2022 NBA Draft Night

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Man, Al Avila is getting dunked on by Lions fans. 

Well, he kind of deserves it, doesn't he?   

Brad Holmes worked the draft and got what he wanted.  Might not work out, but they played the game and got what they wanted.   And it looks like he got incredible value on a couple of post 2nd round picks last year and people are raving about a couple of post-2nd picks this year too.   We'll have to see.   

Pistons,  Troy Weaver in 2 of his 3 years has played the draft game and gotten multiple first round picks and I won't even count their easy #1 pick.   In those 2 drafts he's acquired Saddiq Bey, Isaiah Stewart, Jaden Ivey & Jalen Duren.    Honestly, all four could be starters, or at the least, legit rotational NBA guys.   

Red Wings.  Steve Yzerman picked the Rookie of the Year when we got screwed out of the top pick and all of us said "|Who?  A German?".  Another kid that finished 4th in the voting.  Five  more kids (Cossa, Edvinsson, Berggren, Wallinder  and Soderblom) who look like legit NHL players.   Picking up Ned (bad 2nd half, but gave up nothing) and Vrana for a guy they were benching for effort. 

Al?   Manning, Burrows,  Stewart, Faedo, MIze, Greene, Torkelson (won't count 2021).  Two of them are gone, 2 of them are hurt and 2 of them unproven.    Free agents that go bust.   Congrats on finding J.D.  Great move.   Not so much on the return of Jose King, Sergio Alcantara and Dawel Lugo.    Al's a joke.  Every single day more evidence that he needs to be fired - he'll be fine, he can retire a millionaire. 

Everything I've seen has the Pistons winning the draft and getting an A.

What a masterclass in GM work by Weaver over the past few days/weeks. That Grant trade turned out to be:

A 2022 lotto pick (#13 - Duren)
Move up 10 spots in the 2022 second round
2 future 2nd round picks
20M in cap which they haven't even spent yet (Kemba is getting bought out) 

Here's Weaver:

Givony calls it a "Homerun":

Sam Vecenie and his livecast partner "love the fit" with Cade and Ivey. I timestamped this on the DET pick but if you back it up a little you get a little more when they talk about the SAC pick:

And just for fun, RIP Hamilton's reaction:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, he kind of deserves it, doesn't he?   

Brad Holmes worked the draft and got what he wanted.  Might not work out, but they played the game and got what they wanted.   And it looks like he got incredible value on a couple of post 2nd round picks last year and people are raving about a couple of post-2nd picks this year too.   We'll have to see.   

Pistons,  Troy Weaver in 2 of his 3 years has played the draft game and gotten multiple first round picks and I won't even count their easy #1 pick.   In those 2 drafts he's acquired Saddiq Bey, Isaiah Stewart, Jaden Ivey & Jalen Duren.    Honestly, all four could be starters, or at the least, legit rotational NBA guys.   

Red Wings.  Steve Yzerman picked the Rookie of the Year when we got screwed out of the top pick and all of us said "|Who?  A German?".  Another kid that finished 4th in the voting.  Five  more kids (Cossa, Edvinsson, Berggren, Wallinder  and Soderblom) who look like legit NHL players.   Picking up Ned (bad 2nd half, but gave up nothing) and Vrana for a guy they were benching for effort. 

Al?   Manning, Burrows,  Stewart, Faedo, MIze, Greene, Torkelson (won't count 2021).  Two of them are gone, 2 of them are hurt and 2 of them unproven.    Free agents that go bust.   Congrats on finding J.D.  Great move.   Not so much on the return of Jose King, Sergio Alcantara and Dawel Lugo.    Al's a joke.  Every single day more evidence that he needs to be fired - he'll be fine, he can retire a millionaire. 

Oh, and where are the later round picks for Al?    Congrats on Brieske.   Needs to happen every year.  Every year you need to find a bona fide MLB player after the first round.  

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh, and where are the later round picks for Al?    Congrats on Brieske.   Needs to happen every year.  Every year you need to find a bona fide MLB player after the first round.  

Im not really a big Al fan. But I do like Workman, Keith, and Dingler..... Not sold on Trea. I think those 3 will be good though. That was the best draft the Tigers have had in probably 30 years....... Time will tell though.

I forgot to point it out on draft night but one thing I noticed about Ivey is he is taller than I expected. I gauge this by seeing his height when standing next to Adam Silver. I like to use this measurement to gauge a player's actual height that wasn't listed at the combine and if you look at Ivey with Silver there wasn't a whole lot of difference then there was with Ben Mathurin with him who was taken right after him and was listed 2 inches taller. Using the Silver comparison I saw may be a half inch to inch at most.

After I noticed that, out of curiosity I went and compared it to Ja Morant and Jaylen Brown as well since I seen multiple people use the Tatum/Brown comparison for what Cade and Ivey could potentially be and the comparisons between him and Ja have been beaten to death. I saw little difference between him and Jaylen, maybe an inch at most in Brown's favor.  Jaden appeared probably 2 inches taller than Ja cause Ja was shorter than Silver where as Jaden was a little taller than him. 

Now granted this isn't an exact science since we don't know the exact footwear everybody was wearing and sometimes pictures can be deceiving but it does give you a rough estimate of a player's true height and judging by this Ivey is maybe an inch or 2 taller than I thought he may have been which is obviously a good thing.

He was listed at 6'4 and usually a player is a couple inches shorter than their listed height so that was what I was kinda expecting but Ivey appears to be closer to being legit 6'4 without shoes so the listed height may be one of the rare ones that is indeed accurate. I think he just appeared shorter watching him at Purdue cause Purdue was a bit of a throwback team in regards to the fact that they still rostered a bunch of taller players, particularly by college basketball standards. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another thing I don't like about Victor. He signed with a team that won't be playing in EuroLeague.  I would prefer he wanted to play against the best but I suppose all it could do is hurt his draft stock.

The team that loses the lottery and ends up with Scoot Henderson at #2 might be the real winner. 

After those two it is still a good draft. But those two are top two locks right now.

Just announced that Chet to indeed miss the entire season due to a lisfranc injury in his foot. That injury is no joke so even though he may have been able to return sooner if they really pushed him I don't blame them for taking it slow and being overcautious.

Plus it gives them a better chance of finishing last and draft in the top 3 again like I'm sure they were hoping for anyway 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just announced that Chet to indeed miss the entire season due to a lisfranc injury in his foot. That injury is no joke so even though he may have been able to return sooner if they really pushed him I don't blame them for taking it slow and being overcautious.

Plus it gives them a better chance of finishing last and draft in the top 3 again like I'm sure they were hoping for anyway 

Talk about a franchise that could use another top draft pick, eh?