Abortion and the Politics of Reproductive Rights in the Post-Roe Era

chasfh

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've thought Harbaugh was a nut ball since he was a student, am I only allowed to say "What a nice guy - but gee, I do disagree with him a bit"? Criticism of what a person believes is by nature 'personal' so my question is where is your proposed line in this case?  Clearly advocating university action against him, doxing etc, crosses the line, but I would say that in political criticism 'snide' is absolutely in play as it usually related directly to implied hypocrisy. And it's also rich in Harbaugh's case who has always been so quick with snide criticism of other coaches and opponents.

Personally, I have tried not to attack the person when I disagree with someone. The ideas and words expressed by individuals do originate with the person, or at least are conveyed through the person. But, I try to avoid derogatory comments attacking THE person. Am I perfect on that? NO! When I read comments here that involve the person’s family, that is bothersome, a low bar. Criticize Harbaugh’s position all you want. 

As far as Harbaugh’s history, you guys are far more knowledgeable than I as I don’t live in that part of the country. I am only responding to the specific topic that was his comments surrounding his willingness to adopt. 

19 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Harbaugh doesn’t need to tell anybody anything. That he he chooses to speak out on the topic shouldn’t make him fair game for personal attacks. 

That a public figure publicly states that he and his family are willing to adopt a child, that may be without a home otherwise, is construed as a display arrogance is difficult to believe in a real sense. Has the politics surrounding this issue moved that far from reality?

I’m totally missing the “better than you vibe” as well. 

My impression is that you aren’t very fond of Harbaugh, politics or not. Just…an impression. 

I don't have any opinion of Harbaugh.  I don't do football.  He's just a name to me.  

He's presenting an overly simplistic opinion on a narrow situation on a very complicated topic and inferring, as pfife pointed out, that his method is courageous and by default is inferring that if you don't follow his method then you lack courage.  He's the one making personal attacks. I think that lady in Texas would disagree.  Legislators are focusing on just one small problem and the consequences of that extend a lot further.

He's also a public employee (highest paid state employee in MI) making political statements and involving his family so I fail to see how they are not possibly fair game for criticism.

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

"Unintended" is both incorrect and too generous. Predictable, understood and judged irrelevant is more accurate.

“Intended” might not be too far off the mark. Having power over life and death and seeing it play out in real time is a hell of an elixir for some.

If they put it up to a vote in all 50 states, the pro-choice position would win 50 out of 50 times and abortion would be safe, effective, and legal everywhere. So the only real strategy Republicans have is to remove voters from the equation entirely, because otherwise the people would just get what they want. 

Edited by chasfh

1 minute ago, oblong said:

After Kansas do they have the guts to put them on the ballot?

only about half the states have voter initiative processes, though in others the state legislature can put something on the ballot. Of course it's the legislatures who are out of sync on the issue so we're not likely to see that happen.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Who'da think this extremist legislation would end up having repercussions? You’re going to see more of this coming up. 

I’ve said before that I think we will have a case where a woman in her mid 40’s with teenage kids will become the face of the movement when forced to carry on with an at risk pregnancy with tragic results.  Too many pro lifers think this is about “trashy women” who want consequence free sex.  Shameful.  

• 3 weeks later...