Abortion and the Politics of Reproductive Rights in the Post-Roe Era

chasfh

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

So what happens if that passes?  It automatically becomes an amendment?  While I agree with this motive I'm not sure I agree with that process.

The state GOP Legislature will find a way to nullify it like they did with Right to Work a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

So what happens if that passes?  It automatically becomes an amendment?  While I agree with this motive I'm not sure I agree with that process.

In 2018 NC had several proposed amendments up for vote during the mid-term elections. The Voter ID was one of them. It passed with a large majority. One legal challenge after another has prevented the amendment from becoming law here. A book could be written on all the legal moves and challenges this has seen since 2018. 

3 hours ago, oblong said:

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

The state GOP Legislature will find a way to nullify it like they did with Right to Work a few years ago. 

Michigan has two public petition options, one for proposals, one for Constitutional amendments. The abortion initiative is a Constitutional amendment. The legislature can have no input on that other than to try have the courts rule it is flawed in some way - but that is going to be nearly impossible with the simple language. The GOP did try that with the redistricting amendment and failed pretty miserably.

The voter access proposal is a voter legislative initiative. The state legislature can short circuit one of these becoming law if it passes a substantially similar law. That is where there has definitely been some abuse and I really don't know the limits of what the legislature is allowed to change. There are some complexities around voter initiatives and things that require budget expenditures that the legislature has been able to use to thwart previous initiatives, but I'd have to look them up as I don't remember the details.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

as a practical matter, voters in MI have been showing their ID to vote for as long as I have been voting.

That said, seeing as how voting has been established as a constitutional right, I don't think its regulation should be subject to voter fiat. Especially since we have seen how the requirements for what constitutes voter ID can be easily manipulated.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

The "life" person says that a 10 year old being able to terminate her pregnancy is not an abortion.  I didn't specify it was due to a rape because obviously anytime a 10 year old is pregnant it was rape.

I like how Swalwell posed the question to the other witness about whether the procedure was considered an abortion. That way he doesn't have to take the heat for browbeating the first witness into submission.

That first witness is nothing but a disingenuous political hack.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:51 AM, chasfh said:

I believe because the legacy of slavery in the south, with its lingering social impact, has hampered economic development in the deep south for generations still to come. Companies relocate to other city downtowns (like Chicago) all the time, but none of them go to deep southern cities, despite the favorable weather and corporate tax advantages, because no company with a highly-educated executive workforce could ever get their people to relocate to Birmingham, Alabama.

And as states like Alabama race to the bottom to punish people for having pregnancies they don't want or otherwise can't handle, they are not only never going to have highly-educated people wanting move there, but they will also experience a brain drain of people who grow up there as these states enact more and worse punishing fascistic laws.

And that's perfectly OK with the evangelical Christians who run politics in the deep south because of the book of Genesis. Always remember that Eve did not tempt Adam with fruit from an apple tree. The story is that she tempted him with fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

It is knowledge that so many people who run politics in the deep south fear. They fear smart people. They don't want them around. Smart people are too smart for them. Smart people make people who run things in the deep south feel inadequate about themselves.

That's what these retrograde abortion laws (not to mention voting restrictions and open gun laws and all the rest of that) will finally accomplish: they will keep highly-educated smart people from moving there, and they will drive the highly-educated smart people who are still there away as well.

Detractors might point to Atlanta and say see, you're wrong, they're in the deep south and look, they have a thriving economy. To which I would say, all that came when Atlanta tried to be like the north when it came to social and legal protections. Now that Georgia is engaged in a race to the bottom as well, that will eventually change because sooner than later, no one will want to live there anymore, either. I promise you.

Pursuant to this post from the SCOTUS thread a couple of months ago:

3. Abortion bans are shaping living preferences

fallback.png

Data: Axios/Generation Lab; Chart: Nicki Camberg/Axios

Many young Americans say state abortion laws will influence where they choose to live, according to a new Generation Lab/Axios poll, Axios' Oriana Gonzalez reports.

Why it matters: Several states are banning or heavily restricting abortions after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. The survey's findings suggest the ruling may significantly influence where Americans ages 18-29 are willing to attend college, move for work or build families.

By the numbers: 62% of young women and 53% of young men said a state's abortion laws would at least "somewhat" affect their decision on where to live.

• Democrats (67%) were nearly twice as likely as Republicans (36%) to say so.

Read on.

12 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Lots of people who give a damn.

Just... NOT... Republicans.

Well, as some have pointed out in their posts, they’re questioning why women’s voting turnout isn’t much higher.  While I agree it should be, my question back is …

why aren’t men’s voting turnout higher?

Why weren’t there a much more pronounced presence of men in the many Roe protests?  Shouldn’t there be more?

Where, exactly, ARE the men that don’t want to see their wives, girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters DIE because a woman can’t be TRUSTED with the decision that a pregnancy will or won’t be terminated for whatever reason?

Giving a damn is great… actually doing something about it would be greater.

21 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Well, as some have pointed out in their posts, they’re questioning why women’s voting turnout isn’t much higher.  While I agree it should be, my question back is …

why aren’t men’s voting turnout higher?

Why weren’t there a much more pronounced presence of men in the many Roe protests?  Shouldn’t there be more?

Where, exactly, ARE the men that don’t want to see their wives, girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters DIE because a woman can’t be TRUSTED with the decision that a pregnancy will or won’t be terminated for whatever reason?

Giving a damn is great… actually doing something about it would be greater.

The AFT just passed a resolution supporting reproductive rights including access to abortion. That's not surprising given the general left lean of a labor union. What was surprising is that it was unanimous as we are not without our Fundamentalists. Perhaps some of the poignant, personal stories from fellow delegates caused them to change their minds or at least sit on their hands. 

• Thanks 1