The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

On 7/21/2022 at 9:45 AM, pfife said:

I think that's true Hong. 

There's part of me that thinks if he can recover strongly, win this race, demonstrate he's good to go.... he might be presidential material.   Am I thinking too aggresively about him here?   

I get big time working class hero vibes from him, which of course could be wrong.

A lot of time between then and now, but if he does win, it'll be interesting to see some of the underlying shifts against the 2020 Presidential Election, or how he does versus the Shapiro in the Governors race in 2022, to see if there's some underlying strength in working class areas of Pennsylvania. Places like Scranton or Johnstown or Erie.... if he makes some marginal improvements over Biden percentage wise. Or even just in rural counties more broadly.

I think he can win, perhaps is even favored at this point, but it's a question of whether he does it using the typical formula for Dems these days (ie. the suburbs) or if he can add in some numbers from other areas which have trended away from Ds. If he does, it looks like a model that Ds can run with going forward.

Like it or not, with the announcement that the Jan 6 Hearings are stretching into September, at the very least, they will now become a front-and-center issue for the midterms, with both sides trying their hardest to make hay off it. And I don't think Republicans are gonna have to work very hard putting the fear of god into their voters and convincing them to vote straight-ticket Republican in November, or else you—and I mean YOU, Mr. and Ms. Everyday Ordinary Red Hat living in BFE in some non-coastal state—are going to be next on the Marxist Democrat hit list.

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This. The fundamentalist seem to have a general world view that somehow the person being abused or the person raped is at fault.

Yes, and also, since it’s about controlling entire classes of people, they need to have a god-like figure placed at the head of them to ensure their compliance, and in that world women are taught to obey their men as they would the word of God.

I'm not sure if I like the Dem strategy of promoting he most MAGA candidate in a solid red district primary. Especially if he's challenging one of the few Republicans who won't promote Trump's Big Lie.  I still fall under the doctrine of the enemy of my enemy. 

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm not sure if I like the Dem strategy of promoting he most MAGA candidate in a solid red district primary. Especially if he's challenging one of the few Republicans who won't promote Trump's Big Lie.  I still fall under the doctrine of the enemy of my enemy. 

The Grand Rapids district where Peter Meijer represents is Biden +9. Kent County is trending heavily blue. Hillary Scholten, the Democratic candidate for the seat, will likely win whether it is Peter Meijer or Josh Gibbs (the MAGA candidate). That said, I don't like the strategy either because it's sort of how we ended up with Trump as a candidate and as President ultimately.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

It started out good.  The problem is it makes the doctor seem like a dick along with Abbott.  

It definitely does not reflect any reasonable reality, but curious as to why you think making the doctor look like a dick is a problem?

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Probably. Maybe they wanted to highlight the idea that numerous doctors are simpatico with a full abortion ban. I don't know how true or not that is.

Maybe down in Texas, but I still think that angle is a bit off.  Abbott is running, not the doctors.  

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The Biden administration on Tuesday said it will sell an additional 20 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve as part of a previous plan to tap the facility to calm oil prices boosted by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and as demand recovers from the pandemic.

This is ridiculously stupid politics. We don’t have a shortage and pump prices are in decline. 

Edited by 1776

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The Biden administration on Tuesday said it will sell an additional 20 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve as part of a previous plan to tap the facility to calm oil prices boosted by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and as demand recovers from the pandemic.

This is ridiculously stupid politics. We don’t have a shortage and pump prices are in decline. 

Could you inform my Trumper relatives who are still complaining that gas prices are much higher than they were in 1977

14 minutes ago, 1776 said:

It's BRILLIANT politics.

If we're making a MAJOR move to EV's and other major limitations in the need for oil and gas in our energy supply... why do we even need a Strategic Reserve?

Biden is doing EXACTLY what he SHOULD be doing with the Reserve. Using it. To protect Americans from International shenanigans.

And if you read everything on the matter, you'll see that they've already placed purchase orders on oil futures (after 2023, when we will hopefully be done with Russia's stupid play) for 60 million barrels. Making your comments moot.

BRILLIANT move by Biden & his administration!!!!