2022 NBA Draft Night

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why do Stew and Duren need to play together.   The Pistons are building a solid rotation of young players.  They might be able to wear some teams down and Cade will play more at the speed he probably wants.  

They don't.  But it may be the Piston's intentions to make these two the starting front court and that is what I am worried about.  

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Duren could be maybe 3-5yr from whatever his final product is going to be? Big men normally take a while.

His swing skill will be perimeter defense.  He is listed at 250 pounds so he is huge and can bang with the Jokic and Embiid types.  If he can also move laterally well enough to stay on the court in the playoffs, he's a unicorn on defense.  I can't think of anyone in the league that can defend traditional bigs and the perimeter.  

Duren will definitely take a few years. He’s one of the youngest players in this draft. People like to compare Stewart to Ben Wallace (poor comparison) but Duren might actually be a better comparison to Ben with his length, strength, and athleticism. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Duren could be maybe 3-5yr from whatever his final product is going to be? Big men normally take a while.

Yep.  Again, this guy was being compared to Chris Webber in high school.  He might have been drafted higher if he came out last year.  I just think expectations were probably too high for him at Memphis because it does take big men more time to develop.  

40 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Duren will definitely take a few years. He’s one of the youngest players in this draft. People like to compare Stewart to Ben Wallace (poor comparison) but Duren might actually be a better comparison to Ben with his length, strength, and athleticism. 

This makes me think that they'll still pursue Ayton. Sign Ayton to a 4 year deal and Duren will be fully ready to take on the prominent center role by then or even a year or two before then. However, adding Duren lessens the urgency to splurge for Ayton. I wonder if they make a run at Bridges after the way this draft played out, not a great 3 point shooter but a prime scorer on the wing.

so bottom line - very impressive the way Weaver got what he wanted. It was a complex plan and he pulled it all together. So he gets an A+ as GM in terms of working the knobs and switches.

The answer to the "second" question is unknown for now, which is whether the strategy he has been successful at is a winning strategy or not.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so bottom line - very impressive the way Weaver got what he wanted. It was a complex plan and he pulled it all together. So he gets an A+ as GM in terms of working the knobs and switches.

The answer to the "second" question is unknown for now, which is whether the strategy he has been successful at is a winning strategy or not.

3 of our 4 GMs seem to really grasp what the draft is all about.   Guess who the 4th is ? 

JEIII saying now that he thinks the Pistons might not go after Ayton after the wild success of the draft. Weaver didn’t think Ivey would fall to them and expected Duren to go higher. May just sign some vets. 

I’m cool with that. Let this core grow before you blow your cash on long term max deals. 

45 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Gabiela Procida from Italy seems like he could be somebody to look at with the 36th pick. 6'8 wing who can really shoot from all over the court.  Definitely has some concerns but for the 36th pick he could be somebody to take a chance on.

Powerball numbers for Saturday please...?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Gabiela Procida from Italy seems like he could be somebody to look at with the 36th pick. 6'8 wing who can really shoot from all over the court.  Definitely has some concerns but for the 36th pick he could be somebody to take a chance on.

Woah, are you a wizard? Eerie

I had a feeling that Weaver would draft a stash kid. The roster already is overloaded with young guys as is.