Abortion and the Politics of Reproductive Rights in the Post-Roe Era

chasfh

23 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Have your travel papers and passport ready. It’s coming from our new Trumpian Overlords 

This will all attain its platonic Handmaid ideal when a pregnant woman goes to a state where abortion is legal, comes back still pregnant, and gets arrested for attempted out-of-state abortion.

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

These people have probably read the Constitution about as much as they’ve read the Bible.

I doubt that.

The bible is a daily thing.

They haven't read the Constitution in 40 years, since they had it in that one class with Professor ... errr, ummm... Professor ... ummm... 

Professor John Paul II?

This is what happens when you have knee jerk theocratic politicians focused on what they see as the sin of premarital sex and want to use laws to cramp down on what they see as slutty women.  They don't think things through. 

Pro life my ass.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

This is what happens when you have knee jerk theocratic politicians focused on what they see as the sin of premarital sex and want to use laws to cramp down on what they see as slutty women.  They don't think things through. 

Pro life my ass.

Politicians like slutty women.  They pretend not to so they can appeal to evangelicals.  

• Haha 1

should also have the courage and respect towards women to let them make their own decisions about their health and body.  If he's a devout catholic so be it.  He can live that life if he chooses.  It's also easy for a man to talk such a way when they're not the ones facing death or physical harm.

Harbaugh is sharing a thought on what someone's personal philosophy should be but that's not enough to make it into law. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, oblong said:

should also have the courage and respect towards women to let them make their own decisions about their health and body.  If he's a devout catholic so be it.  He can live that life if he chooses.  It's also easy for a man to talk such a way when they're not the ones facing death or physical harm.

Harbaugh is sharing a thought on what someone's personal philosophy should be but that's not enough to make it into law. 

Agreed, I just like hearing this from a non right wing nut job. It's a conversation that needs to be had at this point. Maybe women should be the only ones allowed to vote when it comes to states opting in or out for abortions? Sounds fair to me.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

The other thing for Harbaugh here is that he thinks in his own ego he is being courageous saying this in public given the context of his employer, but in reality he is just being a fool, giving ammunition to all the forces at the U that would deny him resources and prerogatives he is going to need to fight for in order to position his program to have a seat at the table shaping the future of his sport. 

short version, if he cared about his program he’d keep his mouth shut about his personal beliefs. 

Edited by gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other thing for Harbaugh here is that he thinks in his own ego he is being courageous saying this in public given the context of his employer, but in reality he is just being a fool, giving ammunition to all the forces at the U that would deny him resources and prerogatives he is going to need to fight for in order to position his program to have a seat at the table shaping the future of his sport. 

short version, if he cared about his program he’d keep his mouth shut about his personal beliefs. 

Sounds like "Shut up and dribble".

17 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Sounds like "Shut up and dribble".

In his case what he needs to do. His responsibilities in his role go beyond himself. You have no idea the kind of hornets nest he has just bought himself with 90% of the the institution he has to function politically within. He had every right to speak, but he can’t expect to also remain effective in his chosen role if he decides to tilt at the very windmill that grinds his grain. 

if he wants to be a conservative crusader against US academic liberal values, more power to him, but you can’t undertake that role from the one he is in without hurting the players you are there to serve.  Freedom doesn’t mean free lunches. 

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In his case what he needs to do. His responsibilities in his role go beyond himself. You have no idea the kind of hornets nest he has just bought himself with 90% of the the institution he has to function politically within. He had every right to speak, but he can’t expect to also remain effective in his chosen role if he decides to tilt at the very windmill that grinds his grain. 

Maybe his beliefs mean more to him than money and fame?

I am a die hard Notre Dame fan so rocking the Michigan boat does not bother me! 🤣

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Maybe his beliefs mean more to him than money and fame?

I am a die hard Notre Dame fan so rocking the Michigan boat does not bother me! 🤣

His money and fame don’t interest me,  his beliefs don’t interest me. The program he is responsible for does. I grant him no right to torpedo the latter with the former. 

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

His money and fame don’t interest me,  his beliefs don’t interest me. The program he is responsible for does. I grant him no right to torpedo the latter with the former. 

At the end of the day it is a silly sport in the grand scheme of things. You think they might fire him or have grounds to over this? I know you are on the inside so I was just curious your thoughts.

I find it disgusting that the Catholic Church is using its power to take such a public stance against abortion after they spent the better part of 50 years covering up for their active clergy and allowing them to sexually abuse thousands of children.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Agreed, I just like hearing this from a non right wing nut job. It's a conversation that needs to be had at this point. Maybe women should be the only ones allowed to vote when it comes to states opting in or out for abortions? Sounds fair to me.

I don't know if they should be the only ones to vote, but I value a woman's opinion (even if it's pro-life) on abortion over a man's opinion.  

3 hours ago, pfife said:

I think (from what I read) that where he stepped in it was suggesting it was courageous to have the child, which infers it is not courageous to not have the child. 

I was thinking about that after I posted. The use of that word is very insensitive to the often very difficult position a woman and her doctors face.  It’s insulting.  Like if you don’t agree with him then you are just a weak person.  Get that machismo bullshit out of here.