The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

On 7/18/2022 at 10:57 AM, CMRivdogs said:

Looking forward to the 2023 debates between Trump and Pence. 

Yes, I know the guy from Florida is probably favored, but watch out for the failed former CEO from Virginia. 

Trump will give him a nickname and publicly ridicule him.  Pence will be too polite/scared to respond effectively.  

If Fetterman wins, people are going to chalk it up to Oz being a bad candidate, just watch.

But that really downplays the fact that Fetterman almost seems designed in a lab to be the ideal candidate to go up against a phony like Oz. And he has skillfully made him look like an idiot over and over again in ways that conventional candidates wouldn't or couldn't. And that's to his credit.

Edited by mtutiger

Fetterman is running a Republican campaign. The campaign isn't about policy. Typical Democrats feel they can win on policy and that doesn't win elections. Fetterman is doing what Republicans do and found one cultural issue and is bludgeoning Oz with being from New Jersey to the point where Oz is on the defense. Oz is in Philadelphia posing with cheesesteaks trying to be more Pennsylvania and looks ridiculous doing it. 

35 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Fetterman is running a Republican campaign. The campaign isn't about policy. Typical Democrats feel they can win on policy and that doesn't win elections. Fetterman is doing what Republicans do and found one cultural issue and is bludgeoning Oz with being from New Jersey to the point where Oz is on the defense. Oz is in Philadelphia posing with cheesesteaks trying to be more Pennsylvania and looks ridiculous doing it. 

Tim Ryan is doing the same thing in Ohio to San Francisco's own JD Vance. It remains to be seen if it will be effective in flipping any independent votes. It also remains to be seen if low turnout voters and younger progressives will bother showing up. Because even if Fetterman and Ryan flip independent voters with this strategy if our base voter doesn't turn out at a high enough rate it is all moot.

That said, I really like the effort Fetterman and Ryan are putting in. Democrats fight way too nice sometimes and this is the kind of attack strategy that, as you said, is normally employed by Republicans.

36 minutes ago, oblong said:

Would that be like a fake Detroiter going to Lafayette or American Coney Island?

real Detroiters go to Duly's.

It would be like running for Dearborn Mayor and posing with a burger from Miller's in West Dearborn and a shawarma plate from LaShish in East Dearborn. What Oz is doing is the most phony, disingenuous kind of pandering and he looks like a dope doing it. It's all moot though if base democratic voters in urban/suburban areas and progressives don't bother to turn out.

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It would be like running for Dearborn Mayor and posing with a burger from Miller's in West Dearborn and a shawarma plate from LaShish in East Dearborn. What Oz is doing is the most phony, disingenuous kind of pandering and he looks like a dope doing it. It's all moot though if base democratic voters in urban/suburban areas and progressives don't bother to turn out.

Hillary went to Miller's the weekend before the election.  I always bring that up when people say she took the state for granted.  I was meeting friends in Hamtramck and got caught up in the freeway closures.  

I haven't been to Miller's since 2002.  It's for sale.

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

I'm a little worried that Fetterman is beating Oz on Twitter and that might not translate but according to these jabronies he's looking pretty Ok on the polls currently too.   

image.thumb.png.6ce2beb94df4561bf2d3ab535305135b.png

His health a bigger challenge than Oz.

I think that's true Hong. 

There's part of me that thinks if he can recover strongly, win this race, demonstrate he's good to go.... he might be presidential material.   Am I thinking too aggresively about him here?   

I get big time working class hero vibes from him, which of course could be wrong.

Edited by pfife

Fetterman would be a terrific national candidate. The issue is do you want to risk losing a progressive senator from Pennsylvania? There's no guarantee a Democrat wins that seat much less a progressive. Fetterman has the look and feel of your typical Trumper. He's big, white, bald head, goatee, wears sloppy clothes and speaks off the cuff. Fetterman would have a lot more appeal in Michigan and Wisconsin than Newsome who some progressives are swooning over. 

On 7/21/2022 at 9:40 AM, pfife said:

I'm a little worried that Fetterman is beating Oz on Twitter and that might not translate but according to these jabronies he's looking pretty Ok on the polls currently too.   

image.thumb.png.6ce2beb94df4561bf2d3ab535305135b.png

The Fabrizio poll stands out, that's Trump's pollster.