue collar worker.  On top of that, imagine Oz trying to say he looks weak on a subject, GTFO.   The 'strong man' ideology that Trump has installed within his voters is going to peak interest in him come voting day.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

The way he talks is a way I could see him pulling away Trump voters that aren't necessarily Republicans.  In short, blue collar union employees that have felt the Democratic party left them and regardless how crass Trump was, at least he spoke (at) to them.  He's one of the few democratic voices i've heard in the last year that really seems to be for that blue collar worker.  On top of that, imagine Oz trying to say he looks weak on a subject, GTFO.   The 'strong man' ideology that Trump has installed within his voters is going to peak interest in him come voting day.

Yeah I watched some of that video.  Is that the guy that Oz would be competing against?  Oz looks like that 98 pound weakling in the Charles Atlas ads from 1962, compared to Fetterman.  He is the exact opposite of the macho candidate that the modern Republicans are trying to project, even though they are all mostly just loud and stupid and not particularly masculine.  I know that he puts his hands all over the women that appear on his show but it is in a sort of effeminate way, no one would ever "me too" him because, well "Dr. Oz?  Lol!"

Here's the Republican fantasy, I carry a lunch pail to work and somehow Dr. Oz "speaks to me".  LOLOLOL  

Oz is in the primary for Pennsylvania senate but I think the primary is not done yet so he's not yet the nominee.   On the Democratic side, Fetterman's main primary opponent is Conor Lamb of moderate Democrat fame.    

Fetterman catches some heat from the left regarding a gun-pulling incident in which I believe he pulled a gun on a young African American kid.  I dont know enough details and don't want to proliferate falsehoods but that's the main line of attack I see on Fetterman and I've seen Lamb doing it.  

Edited by pfife

I think any hope of a post Roe being struck down bounce for Democrats is beginning to look bleak if polling is any indicator.

Republicans are up +7 in generic congressional ballot from both CNN and Monmouth polls taken during or after the Roe news cycle hit. I think people care about gas prices and inflation and Democrats are going to pay the price. It won't matter how crazy the Republicans are nor if abortion is banned in America. As James Carville said: "It's the economy stupid!"

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad