The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

58 minutes ago, buddha said:

joe biden won jersey by 16 points.  almost losing it two years later should be worrying for democrats.

Assuming Jersey widens out to be around 4 points when the final votes are cast, you are looking at roughly the same gap between Biden's performance and national approval in both NJ and VA.

I dont think there's much that isn't concerning about what happened on Tuesday. I just think it's largely a reflection of what the national polling average has been telling us for the past few weeks now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It's sad when you're supposed to be a great negotiator and deal maker and you shit the bed and got nothing done. Good thing there is a lot of cleanup money in this bill, because there is a lot of shit to clean up.

Biden vs. Trump On Infrastructure Week.png

Who knows whats in the "human infrastructure" bill. The entire thing is a joke.  What budget does $450K payments to illegals come from?

44 minutes ago, Archie said:

Who knows whats in the "human infrastructure" bill. The entire thing is a joke.  What budget does $450K payments to illegals come from?

Speaking of jokes, I've got a good one for you, stop me if you've heard this one before.

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: Because the road got repaved with Joe Biden's infrastructure bill.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

But what about New Jersey?

Yeah… I had no idea that happened. Thanks for sharing this 

Amd all the fuss overNJ’s supposed debacle is ridiculous. This state usually always throws out the Democrat after one term, so regardless of what talking heads said before the election, I knew it’d be close

5 hours ago, Archie said:

The trump wall budget that wasn't stolen and pardoned- you know the other $ he couldn't get thru congress b/c he sucks at presidenting but you come here and defend him anyways.  You know, that $

Edited by pfife

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It blows my mind after Republicans have led an insurrection on the capitol and are rolling back rights and suppressing votes in other states that Democrats are not excited enough to vote. 

You watch and/or read about the news every day and night more than likely. Whether it is local news, Freep/Det News, MSNBC, CNN, NYT, WaPo, social media or a progressive leaning source like The Intercept, Salon, Daily Kos, New Republic, Pod Save America, etc. Tens-of-millions of people and Democrats voted for Joe Biden and don't pay attention to the everyday details and news cycles like you and I do. There are lots of assumptions you have to make and questions you have to ask about those voters.

Do they watch the news? How often do they watch the news? Where do they get their news sources from? Do they even know the insurrection even occurred in the first place? Do they know what an insurrection is? If they do know what an insurrection is, do they know or see it as a bad thing? Do they think insurrectionists were just rowdy protestors who got a little out of hand or do they think it was something more serious? Do they understand what a coup de'tat is and how close we could have been to one? Are they aware of terminologies like democracy, republic, authoritarian, etc.

When the average person is out there just trying to live their life, take care of their family, go to work, feed and cloth their family, battle with Covid, and so forth, the news is only a very small, if at all, part of their day. You, me, Fife, Oblong, Gehringer, Chas, SMR, 84 Lives we all sit around debating politics on a message board. We all watch and read the news and are up-to-date on all the issues of the day. big and small. The average person is not and thus, a reason they may not take the insurrection as seriously as the rest of us do.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The traditional 'conservative' interpretation is that unless there is a direct violation of US law, the state courts are the ultimate arbiters of state law (and thus also whatever restrictions a state's Constitution places on its own legislature), so another chance to observe if this court is actually conservative or just as blatantly political as it stands accused.

Interview with a Trump endorsed candidate for Congress from Tennessee. Audio is included in the link....

Leahy: It’s that time of day again, not for “News Potpourri.” We have a candidate for the 5th Congressional District in our studio, and we’re going to play a different game called “Taking the Fifth.”

All right. You’re a good sport here to play the game. Morgan Ortagus is here. We have candidates come in and we ask them their knowledge of the 5th Congressional District. Are you ready?

Ortagus: Yes.

Leahy: Here we go. What three interstate highways are located in the 5th Congressional District?

Ortagus: I’m a terrible driver. (Laughs) I don’t know that. I don’t drive anywhere that I go.

Leahy: Okay. It’s I-65, I-40, and I-24.

A country music superstar, a famous, multi-Grammy-Award-winning performer, has a popular winery in the center of the 5th district in Arrington, Tennessee.

Ortagus: I have been to that winery. It’s great – I love that winery. I bought some wine.

Leahy: Who owns it?

Ortagus: I don’t know who owns it, but I love it. We went there for the summer and had a picnic outside. It was beautiful.

Leahy: Kix Brooks. He’s a Tennessean.

Here’s one: Who was Brigadier General Robert Reese Neyland?

Ortagus: Fifth.

Leahy: Legendary Tennessee football coach. Neyland Stadium was named after him.

There are four previous Republican governors who are still living, and live in Tennessee. Can you name them?

Ortagus: Well, let’s see. All four of them. No. I know Lee and Haslam. I met with Haslam right after I moved here. What a nice guy. And then, of course, I’ve met Governor Lee.

Leahy: Dunn, Alexander, Sundquist.

One of the most famous NASCAR drivers living today lives in the 5th District and has a large auto dealership in Franklin. Who is that?

Ortagus: My husband is the car guy. He used to race. He knows all of the racing stuff.

Leahy: Darrell Waltrip.

This is a Tennessee one, okay?

Ortagus: I think they all are Tennessee ones.

Leahy: Crom, this might be interesting for you. Who was the only Tennessee governor who ever served time in prison for crimes committed while in office?

Ortagus: Ooh.

Carmichael: I know that one. (Leahy laughs)

Leahy: (Chuckles) Well, we’ll give you a hint. He’s a Democrat.

Ortagus: Yes, I was just going to say…

Leahy: You know the party, Ray Blanton.

A rather well-known Confederate general – one whose name and history have been a source of enormous controversy in Tennessee the last few years – was born and raised in the community of Chapel Hill, in the 5th district. Who was he?

Ortagus: I don’t know.

Leahy: Nathan Bedford Forrest.

What county is Chapel Hill in?

Ortagus: I don’t know.

Leahy: Marshall County. It’s in your district.

Yes, she's a carpetbagger...

https://tennesseestar.com/2022/02/28/morgan-ortagus-demonstrates-limited-knowledge-of-tennessees-5th-congressional-district-she-seeks-to-represent/

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's great that John Roberts thinks that umpires are a good model for Judges, but what does he think happens to the game when the umps decide to just leave the field?

DeSantis is the very model of shamelessness.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's great that John Roberts thinks that umpires are a good model for Judges, but what does he think happens to the game when the umps decide to just leave the field?

Not sure anyone who has watched baseball so far this year wants umps as a model 🤣

• Haha 1