Abortion and the Politics of Reproductive Rights in the Post-Roe Era

chasfh

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, oblong said:

The extremists will blame her for going through fertility treatments and tell her she should have adopted.

The general MO from a couple of these stories I have read has been to blame the doctors for not acting.

Never mind that when you have a license in anything, be it a medical license, engineering, law, accounting, etc., it would be insane to risk it by going against the letter of the law, inviting professional sanction, lawsuits or even jail time.

I guess it's just easier for Texas Rs to pretend that the laws they wrote have exceptions that they do not, in fact, have written into them than it is to admit they wrote a bad law.

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

I just get angrier and more filled with despair every day.  So many women are going to die.  
Do people really not understand that this will happen?  

They say things like "well that's bad, yes, but.... what about the people who just sleep around?"

It's easy to come up with a solution when you don't have to pay any consequences.

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

I just get angrier and more filled with despair every day.  So many women are going to die.  
Do people really not understand that this will happen?  

It’s infuriating, and it seems the anger of this has let up since the SCOTUS ruling. I’m feeling this isn’t the galvanizing voting issue for those on the left that I thought it would be. I hope I’m wrong. 

23 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Only one side cares about that.

I'm still hoping motivated women voters outvote the "but the economy" backsliders.

Don’t you think motivated men should be part of that mix? Jesus. It’s always laid at the feet of it being a woman’s responsibility now how the vote goes. Come on. Takes two to tango.  

(edited because it somehow doubled up.  I’m old and sometimes repetitive, but not THAT a bad. 😁)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Don’t you think motivated men should be part of that mix? Jesus. It’s always laid at the feet of it being a woman’s responsibility now how the vote goes. Come on. Takes two to tango...

Absolutely. Of course.

I'm motivated. Always have been. And it's not only women's responsibility. It's EVERYONE's responsibility who prefer to live in a democracy versus a fascist state, in a democracy versus a theocracy, in country of freedoms that aren't trampled upon by others, including freedom to vote, freedom to live and not be senselessly gunned down, freedom to make one's own choices about personal health care, personal sexuality, personal marital choices... etc.

But what I am talking to is specifically where the swing votes will come from. Sometimes it's from Independents who swing an election one way or the other. Sometimes it's enthusiasm by the base. Sometimes people really harp on the youth vote getting out and voting which is an exceptionally difficult demographic to motivate. Sometimes it is suburban women who are the swing voters. These things ebb and flow each election. Regardless, I have 1,001 reasons to vote straight ticket Dem. And I will absolutely do so. From local councils all the way to the highest position on the ticket up for a vote this cycle.

But I'm also being realistic. I believe that in order for Dems to retain the House and Senate... that the women's vote is critical. This cycle. And maybe for the next several.

Guys will waver (not me) and say "Oh but the economy." I'll say this again, and I mean it: I am hoping that motivated women outvote the backsliding Independent men that I know are out there.

Edited by 1984Echoes

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the problem may be that more women buy groceries than men.

I think conservative women will vote conservative, regardless of the cost of groceries... 

And women outraged by the overturning of Roe will vote Dem, regardless of the cost of groceries.

It is Independent men who will backslide.

17 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Don’t you think motivated men should be part of that mix? Jesus. It’s always laid at the feet of it being a woman’s responsibility now how the vote goes. Come on. Takes two to tango.Don’t you think motivated men should be part of that mix? Jesus. It’s always laid at the feet of it being a woman’s responsibility now how the vote goes. Come on. Takes two to tango.

I hear you, Sue, and you're totally right on the tangoing, but respectfully, let's be real here: by and large, men simply do not see abortion as their issue. Not even men who have caused women to get abortions care about abortion as an issue. To them, it's just a few bucks out of their pocket, if even that, so no big whoop. There will always be exceptions, like 1984Echoes, but on balance, men will never feel abortion as acutely as women do—if most men feel anything about it at all.

Abortion may be the most imbalanced political issue in recent history.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

Men need to understand this could be their wives, daughters,sisters, even mothers in the case of 18-20 year olds.  

That would require empathy.

Plus, that could never happen to my family. We're god-fearing church-tithing Christians.